Suggestions for Oregon and N. California along I-5. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Suggestions for Oregon and N. California along I-5.

Hi all,

My wife, baby, dog (golden retriever) and I are going to a wedding in the Bay Area (Fremont) in a few weeks and will be camping in our 13' Trillium both ways. On the way down, we have already decided to stay near Mt. St. Helens in WA on the 1st night and Crater Lake in OR on the 3rd night.

I'm looking for suggestions for places to stay on the 2nd night between Mt. St. Helens/Crater Lake and the 4th night between Crater Lake and the Fremont. We'd like to find something at least half-way to our next day's stop but are also interested in going further should our little one decide it's a good day for driving. We were able to cover 600 km's a day last Aug. but the little guy slept a lot more back then.

I'd love to hear if you have any favourites to suggest. Thx,

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Part of this depends on how you're planning on heading south from Mt.St. Helens. My suggestion is I-5 to I-205 to I-84. The trip through the Gorge is great. At Hood Rive take State 35 to 26 then 26 to Bend south on 97. From there it's a pretty short drive to Crater Lake. Along this route you have lots of options.
Along the Columbia River Gorge, Viento State Park, Memalouse State Park, Wyeth National Forest campground. Highway 35 Sherwood National Forest Campground(NFS), Nottingham NFS campground, Robin Hood NFS campground. On 26 is Trillium Lake NFS campground (this fills up on the week-ends). Highway 97, Newberry Crater (4 campgrounds), LaPine State Park, Collier State Park (this one is probably a bit of stretch.
After Crater Lake NP, you might want to consider Mt Lassen NP.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
If I can add to the question - which campground around Crater Lake is the best option? We'll be there in July.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face There's not much of anything to choose from

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for places to stay ... the 4th night between Crater Lake and the Fremont. We'd like to find something at least half-way to our next day's stop...

I'd love to hear if you have any favourites to suggest.
Robert and I drive up I-5 every year to go to the Oregon Gathering.
Half-way between Crater Lake, Oregon and Fremont, California is the Junction of Interstate 5 and Interstate 505, which is smack-dab in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Nothing but wheat fields to the horizon, as far as the eye can see in any direction.

The closest anything will be The Camper's Inn RV and Golf Resort near Dunnigan, California. We haven't stopped there.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I generally like to drive no farther than 450 miles (about 725 kilometers) in a day. Since California's Central Valley along I-5 is pretty desolate, we repeatedly stay at Dos Reis Regional Parks | San Joaquin County Parks & Recreation which is darn near half-way between San Diego, CA and Bandon, OR. This will be too close to Fremont, and out of your way to be useful to you.

Another favorite is Rail Road Park Resort in Dunsmuir, California. This will be too close to Crater Lake to be useful to you also...
Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #6

Registry
You might look at this one Waterloo County Park
This would put you about halfway between Mt St. Helens and Crater Lake.
We've had a few fiberglass trailer gatherings at this park.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
If I can add to the question - which campground around Crater Lake is the best option? We'll be there in July.
Mazama is full when we're there so we're staying at the next closest place: Diamond Lake RV Park (Welcome).

Chris P.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
For your trailer there is only one campground inside the park, Mazama. If you know the date you plan on being there it is recommend that you get reservations. I have been there in July and managed to get a site. But I wouldn't count on it.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Chris you havent said what your return plan is I am assuming you are still looking at that. My two most fav parks in Oregon are Champoeg State park - between Portland and Salem and not far off the I5. The other one is on the coast - Nehalem Bay State park.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Chris you havent said what your return plan is I am assuming you are still looking at that. My two most fav parks in Oregon are Champoeg State park - between Portland and Salem and not far off the I5. The other one is on the coast - Nehalem Bay State park.
We're going to come back via the coast at least until we're back to Washington. My wife has never done that drive before and I've only done part of the N. California coast. I'll have a look into Nehalem Bay SP. Thx!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
We're going to come back via the coast at least until we're back to Washington. My wife has never done that drive before and I've only done part of the N. California coast. I'll have a look into Nehalem Bay SP. Thx!
You might check Barview Jetty Campground on the north side of Tillamook Bay. http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds.htm
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you want to stay overnight some place fun and usual, just outside of Roseburg off I-5: Hi-Way Haven RV Park Home I've thought about just going down for a couple of days myself!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You might check Barview Jetty Campground on the north side of Tillamook Bay. http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/parks/Campgrounds.htm
Big Thumbs up to that one !
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you want to stay overnight some place fun and usual, just outside of Roseburg off I-5: Hi-Way Haven RV Park Home I've thought about just going down for a couple of days myself!
Ok, that place could be the biggest pit toilet in the world and I would still say that is cool! Turning and old drive in movie theater into a campground? Rock on!
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerK View Post
Ok, that place could be the biggest pit toilet in the world and I would still say that is cool! Turning and old drive in movie theater into a campground? Rock on!
Each to their own, but I not about to pay $30 to $35 per night any place.
Last winter we were out for almost 100 nights averaged $7.50 per night with $18.00 the highest. We met several full timers that wouldn't pay over $20.00 per night.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't worry, I'll stay off of your lawn and keep the rock and roll music down.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think life is about experiences and each of us desire different things. Not that one is better than the other, just different. It's doubtful I'd make a habit of staying at a campground like Hi-Way Haven, but I certainly would one time. How cool, sit in your lawnchair, eat popcorn and watch a drive-in movie! I grew up with drive-in movies and haven't been in about 35 years. Roll back the time.....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I think life is about experiences and each of us desire different things. Not that one is better than the other, just different. It's doubtful I'd make a habit of staying at a campground like Hi-Way Haven, but I certainly would one time. How cool, sit in your lawnchair, eat popcorn and watch a drive-in movie! I grew up with drive-in movies and haven't been in about 35 years. Roll back the time.....
I totally agree with your first tow sentences. I've never been drawn to resorts of any kind, but that's me. My first preference is to be out in the wild woods with nobody else around. Where I can sit in my lawn chair and watch the deer, coyotes, the birds, a bat or two at dusk. Listen to the water as rushes towards the sea, the frogs croaking, ducks and geese quacking and honking, a Douglas Squirrel scolding. Those thing are far more interesting to me than somebody fantasy shown on big screen. I don't go to movies and I don't watch fiction on television. There's maybe 2 or 3 fiction movies a year that I'll get on DVD maybe double that for non-fiction. Activities such as swimming nothing beats a nice mountain lake for swimming or fishing.
However, I'm glad there are those the prefer the resorts rather than over populate my hide aways, as the resort goers would not like it if every body went to the resorts so it was difficult to get in the prices doubled.
No matter what you choose, there are lots of options out there, enjoy.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Half-way between Crater Lake, Oregon and Fremont, California is the Junction of Interstate 5 and Interstate 505, which is smack-dab in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Nothing but wheat fields to the horizon, as far as the eye can see in any direction.

The closest anything will be The Camper's Inn RV and Golf Resort near Dunnigan, California. We haven't stopped there.
We ended up finding Heritage RV Park in Corning which was ~80 miles north of Dunnigan. A great place for a stop-over if you need one.

Quote:
We tried that park out on your suggestion Donna and it was a great place for a stop-over. Nice and clean, dog-friendly, free wi-fi and a free movie too!

Full trip report is here.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #20

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Link goes to "new reply"!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote