State Campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
I camped at a CG in Southern Cal last night. Mt first time. And had to pay cash. No CC or out of state checks. IS that the same all over the country or just Ca? It's sounds kinda shady to me. I know national parks take plastic and some even have self pay machines that will take plastic.

They have WiFi at all the State Parks here so they have modern conveniences. Any one know whats up with that?

I don't really Carry much cash with me so spending it for a CG caught me off guard.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
I camped at a CG in Southern Cal last night. Mt first time. And had to pay cash. No CC or out of state checks. IS that the same all over the country or just Ca? It's sounds kinda shady to me. I know national parks take plastic and some even have self pay machines that will take plastic.

They have WiFi at all the State Parks here so they have modern conveniences. Any one know whats up with that?

I don't really Carry much cash with me so spending it for a CG caught me off guard.
All of the state parks that I have used that don't have a reservation system take checks. Same for National Forest sites. The only time I have encountered a situation in which I couldn't pay via check was when a park changed over to that company that does the reservations for so many parks these days. You have to pay in full, via credit card or check card. In the old days you could reserve a space for x-amount of days by either sending in one day's deposit or charging one day's deposit. Not anymore.

This past year we stayed at a state park in GA, one in SC, and one in NC and paid via check at all of them.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
many of the state campgrounds on the east coast take credit cards, checks or cash
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
I couldn't pay via check was when a park changed over to that company that does the reservations for so many parks these days. You have to pay in full, via credit card or check
Thats the way our are here in Wash state.. if you cancel you also loose one or two nites camping fees... also non refundable fee ( $7)
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I camped at a CG in Southern Cal last night. Mt first time. And had to pay cash. No CC or [b]out of state checks. IS that the same all over the country or just Ca? It's sounds kinda shady to me.
The California STATE park system just this year converted to the Reserve America from a 1st come first served basis.
Quote:
that company that does the reservations for so many parks these days.
It's all an effort to maximize revenues, and try to minimize problems with people gaming the old system.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
We just got our confirmation for a week at Juniper Springs Recreation Area in the Ocala National Forest. Our first choice was a week-long stay at Salt Springs, which has full hookups. However, that Natioanl Forest campground has no limits on stays. You can stay for six months without moving! Thus, snowbirds from up north come down with their rigs and stay for months at a time. It's a joke! Without limits they just laugh and pay the $20 a day fee for electric, water, and sewer. This prevents casual vacationers from getting a spot.

I asked the campground manager about just driving down and hoping for a shot at one of the non-reservable sites (first come-first served), but she told me 'lotsa luck". She said that generally speaking there were people waiting in line for a shot at such openings and they were filled within seconds of the previous tenant moving out.

So, not wanting to take a chance on not getting any kind of spot at all, we reserved a space at Juniper Springs--no hookups at all, but with our new Honda generator that's not a problem.

I miss the pre-Reserve USA system. I enjoyed sending in one day's fee to reserve for four days to a week. I also don't care for one company monopolizing the system like that. In addition, they charge an extra processing fee we didn't have to pay in the past. If they weren't making anything from the Forest Services and State Park Systems, I could understand the extra fee. But I'm sure they're getting a cut of the initial fee, also.

Oh, well. There's nothing I can do about it.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #7

Bob..
glad you got your reservations in for your week of camping! I believe th state parks and the national forest here have a limit of 14 days. I get alittle fustrated at one place I do like to go ( state park) and these people who 'live' at this certain one and another one ( 2 week limit again) take one of the 'best sites' in the camp.. I really feel this is unfair to the summer campers that would like to have that spot but i guess if they pay they stay.... Actually there is probably only 3 good sites that I like at this park... so if one isnt available I dont bother to book.
Our state parks use to charge a $5 day fee.. but lost alot because people didnt want to pay for it.. I realize it cost us taxpayers to keep our parks open, but now they have to find another way of brining in revenue.. I have my thoughts they will up the camping fee's?? Have to wait and see on that .....
You use to be able to put one nites fee for a reservation for how long you wanted that spot but as I had stated its now all credit, debt cards and everything has to be paid in full before you can go camping.
I believe one of the reasons for the 'good luck' trying to get a spot on first come, first serve, is more people are taking 'family' time to go camping.. its reasonable, fun, and alot cheaper than taking all those fancy trips and staying in motels..
Old 02-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
For Oregon State Parks, you can reserve by phone or online and pay only the first night's fee plus a one-time $6 processing fee. Some of the Oregon parks are still first come, first served. I have never been willing to try one of those parks as I wasn't willing to risk not being able to get a space.

I am not sure about the Washington State Parks but I think they are the same way. One of my favorite parks in WA is in Mossyrock at Riffe Lake. I like the spaces that are way up on this hill that overlooks the main campground as that loop is like it's own little campground. Wouldn't you know it? Those are the only sites in the whole park that are first come, first served.
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #9

Washington state park reservation policys..:

http://www.camis.com/WA/policy.asp

Riffe lake is nice.. I drove thru there to check out the park.. My only complaint is I dont want to be camped next to someone that is 10 ft away... and out in the open... You guys might want to check out http://www.lcpud.org/cowlitz_falls_recreat...facilities.htm.. its a nice place too....

When I was seeking place to camp I would take sunday drives to campgrounds to check them out....