Texas to Tofino (+ Oregon 2006) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2006, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We are so excited to be going to the Oregon Gathering 2006.

Just in case others are moving from South to North i thought i would list our travel plans:

Leaving Seguin, TX this Friday March 3rd.
Northwest to Del Rio TX, two maybe three days
On to Big Bend National Park a week or so max
Then to Arizona - Bisbee and ???? (late Marchl)
Back Northeast to Sante Fe April?)
West to Grand Canyon (May)
West to Las Vegas (daughter lives and works there) (May)
West to California (not sure, if it will be southwest towards LA or west or northwest
Highway One through Montery. Anybody know some good Campgrounds in California (cheap)

On to the Oregon Gathering. July 11, 2006
Then on with the Casita Invasion of Vancouver Island and Tofino.

Wow

We will give more specific details as we get them.

Pecan Park Rv
San Marcos TX
nice! indoor simming pool. in old Pecan Grove, lots of trees. Nice people
$250 month plus electric
On San Marcos River which runs well all year and has a temp year round of about 72 degrees. Nice for kayaks and canoes.

Joe and Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
2casitas.jpg  
Joseph and Melanie Castine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #2

Hi again,

we are leaving for Big Bend on Sunday. Planning to go via Del Rio, TX Anybody know of a decent campground in that area. Does not seem to be much out there.

Casita waxed, water system cleaned, fixing rivets on awning bracket, packing in all in and gettying ready to leave Texas.

Hope to see some of you on the way to Oregon.

Joe and Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
kayak_at_sunset_Large_e_mail_view.jpg  
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
What an amazing photo! Enjoy your journey and I'll look forward to meeting you at Bullards!

Sharon
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hi again,

we are leaving for Big Bend on Sunday. Planning to go via Del Rio, TX Anybody know of a decent campground in that area. Does not seem to be much out there.

Casita waxed, water system cleaned, fixing rivets on awning bracket, packing in all in and gettying ready to leave Texas.

Hope to see some of you on the way to Oregon.

Joe and Melanie
Check out Lake Amistad. U.S. National Park Service has four campgrounds. I don't have any recent experience with it, but Frommers has a nice description of the area...
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
When you get to the Island, on your way to Tofino (and Ucluelet), check out Little Qualicum Falls Campground and Sproat Lake Provincial Park.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #6

Hi there,

update:

we left San Marcos and made it to Del Rio where we discovered my wallet was missing

drove 70 miles back to Uvalde (last stop) Thought wallet was at Supermarket. Nope
Stayed in Walmart Parking lot since it was 10 PM. Decided not to stop in Del Rio, but thank you MaryF for the campground tips.

Drove to Alpine, discovered wallet under passenger seat (how did it get there?? and we had cancelled credit cards).

Planned to go to Big Bend yesterday but got news of Melanie's grandfather's death. Drove her to Midland (180 mi one way). She's in Toronto area for funeral.

I'm here at Lost Alaska RV Park, Alpine, TX. Nice park with some trees. Rec room, laundry, etc. Full hook-ups around 25./day (with Good Sam or Escapee or ... discount) good water. Got weekly rate, don't remember what it was. can't find receipt.

We are in the wind. 40-50 mph since last night. Casita is rocking!!!!! Cat cage got blown around!

More after we get to Big Bend.

Joseph
Attached Thumbnails
rearviewofcasitainside_Large_e_mail_view.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #7

Hi there,

six days in Chisos basin, Big Bend National Park. We planned on three, extended twice. Go there if you can.
There were four Casitas there at first and each time one left another arrived. As we left we saw a Scamp coming in.

We hiked different trails, we hiked up the Santa Elena Canyon and we paddled up the Rio Grande into the Santa Elena Canyon (although we had to walk and pull the kayak part of the way up.)

One couple with a new Casita claimed they could not get more than one night without using their car to recharge the battery. That scared us so we used our lantern and not the lights and little heat (it was 27 one night). The fantastic fan ran somedays (keep it cool for cats). We did hook up the car to charge for about 40 minutes on day four. Took quick sponge baths, Melanie did wash her long hair, did all dishes in sink provided for them near bathrooms in campground.

Casita and van handled well on winding roads. No complaints.

We are at KOA in Van Horn, TX. Two nights with full hookups. Tomorrow on to El Paso and a visit to Juarez.

Joseph and Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
joe_mel_kayak_santa_elena_canyon.jpg  
Old 03-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We are so excited to be going to the [b]Oregon Gathering 2006.

Just in case others are moving from South to North i thought i would list our travel plans:

Then to Arizona - [b]Bisbee and ???? (late Marchl)

West to [b]California (not sure, if it will be southwest towards LA or west or northwest
[b]Highway One through [b]Montery. Anybody know some good Campgrounds in California (cheap)
I will be in Bisbee, Arizona, at The Shady Dell, the 4th weekend in April.

I highly recommend that you stop into a AAA office and pick up their Recreation Series "Camping" Map. California has 2 maps, one for Southern & Central, and one for Northern.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
We hiked different trails, we hiked up the Santa Elena Canyon and we paddled up the Rio Grande into the Santa Elena Canyon (although we had to walk and pull the kayak part of the way up.)
Ha! You made it to Mexico! (Looks like you're on the south side of the river.) Thanks for the update(s). It's fun to see/hear of your progress!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
One couple with a new Casita claimed they could not get more than one night without using their car to recharge the battery. That scared us so we used our lantern and not the lights and little heat (it was 27 one night). The fantastic fan ran somedays (keep it cool for cats). We did hook up the car to charge for about 40 minutes on day four. Took quick sponge baths, Melanie did wash her long hair, did all dishes in sink provided for them near bathrooms in campground.
Boy, they sure must use a lot of electricity in one night, unless something is wrong with their battery. Love your picture.

Have a great trip

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi Joe and Melanie,

So where are you two (four) now? It's been so fun to keep up with your trek across country on your way to the Gathering! The pictures are great. Keep 'em coming.

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
What a great trip! What bad luck!

Someone recently suggested spliting credit cards up so that one person carries the Master Card while the other carries the Visa so that ALL the cards don't have to be cancelled!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #13

Hi there,

we are still going. Left Big Bend and went to Bisbee, (sorry I did not check messages or I would have tried Shady Dell). On to Albuguerque (one week), Santa Fe (dry camping 4 days), Grand Canyon (dry camping four days), Las Vegas (four days), Death Valley (one night), Sequoia National Park (three days, dry), Yosemite (Escapeee Park Sierra), and not Cerro Alto in National Forest near Atascadero California. Will update with pictures later.

Joe and Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
bridalveil_falls.jpg   Casita_with_Humphreys_Peak.jpg  

Old 05-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #14

Hi there,

check this out!!!! They wrote about us in our Casita!!!

http://rv.org/p17756.pdf

Joe and Melanie

Old 05-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
How cool! You are celebs of the lightweight rv world! Funny how they add the disclaimer at the end, "They wouldn't recommend fulltiming in a lightweight RV." Your set up seems just perfect. Love the cat condo and how you have accomodated your furry children.

Thanks for sharing your adventure and pictures! I have 15 years to try and convince my husband to go full-time in our egg. We may have to follow the path you have set...beautiful, beautiful scenery.

Best,
Donna
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #16

Trailer: Bonair
you said you are going up to Tofino?

Just got back from there! It's awesome.

Be prepared for the most twistiest uping downiest narrowist road you've ever seen

Plan a stop at Cathedral forest (on the way by)...

We stayed at Crystal Cove in Tofino. It's expensive camping ($44 a night Can during low season! - made me groan) - but nicer than some of the other spots up that way. Firewood & showers were included so that was good. (have to buy firewood in most B.C. and AB campspots anyway!) Campsites are within walking distance to the ocean. There is another spot up the road with rv spots right on the ocean - but tight quarters and lots of people even when we were there in early May.
Bernice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #17

I'll close this topic with this last message.

We could not go to The Oregon Gathering and were headed back towards the East when my daughter Zara, called and said she was going in for major surgery.
We rushed East to Toronto area where my wife (not Zara's mom).

On July 6th I was here in Las Vegas with Zara, surgery and then complications and second surgery. I'm still here and Melanie is still in Canada.

Funny huh, 12 months on the road 24/7 together and living in a Casita and now we have been apart for over two weeks( twice as long as the longest separation in 9 years). One extreme to the other.

Anyway our plans:

return to Northeast, move into apartment in winter and work a year or so. Maybe hit the road again in 2007.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
<<<<<I'll close this topic with this last message.>>>>

It had better not be the last message, we want to hear more from you.
How is Zara, now ? Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #19

Zara is doing OK. NO, I will continue to post, after all, we have gathered a bit of experience after a year in our Casita, Kat and we will share it with all the wonderful people who have helped us over the year.