Small is beautiful - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Small is beautiful

WOW!

The beauty of having a small trailer is that even at the "last minute" many off the chart desirable locations can still find a slot for you.

We are working on escaping Michigan for the winter (and also considering joining Escapees). At what seemed to be the 11 hour I became frustrated with a few on-line RV campgrounds when checking availability.

One is on Jekyll Island, Georgia and the other is much further south in the Florida Keys.

So moving to the old fashioned way of gathering info I picked up the phone and called both places.

The initial answer was virtually identical... "We have no availability until late April and early May."

As I expressed disappointment and commented I realized it was late for booking slots I had hoped with a smaller trailer we might still find something.

Then each person asked what size "rig" we had. When I replied a Scamp 16' travel trailer, no slides etc. Each put me on hold and came back on the line quickly and indicated given that we AHEM only had a small travel trailer they did have a slot open for longer term stays.

Whooopeeeeeeeeee

Big Rig folks eat your heart out as there is no more room for behemoths.

So we have 42 days in the Keys and 21 days in Ga.

Just another of the multitude of advantages to our realm of FBRVs!!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
SO TRUE! We have found space many times in many desirable locations due to the small size of our Scamp13!
Stone Mountain, Myrtle Beach, Ohio Key, just to name a few.
Love my Scamp!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
The same happened for us three times this year. In Ely we ended upon a beautiful spot overlooking the lake,just big enough for our 15 footer to sit level. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1447608209.099695.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	90505

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bat Dude, we will be on Jekyll starting Dec. 1. When will you be there? Monthly rate is cheaper, but I'm sure they told you that. Can you tell me where in the Keys, we've been trying to get a site down there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
You will really enjoy the campground at Jekyll Island. Also, you should consider some of the Federal Parks like Smokemont in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and is surrounded by the mountains of Gatlinburg TN & Cherokee NC. This beautiful campsite is rather large and has mountain streams surrounding it and is less than $20/day and almost always has available sites this time of year. There is also one about 45 minutes from us on lake Sinclair run by the US Forest Service and I believe you can camp their with water and electric for $14/day. There are smaller campgrounds scattered all over that I believe many folks don't know about or simply pass over for the bigger more popular ones...but in reality I think these smaller ones are the true gems of campsites
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #6

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
FYI we chose Jekyll as we visited there last year in March on our way north after teaching an acoustic bat workshop in So. Florida. We did not have our Scamp then and it was only a day trip.

However, Super dog friendly and was very appealing. It is going to be on the cooler side, but at least I won't need to shovel, blow snow or spread salt in order to reach the mail box or go get groceries.

Put ± 120 lbs of salt on our drive for a partial winter last year Nov-mid January before we escaped to So. California for another work related bat project.

Looking forward to heading south.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We, too, have found "last minute" spots when we drive into a campground that is "full". Often they are the "best to us" spots at the far end of the campground where we can look out and see the scenery. Sometimes the sites are without hookups but we're glad to boondock AND we often get a discount! It always pays off to talk to a "real person"! Yay for small FGRVs!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote