Steens Mtn Oregon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
Spent 5 days in the Steens, eastern oregon. Page Springs campground (boondock) is beautiful. We stayed next door at Steens Mountain Resort. Saw eagles, mule deer, pronghorn antelope and lots of desert. Weather was terrific.

Pictured are the Steens Summit, Wildhorse Lake, Roger at Little Blitzen Gorge, and sunrise at Page Springs.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2023__2_.JPG   IMG_1878__2_.JPG  

IMG_1886__2_.JPG   IMG_2038__2_.JPG  

Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #2

Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge, 59 miles down the dustiest gravel road I've ever traveled. But worth the effort to see antelope, petroglyphs and soak in hot springs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1922__2_.JPG   IMG_1931__2_.JPG  

IMG_1944__2_.JPG   IMG_1961__2_.JPG  

Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
This mountain range is home to a herd of mustangs that have been genetically traced back to Spain. Because of the shape of the range and the forage available, the genetic strain has stayed pure thru over 300 years with only minor out breeding. Appropriatly named the Steen Mountain Mustangs, they are auctioned like all wild horses, once a year by the BLM but these go for lotsa' bucks. I've seen them and they are worth the trip to see them at the BLM auction. Leave your check book at home, as they have got many non horse people into the fold! Any have more interest PM me.
Chuck H. horsefolk at other forums
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Steen's Mtn is on my list of 'must go there' places - your pictures have me drooling!! and definitely the location has gone up a few notches in the priority list.

I know the mustangs - have been to a couple of auctions (carefully leaving my checkbook at home) back when I had horses. Fortunately, I never had the facilities to own one (they require really high fences until they are fully trained. The auctions are a blast though - another hard to resist animal often offered - the little tiny wild burros that they round up (used to be used by miners) - they are just too cute!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Eric:

Been going there off and on for many years. Top contender for my favorite destination. Too bad it is a 6 hour drive from here. The picture is from the first time, when my son had a birthday and this trip was his present. We parked at Page Springs in the rain (this was B.B. or "Before Burro") and slept in my old van as it poured down during the night.

As you know, the approach to the top is quite gradual, nothing too exciting except for the newly fallen snow against the aspens which had turned a spectacular yellow. This was October and the road was very close to being snowed over, I think. The picture is at the Fish Lake campground near the top, which is 9700 feet up, but then the awesomeness starts when you look east from the top. He has never forgotten that trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Erik__Fish_Lake__downsized.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
i spent the time between 11 and 17 years of age on a farm near Dr. Hugh Green's headquarters.
if you google hugh glenn and peter french (frenchglenn), there is a lot of info about the area.
Lora and i spent some time in the area before casita.
was given a book about peter french by relatives and have it someplace.
we will go back someday
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Eric:

Been going there off and on for many years. Top contender for my favorite destination. Too bad it is a 6 hour drive from here. The picture is from the first time, when my son had a birthday and this trip was his present. We parked at Page Springs in the rain (this was B.B. or "Before Burro") and slept in my old van as it poured down during the night.

As you know, the approach to the top is quite gradual, nothing too exciting except for the newly fallen snow against the aspens which had turned a spectacular yellow. This was October and the road was very close to being snowed over, I think. The picture is at the Fish Lake campground near the top, which is 9700 feet up, but then the awesomeness starts when you look east from the top. He has never forgotten that trip.
Hi Per,

We were at fish lake twice during the week. The first time we escaped the heat down at page springs and our "boys" frolicked in the water as we hiked around the lake. The second day we went, the thunder began as we arrived. On arrival, the temp was 67, and when we left 1 hr later it was 49! Needless to say, we sat in the car the whole time. We hung out at the exact spot where your photo was taken. It would be a nice place to camp, but the wind can be fierce.
Your photo with the dusting of snow is terrific!
Eric