The Puck and LoverBoy get Shakedown Trip! Please help me plan a romantic trip? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports

Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Trip delayed - Saturday-Yikes Labor Day! Phoenix to Grand Canyon, then...

Due to family circumstances, we were unable to get away until now and we will be camping/sailing over the next couple of weeks.

DF-Darling Fiance- hasn't been out on a more recently acquired 15' sailboat, one I purchased that is more mobile than the larger MacGregor. We could take this to the beautiful Apache Trail and spend a couple of days on the boat painting, reading, grilling. It would give up some privacy and keep us off the busy roads. It has sleeping quarters, a galley and enough room for a weekend-not too different than our small campers. The water should help with this heat as the lake is deep and the mountains surrounding it are high and offers shade.

BTW-so this is relevant to FBRV, there are campsites in this area. It's a fantastic trip. I try to get out to the Apache Trail as often as possible. If you drive the entire trail, it takes an entire day, with much of it on gravel. You can see a lot just by leaving Phoenix and going to Tortilla Flats and ending the trip with an hamburger and ice cream. The restaurant is fun, with hundreds of thousands of 1 dollar bills signed by people from all over the world stapled everywhere. It's fun.

So, perhaps plan 1# is sail for 2-3 days, then hit the road after Labor Day to
The Grand Canyon and perhaps go into Utah. I wouldn't mind a raft trip on the Colorado while at the GC, the photo opps would be grand, I'd guess.

Plan 2# Would be to hit the road Saturday, find a spot that night and continue on to the Rim Sunday, and hope that some people vacate that day.
In previous experiences, I have found places available because people assume everything is full and people stay home.

Does anyone have specific campgrounds at the North Rim with phone numbers they could offer? I've been looking for some with not such great results. Many offer "No reservations - First come, first serve".

The trip is still on, just delayed and the Eriba Puck hits the road!

The Puck is like this one-

Some photos I found on a google search of Apache Trail. I'll post some of mine later along with paintings I've done out there.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I can hardly wait!

Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #16
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
Originally Posted by Gigi View Post
Thanks for this input, Ellpea! This may be perfect, especially when out painting!
I'm so glad! Please let me know if you try these, and how it goes.

Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote