Ski-Wonderland in Mammoth - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
Can you post more detail about the "old furnaces" you mentioned will produce 16,000 dry heat btu's

Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young

Dear Ami,

Sorry for the delay, I got called to duty at the volunteer fire department, I get called without notice sometimes, afterward I often come home and crash a couple of days getting up for work only. (getting to old for this stuff now) Below is an Ebay link to the type of old convective furnace I am talking about, most "rusty" people on this site know about them...You might put a call out out on the F.B.R.V. website for one of these older units asking if anyone has one they have removed?...The example I have sent is a side discharge vent/air supply tube type, you most likely have a need for a rear discharge vent/supply tube type...I do not know the inside design of your trailer to advise you which way you would go. These older furnaces are well loved and [b]often recycled. Ebay has a steady consistent parade of them which has reliably turned up on their site. The Canadian Ebay site had allot of them. The old suburban brand that was put into the 70s era Acorns and latter into early Scamp 13s were very small and good.

You sound like a savy person who knows how to camp, glad you were never in any danger, safe camping always and good journeys in the future.

F.Y.I. if you decide to purchase one of these furnaces I have the outside vent/air intake assembly to this type of furnace in my shop in storage, this is the assembly that sits outside the trailer, you are welcome to it.

Can you post more detail about the "old furnaces" you mentioned will produce 16,000 dry heat btu's

Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
Originally there was a defective rear venting Suburban furnace I removed. I'd like one that does not use 12V. Can you specify some that would work?
Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #18
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
If you plan to do this sort of camping regulalrly, get a Honda 2000 watt generator and a good lock chain to make sure it does not walk off. Electric heat, charged batteries, home cooked meals near a wonderful ski resort. What could be better!?!

My wife and I have been out camping in temperatures a few degrees below zero and had a great time. Even though we used 'dry' electric heat, we still had condensation problems.

Our backup plan was to go home if the weather got really bad or the power failed.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
Trailer: 1994 Lite House
get a large hunting type sleeping bag rated to 0 deg or so. then get a light mummy summer bag rated at 20f or so. stuff the mummy in the camp bag and you will be so warm you will sweat. also i know there is a full hookup camp in bridgeport about an hour north of mammoth. and i think there may be one in lee vining as well. aside from that id go with a generator if you got one. what about using those damp rid bags or balls to get rid of some of the moisture. im not sure how fast they work but we used them while full timing in the winter and i remember emptying them a lot.

curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote