Seek advice for a trip between Calgary and Ottawa - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #21

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
See you on the road. I'll be leaving Halifax on August 11th to head to Canmore and back.

I agree with everyone else....Take the north shore of the lake. You'll be missing out. It's a fantastic drive. Any provincial park along the shore will be a great stop.

And the 401 isn't that scary. Get on, find your lane, and cruise.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post
See you on the road. I'll be leaving Halifax on August 11th to head to Canmore and back.

I agree with everyone else....Take the north shore of the lake. You'll be missing out. It's a fantastic drive. Any provincial park along the shore will be a great stop.

And the 401 isn't that scary. Get on, find your lane, and cruise.
Hi Chris,

I wish you have wonderful time in Alberta. Some years later I may visit the far east, such as Halifax, never been there yet.

I Love this community so much - it is fantastic!

Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
I agree with James Kent . I would take his suggested route on my return trip . For a trip around Lake Superior , I've always advised a counter clockwise route as the scenery is much better on the northwest side .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #24

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Two years ago on our trip from southern Ontario to Calgary and the Rockies we drove out around the north side of the great lakes. It was a beautiful drive and I wanted my kids to experience the drive through Canada. I took some time to see a few sights but it was a long drive for sure, I think it took us 5 days to get to Manitoba.
On the way home from the Rockies we cut through North Dakota and along the U.P. in Michigan. Seemed to be a quicker drive although there was less to see and stop at too. Took us about 3 days of driving long hauls (from the ND border).
The last two times I drove to and past Chicago it was without the trailer and I am not sure I would go that route. It's major highway and fast traffic. I like the smaller slower roads when towing. It may take longer but it feels better.

The Northern Ontario route is beautiful and if you have never done it I would recommend it (just like James) If you just want to make time then the Michigan route is a little quicker in my opinion. I would avoid Chicago. Save your patience and nerves for driving the 401 from Windsor to Ottawa.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #25

Alberta
Appreciate everyone's posting

We appreciate every contribution from everyone - Thank you!

The final route with stops are shown in figure below. Have booked some of the camping lots. I'll spend 26 days for this trip.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in coming trips within next few years.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-02-07_12-48-01.jpg  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 PM   #26

Name: Myron
Trailer: In the market
Minnesota
You're in for a great trip

Just saw this thread and wanted to say you picked a great route for traveling. Avoiding Chicago a good choice. I live in Duluth, so you'll come through my city on your way. There will be much more to see than you'll have time for, so make a "must see/do" list before you leave. I offer two suggestions. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is the best side. Skip the American side. Second, just a few miles north of Thunder Bay is the Terry Fox memorial. This is a must stop. The view of the great lake is spectacular and the remembrance of a great Canadian just makes it sweeter.

Have a wonderful trip.
clearis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #27

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearis View Post
Just saw this thread and wanted to say you picked a great route for traveling. Avoiding Chicago a good choice. I live in Duluth, so you'll come through my city on your way. There will be much more to see than you'll have time for, so make a "must see/do" list before you leave. I offer two suggestions. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is the best side. Skip the American side. Second, just a few miles north of Thunder Bay is the Terry Fox memorial. This is a must stop. The view of the great lake is spectacular and the remembrance of a great Canadian just makes it sweeter.

Have a wonderful trip.
Hi Myron,
Thank you very much for suggestions. This is the wonderful place to make our camping better and so enjoy our life more.

Eric
Old 03-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #28

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Looks like you will be crossing the border at the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron/Sarnia. That's a busy border crossing but it is open 24 hours. As a general rule of thumb you might not want to cross at rush hour. I'd check the wait times online when I get close.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #29

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Michigan View Post
Looks like you will be crossing the border at the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron/Sarnia. That's a busy border crossing but it is open 24 hours. As a general rule of thumb you might not want to cross at rush hour. I'd check the wait times online when I get close.
Thank you - Lisa, for the information.

Eric
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #30

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
Alt route in Alberta

After Banff, a really scenic alternative route is to take the 'Cowboy Highway' #22 south from the Trans Canada. Much more interesting than Highway 1 and the Bar U ranch national historic site is well worth a stop. There is a good municipal campground in Pincher Creek too.

You then take highway 3 east through Lethbridge and Taber and rejoin 1 at Medicine Hat.

more interesting, more fun, longer and slower! Your choice .....
Old 03-29-2017, 10:20 PM   #31

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRL001 View Post
After Banff, a really scenic alternative route is to take the 'Cowboy Highway' #22 south from the Trans Canada. Much more interesting than Highway 1 and the Bar U ranch national historic site is well worth a stop. There is a good municipal campground in Pincher Creek too.

You then take highway 3 east through Lethbridge and Taber and rejoin 1 at Medicine Hat.

more interesting, more fun, longer and slower! Your choice .....
Thank you - Ritchie, this is a very interesting route, will try to enjoy it when the time comes.