Smoke Hole Canyon WV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Smoke Hole Canyon WV

Smoke Hole Canyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Facility Details - BIG BEND (WV), WV - Recreation.gov
You will drive nine miles off of Rt 220 near Upper Tract WV through Smoke Hole Canyon to get to Big Band NFS Campground. Not too bad a pull just a very crooked narrow road that that follows the southern branch of the Potomac river. About three miles of the road are unpaved so expect a dirty trailer when you get there. You will be impressed by the views.
The campground host have been there 11 years, are great people and take pride in the campground. The CG is a NFS CG but it is run by a private company. They do honor the geezer Pass so the site is $10 per night with the pass. Fire wood is $7 per bundle or three bundles for $20. They do charge a dump fee of $7.
There are three loops, the bottom loop near the river is for Tent camping. The middle loop is a non-reserve loop. (4 campers there) The upper loop has reserved sites. (full).
The sites are mostly for tents and campers less than 20 ft. Each site had a fire ring, table and lantern pole no water or electric. The sites are paved where your car is parked and gravel over the rest of the site. The sites are fairly private.
The middle loop has a brand new bath facility. 4 private bath rooms with commode and sink. The other side of the building had four private showers. The building had lights and hot water showers.
The campground is surrounded by the river and tall canyon walls. The leaf colors will be great this week and this weekend. The big thing to do when there is a full moon is to walk to the upper loop and watch the moon rise. Then walk to the middle loop and watch the moon rise again, then walk to the bottom loop and watch the moon rise for the third time. Plenty of trout to catch and very easy to access the river
A very nice drive from the DC area. It's about 90 miles from I-66 and I -81 junction. No major mountains and you get to travel on a major interstate grade road for about 20 miles in the middle of no where in WV.
Take in what you need because there is nothing within 20 miles of the CG. You can also make a nice day trip to Senaca rocks , Spruce Knob and there are also several caverns in the area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_Knob
We really enjoyed our trip.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great report, I'll have to visit here.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Sounds like my kind of place and appears to be about a seven hour drive for us. Will definitely add it to our list. Thanks for posting.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Thanks for the really good write up Eddie. I love WVA in the fall, go there every year.
So...Where are your Photos? Really want to see them.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #5

Diane
We had low cloud cover and intermittent rain the whole time we were there until the morning we left. I linked to the internet photos since they were much better than anything I could have posted.
There is another road out of the canyon which heads north to Smoke Hole Caverns that is about 15 miles from the store which is 5 miles from Camp. The road goes up along the ridge of the canyon in some places. The fog was so thick it took well over an hour to get to the cavern because of the higher elevation.

The cavern is near Franklin WV. From you location you can take Rt. 220. Getting into WV on RT 33 or Rt 250 from I-81 you have to cross a steep mountain/s. We go over near Strausburg Va. If coming from the south I would go in through the small valley near New Market up to Lost River WV and hit Corridor H.
To get an Idea of the canyon, campground and roads go to goggle and check out the satellite images.
Eddie
Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
The sites are mostly for tents and campers less than 20 ft.
No probelmo!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

Virginia
Eddie. I had wondered about the fog and rain. Just got back from WVA a few days ago. Have never camped at Smoke Hole Canyon but have been there and the caverns. Sometimes I go to Seneca Rock and stay at Seneca Shadows Campground then explore Spruce Knob Wilderness and Dolly Sods. Like your Moon Rise, you can experience the Fall in all its Glory at Dolly sods and Spruce Knob, camp and then go down to Cranberry Glads, catch the peak there, camp, then come home and catch the peak here. Am heading into the NF here this weekend. HA, gotta love the Fall...a True Fall Hog. I posted my shots in the Gen Chat & "Hobbie" forum from this year. No water in the Creeks and River way low. Perhaps we will run into each other one day, I hope so.
As far as directions I take the low road, I-64, 39, 92, and 28...Happy camping to you guys!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

I'm sure our paths will cross. We are cleaning up and restocking the trailer to go to Cherokee this weekend. The leaves seem to be a little late this fall all I expect to see is green at Cheorkee. In November I will spend some time in the NF between Douthat SP and Deerfield.
Eddie
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

Virginia
Hi Eddie, wish I could go to Cherokee but sadly cannot. Have fun and say hi to all our friends! I am not too far from Douthat but do no know Deerfield. Will be camping until I can't then putting her away for winter. Maybe three more times out I hope.
I do camp in winter but not in fridged snowy weather. Have fun!