Three women killed by alligators in Florida. - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Strangely, considering that until this month there had only been 17 confirmed cases of fatal alligator attacks on humans in Florida history, there have been three just this month.

The really disturbing thing about one of them is that it was at Sweetwater Springs, which is along the Juniper Springs Run, which my wife and son and I canoed a few weeks ago. Everyone kept talking about the "sixteen-foot" alligator near the end of the run and we were hoping to see it. But it wasn't there when we canoed downriver. One ranger told us it was one of the biggest alligators he had ever seen. The place where it was supposed to sun was very close to Sweetwater Springs, where one of these women was attacked and killed.

All three fatal attacks were on women. I suppose many alligators are beginning to lose their fear of humans and sometimes associate us with food. Very sad.

Old 05-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Yes, one was just on news here. She's from here - Louisville, Ky. Didn't catch all the story but as I understand it, she was scuba diving. That sounded really weird to me -- diving in alligator area.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Yes, one was just on news here. She's from here - Louisville, Ky. Didn't catch all the story but as I understand it, she was scuba diving. That sounded really weird to me -- diving in alligator area.
When I was a kid living on the coast of Georgia, I used to dive for golf balls with the gators. I rarely gave it a second thought. The only time it concerned us was when we would go to the larger lakes on the golf course where the big gators lived. We did have one check us out on one occasion (a nine-footer), so we never hit that particular lake again.

Yes, it was a stupid thing to do. But in those days one never heard of alligator attacks. They were still very endangered back then ('70s).

Plus, I made a rather tidy sum re-selling the golf balls to the clubhouses.