The Puck and LoverBoy get Shakedown Trip! Please help me plan a romantic trip? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
The Puck gets Shakedown Trip! Seeking a cool place in Arizona!

As a proud owner of the Fab Faberge Lovebug: [/url]

I am accustomed to the fine life of Dutch Oven cooking and camping off the grid whilst painting, sailing, reading and enjoying the bliss of life away from others.

However, I am in Arizona and purchased this Eriba Puck and it's time to get her out!

I am on a Mission to get a portable AC unit and generator so my friend won't flip out in this 120 degree heat we have right now. It's just brutal!

Now, can anyone help me plan a 4-6 day trip from Phoenix to a place with a bit cooler temperatures with some nice scenery? I'd be so appreciative! I don't care if it's New Mexico, Mexico, Arizona, Utah, I just want to plan a nice trip for BF so he wants to do it again!

The food will be grilled steaks, some Dutch Oven cooking which I love to prepare for dining after dark, deserts in the Dutch Oven, cold salads, some good snacks - yes, he loves good food, I am certainly working on this- French press coffee in the am with some pastries I'll bring along and maybe smores since he's a newbie! Nice romantic dinners with candlelight and music...A campfire, I think I'll even pick up some pie irons as my Lovebug is in Minnesota and I think he'd enjoy these.

A movie at night to unwind, some good music, a couple of quite fans, AC if needed, the generator if necessary if we aren't near electricity, some good cooling drinks...

So, now all I need are some places to camp. During the week is fine, too!

Thanks to all who help me plan the romantic shakedown trip!

Cheers!
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
From where you are at, Hands Down, the north rim of the Grand Canyon is the most romantic (and much cooler) place to go. It should have enough altitude to be cool, the crowds there are nil and, if the campground at the North Rim proper is full, there is a real nice National Forest Service facility, Jacob Lake Campground, at the junction of 89 & 67 (the road to the north rim). We stayed there in June.

Then take the several hikes from the visitors center and all of the road trips out to the canyon overlooks. There's even an incredible place for (dare I say it) the W word?

For stunning views, the north rim beats the south rim hands down, it's an entirely different world and there are very, very few tourists. Be sure to sit in the grand room of the lodge and dine at the dining room there. Almost forgot, there is a free ice machine for your drinking water at the visitors center, the first one I have ever seen at a NP.

I really doubt if you will need the a/c at all and the scenery, and sitting on the very edge of the Grand Canyon at sunset, sure beats "The Notebook" for setting the mood.

And, if you don't want to drive that far (it's 100% worth it) Try Oak Creek Canyon outside of Sedona. We also stayed there in June, at the Pine Flat Campground. It will be cooler, but not as cool as the North Rim. And you can try Slide Rocks at the state park, totally crazy.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

Thank you, Bob! This is perfect!

I've been to Sedona many times, it's always a place my guests want to see. I've been to the Grand Canyon 3 times, but always on the southern side and have wanted to see the northern side you speak of. Thanks for the great advice. I appreciate it!
Old 08-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

I hope that the North Rim attracts you. Todays high was 84 and much, much cooler at night. Google: temp north rim grand canyon

On the way don't overlook Tuzigoot National Monument (a bit off the road) and Montezuma Castle National Monument and Montezuma's Well, both close to the Interstate on the way to Flagstaff.

As an artist you will be blown away by the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument but save a lot for the North Rim. You won't think that it's even the same place you see from the south rim

Old 08-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think you might like a trip to Zion and Bryce canyon national park. With St George near by you don't have to be too far out there.

If you just want cooler, quick mountain atmosphere it would be Flagstaff. But that's about as deep into AZ that I have been into from California.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Georgia
Idaho

If you have time, try Idaho. Boise is excellent for town stuff. And the rest of Idaho is mostly nothing but wide open spaces. Gets hot (100ish) but cools down at night.
dkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #7

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
As much as I love So. Utah, I concur completely on the North Rim. The view from the lodge is beyond breathtaking, but do be sure to make a dinner reservation ASAP. It's been a few years since I was there, but I don't think they seat too many people at a time. (Which is another good thing!).

With your preparations I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time whoever you go!

-- Anne

Ps. Generators are mood killers, so if you use, do so judiciously!
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I hope that the North Rim attracts you. Todays high was 84 and much, much cooler at night. Google: temp north rim grand canyon

On the way don't overlook Tuzigoot National Monument (a bit off the road) and Montezuma Castle National Monument and Montezuma's Well, both close to the Interstate on the way to Flagstaff.

As an artist you will be blown away by the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument but save a lot for the North Rim. You won't think that it's even the same place you see from the south rim

This is perfect, Bob, and it is the place we intend to be on Day 2.
I have taken guests to Montezuma Castle and Well and think it's pretty amazing to see the high homes carved out of the limestone cliffs. I didn't paint onsite but may take an hour or two to set up the easel to do a couple of small studies. LB hasn't seen this, however, and I think he'd like it.
The Vermillion Cliffs is next on the list to look up. I've been to the Southern rim and have to say, I think it's gorgeous. It's amazing that there could be a better view! I am getting excited!
Thank you!!!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I think you might like a trip to Zion and Bryce canyon national park. With St George near by you don't have to be too far out there.

If you just want cooler, quick mountain atmosphere it would be Flagstaff. But that's about as deep into AZ that I have been into from California.
Hi, Steve!
I would like to get a trip into Zion and Bryce National Park! An artist friend of mine goes there often and her paintings are beautiful. I will have to look up St. George.
Flagstaff is mentioned often by my neighbors here as a place to go to for relief of this incredible heat. Plus, Flagstaff has some attractions I'd like to see as well.
Thanks for the tip!

BTW, if you come to the Phoenix area, one place not to miss is The Apache Trail. It is gorgeous! It's one of my favorite places in the US.

I'll be asking about California soon if LB likes the trip!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkas View Post
If you have time, try Idaho. Boise is excellent for town stuff. And the rest of Idaho is mostly nothing but wide open spaces. Gets hot (100ish) but cools down at night.
I love Idaho! One of my best friends live in Boise and I went there for the first time two years ago. It's beautiful and I actually like some of the wide open spaces of it beyond the mountains. It's a wonderful destination.

Yes, I need to put Idaho on my list, to see my dear friend and get them camping would be great!

Thanks for chiming in! Any other places out in this part of the states?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #11

I can't wait! Northern Rim - Here we come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
As much as I love So. Utah, I concur completely on the North Rim. The view from the lodge is beyond breathtaking, but do be sure to make a dinner reservation ASAP. It's been a few years since I was there, but I don't think they seat too many people at a time. (Which is another good thing!).

With your preparations I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time whoever you go!

-- Anne

Ps. Generators are mood killers, so if you use, do so judiciously!
Hi, Anne! Nice to hear from you! I'd love to hear about your favorite places in So. Utah for future trips. Northern Rim is it! It does sound very romantic and with the stress LB is under, it would be perfect for him to see this. It's decided!
I loathe generators having been sandwiched in between a couple of monster campers where the generators ran all night, it was awful and I vowed never to get one. Now, with 120 degree heat, one has to have one. I see the honda generators have really come down in price and I think that's the way to go. The only time I would use a generator would be if we were off the grid and not near electricity.

I will call the restaurant and see if we can get in. He is a foodie and would enjoy this very much. Thanks for this tip.

This will be such fun to get started camping together! We have a sailboat and the cabin is small, we cook on a grill that hangs on the edge of the boat. We go to the fish market and pick up what we want, walk to our sailboat and take off. This is different yet similar enough that I think he will like it. Getting it comfortable for him is key for success. And, of course, my Dutch Oven cooking which I love to do will be fun for him as he loves to cook as well.

Thanks, Anne! You inspired me to update my music and get some candles into the Puck!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #12

Take any of these, our May-June vacation route that actually started and ended in Riverside, CA
Chelan, WA >>>Spokane (Antiques Roadshow Taping)>>> Hells Canyon National Rec Area>>> Boise >>> Craters of the Moon National Monument >>>Yellowstone NP >>> Grand Teton NP >>>Fossil Butte National Monument>>> Arches NP >>> Canyonlands National Park>>>Bryce Canyon N.P. >>>Zion N.P. >>> Grand Canyon NP, North Rim >>>Vermillion Cliffs >>> Oak Creek Canyon, AZ

Other than those, not much... LOL

Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #13

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Anne, regarding your real *need* for air conditioning, you might look at the "Cool Camper" thread -- I'm thinking about getting one of these to use outside the trailer under the awning when it's hot (and it always is). Plus, if you need to set up your easel, one of these little guys could really help.

I also have the "personal" misters, which can save your life when you have to stop at gas stations, etc. and turn off the motor, or walk around in the heat. I also used one on our motorcycle as we were coming home (wearing black kevlar suits WITH ventilation) in the heat (4-hour trip home). I sprayed my neck, inside my gloves, inside my boots, down my shirt, and down hubby's back, shirt, inside his helmet. Some of our friends were kind of laughing at the concept as we were getting ready to leave, as was the DH. Until he felt it once or twice, then he asked for spritzes all the way home. Saved our lives, I think.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Anne, regarding your real *need* for air conditioning, you might look at the "Cool Camper" thread -- I'm thinking about getting one of these to use outside the trailer under the awning when it's hot (and it always is). Plus, if you need to set up your easel, one of these little guys could really help.

I also have the "personal" misters, which can save your life when you have to stop at gas stations, etc. and turn off the motor, or walk around in the heat. I also used one on our motorcycle as we were coming home (wearing black kevlar suits WITH ventilation) in the heat (4-hour trip home). I sprayed my neck, inside my gloves, inside my boots, down my shirt, and down hubby's back, shirt, inside his helmet. Some of our friends were kind of laughing at the concept as we were getting ready to leave, as was the DH. Until he felt it once or twice, then he asked for spritzes all the way home. Saved our lives, I think.
Thanks for this input, Ellpea! This may be perfect, especially when out painting!
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #15

Trip delayed - Saturday-Yikes Labor Day! Phoenix to Grand Canyon, then...

Due to family circumstances, we were unable to get away until now and we will be camping/sailing over the next couple of weeks.

DF-Darling Fiance- hasn't been out on a more recently acquired 15' sailboat, one I purchased that is more mobile than the larger MacGregor. We could take this to the beautiful Apache Trail and spend a couple of days on the boat painting, reading, grilling. It would give up some privacy and keep us off the busy roads. It has sleeping quarters, a galley and enough room for a weekend-not too different than our small campers. The water should help with this heat as the lake is deep and the mountains surrounding it are high and offers shade.

BTW-so this is relevant to FBRV, there are campsites in this area. It's a fantastic trip. I try to get out to the Apache Trail as often as possible. If you drive the entire trail, it takes an entire day, with much of it on gravel. You can see a lot just by leaving Phoenix and going to Tortilla Flats and ending the trip with an hamburger and ice cream. The restaurant is fun, with hundreds of thousands of 1 dollar bills signed by people from all over the world stapled everywhere. It's fun.

So, perhaps plan 1# is sail for 2-3 days, then hit the road after Labor Day to
The Grand Canyon and perhaps go into Utah. I wouldn't mind a raft trip on the Colorado while at the GC, the photo opps would be grand, I'd guess.

Plan 2# Would be to hit the road Saturday, find a spot that night and continue on to the Rim Sunday, and hope that some people vacate that day.
In previous experiences, I have found places available because people assume everything is full and people stay home.

Does anyone have specific campgrounds at the North Rim with phone numbers they could offer? I've been looking for some with not such great results. Many offer "No reservations - First come, first serve".

The trip is still on, just delayed and the Eriba Puck hits the road!

The Puck is like this one-

http://www.clipular.com/c/5218089267...Zeu5awuOAieDt4

Some photos I found on a google search of Apache Trail. I'll post some of mine later along with paintings I've done out there.

http://www.clipular.com/c/5480877915...UGJu-kyY23LihI

http://www.clipular.com/c/5762561164...rEmijqJasT0SOU

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I can hardly wait!
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
Thanks for this input, Ellpea! This may be perfect, especially when out painting!
I'm so glad! Please let me know if you try these, and how it goes.