Skagway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
We took our Casita to Skagway in September of '04. I didn't think the road was any worse than many of the passes in the lower 48. I can't remember the name of the little RV park we stayed in, but it was right in town and convenient. There is a Park Service campground over toward Dyea, that would be more aesthetic if you can do without hookups.

Nancy and I may be the only ones on this forum who hauled a fiberglass trailer all the way to Prudhoe Bay. I am glad we made the trip, but wouldn't do it again with a more valuable trailer. We had a very beat-up old Scamp at the time and that trip beat it up a lot worse. Four hundred miles of gravel really pockmarked the front of the trailer and we also had a break in the frame that had to be welded. In dry weather there is so much dust on the Dalton Highway that they water it down with tankers. Our truck and trailer were totally coated with a silty mud that dried like concrete. Not a great look for a white trailer. A truck mounted camper is the most appropriate RV for that road. However on later trips up there, much of the road south of Coldfoot had been paved. But we took a tent instead of the trailer. I have also been up the road to Chicken and beyond and would hesitate to take a fiberglass egg on that one for the same reasons. Too much washboard and flying rock.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
Quote:
We took our Casita to Skagway in September of '04. I didn't think the road was any worse than many of the passes in the lower 48. I can't remember the name of the little RV park we stayed in, but it was right in town and convenient. There is a Park Service campground over toward Dyea, that would be more aesthetic if you can do without hookups.

Nancy and I may be the only ones on this forum who hauled a fiberglass trailer all the way to Prudhoe Bay. I am glad we made the trip, but wouldn't do it again with a more valuable trailer. We had a very beat-up old Scamp at the time and that trip beat it up a lot worse. Four hundred miles of gravel really pockmarked the front of the trailer and we also had a break in the frame that had to be welded. In dry weather there is so much dust on the Dalton Highway that they water it down with tankers. Our truck and trailer were totally coated with a silty mud that dried like concrete. Not a great look for a white trailer. A truck mounted camper is the most appropriate RV for that road. However on later trips up there, much of the road south of Coldfoot had been paved. But we took a tent instead of the trailer. I have also been up the road to Chicken and beyond and would hesitate to take a fiberglass egg on that one for the same reasons. Too much washboard and flying rock.
Hi David and nancy,
We're planning a trip to the Yukon and Alaska this year - hoping to leave by the end of May (from Edmonton, Alberta). From Whitehorse we were planning to go to Dawson City and on to Tetlin Jct. via the Top of the World Hwy. I thought there was only a very short part of that Hwy that wasn't paved. We pull an Oxygen trailer with a Ford Freestar van. Should we change our plans and go back over Whitehorse? Has anyone else done this route?
Emma.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 1977 Scamp
It has been several years since we made the trek up the Alcan to Alaska, but would recommend it to anyone.

At that time 2002, We pulled a Coleman Popup from Western New York, across Canada, up the Alcan, to Tok, Down through Glenallen to Valdez, up to Anchorage, and then finally up to Fairbanks. The roads in Alaska were surprisingly good, even the Dalton Highway (which we took up to the Artic Circle).

The worst section of the road we ran into was between Haines Junction and Alaska (around Destruction Bay) From what I understand, this section of road gets wiped out every spring and they have to repair it. It was pretty rough.

Didn't have any issue towing a camper on any of the roads, but it did get beaten up by the rocks quite a bit. Shattered the battery case, sandblasted the tongue/frame, etc. The worst part was when a rock bounced off the trailer and shattered the rear window. This happened in the middle of the night, just north of Whitehorse. It was quite a scare, especially to the kids...

For anyone planning on a trip up the Alcan and in Alaska, Top of the world, etc, I highly recommend that you buy yourself a current copy of the MilePost (http://milepost.com/). The MilePost is the best source for road conditions, fuel locations, sights to see, construction, etc. It will be a lifesaver...

My wife and I did it with 4 of our kids in a van and popup, and we enjoyed it enough that we are planning on going back, but without the kids next time....