Timing is everything! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Timing is everything!

The old adage “timing is everything”. Update from Jekyll Island Campground at the beginning of the Ice Storm.

It was raining and freezing but the water was running off our awning really well. I had it at a fairly decent slope.

In any case, I commented to Carolyn that I was going to step out and crank in our awning as the rain had let up a bit and it was supposed to get much colder and I did not want any ice buildup. While putting on my shoes there was a huge crash! A large limb fell and removed the awning from our Scamp. So there was no need to crank it in. Although it saved me a bit of twiddling the crank... I’m not a Happy Camper!

Must have been fairly loud outside of our rig as well as within minutes two of the camp support folks arrived and pulled this big thing away from our door so I could even get out. This was followed by 2 near misses from other large limbs. A few minutes later our neighbor in a 17 Casita took a direct hit that cracked the AC cover.

One of our near misses may have taken out the electrical line just behind us as the support pole is now seriously leaning.

Not sure yet it the roof is intact or any leaks. Big scrape on the hull by the kitchen window. We decided to disconnect and pull out to avoid any further damage from all the falling trees and limbs. Tonight predicted to get even much colder. So we are parked at a local hotel and I left the propane heat on low as the rig is not winterized for hard freeze.I assume we will return Friday assuming power is back on and our site is not under more downed trees. I had to break out some tools to take part of the remaining destroyed awning support before we could tow out. Oh Joy, the hitch ball etc. was all stowed under layers of stuff in the trailer support box in the back of our vehicle. Another Scamping adventure

Not sure yet if the roof is intact or any leaks. There is a big scrape on the hull (gelcoat) between the kitchen and rear window. We decided to disconnect and pull out to avoid any further damage from all the falling trees and limbs. Small is beautiful, but if you take a hit it may put you out of business. A few 5th wheel rigs were also hit but they have more internal wiggle room. Tonight is predicted to get even colder. So we are now parked at a local hotel and I left the propane heat on low as the rig is not winterized for a hard freeze. OK, we are actually in a real room as well.

The plan is to return to the north end of the island and CG again Friday assuming power is back on and our site is not under more downed trees. I had to break out some tools to take part of the remaining destroyed awning support before we could tow out. Oh Joy, the hitch ball etc. were all stowed under layers of stuff in the trailer support box in the back of our vehicle. As far as it goes this is just another Scamping adventure.

This will be time to explore our AAA insurance for replacement of awning and any other necessary repairs. My luck this will be like windshields in cars a, always just below the deducible so it is always out of pocket.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow, that's scary! How easily one of those branches might have punched a hole right through the shell! Or through you if you had been under that awning when it fell.

I hate ice storms! They're the worst, both for driving and property damage. They were pretty common in Maryland growing up, but thankfully rare in my adopted Arizona home.

Best wishes getting through this latest adventure. For now, enjoy a long, hot shower in your temporary residence.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Yikes!

Glad you got out of there with no bodily injuries Bat Dude! You can always repair the trailer. Good call on moving out of the CG, also leaving MI for the Winter. Hope your luck improves for the rest of your trip.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Wow, Bat Dude, I am sure glad YOU TWO are OK.

Now you can buy a screen tent, like the Clam, for much less than the awning. Just thinking of the silver lining...
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Ice is just plain bad. Back in the 80s when I lived in Arkansas we had a particularly bad ice storm that put down almost 2 inches of clear ice. A tree branch punched a hole in my roof and damaged my truck. Roads were completely impassable for several days. If you didn't have what you needed, you couldn't get to the store except on foot.

I guess if it only took out your awning, it coulda been worse.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Oh wow! So glad you weren't under the awning when that branch came down. Sounds like it could have been so much worse. Fingers crossed that you are able to get your new awning and repairs covered and not have to pay out of pocket.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sorry that happened to you Bruce. Apparently we made the right decision to go to Florida instead of Jekyll. Today we decided to cancel out all future reservations in that campground as we have twice had damage from falling branches there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #8

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
scarey thing

bat-dude that was a scary thing could have been much worse I suppose.

Good luck on your insurance claim!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 AM   #9

Michigan
Cracked Egg!!

Now the sun is out and no rain/ice falling I was able to take a quick peek at the roof.

Eeeeeeeeeee
Houston we have a problem...

We have a cracked egg.

There is +/- 11" crack running from the top of the rear window frame to the upper curve of the roof. The Fanasticfan is "running" but screaming like a banshee so the bearings are tweaked or something bad going on even though the lid was not cracked. Maybe torsion on the roof now?.

Waiting for a borrowed ladder to get up and inspect more closley then send photos to Scamp who were very helpful when I called this AM.

We are back at JI CG but at another site with no trees overhead. Caroilyn noted early this AM when we drove the toe site w/o our Scamp in tow that anothjer very much large limb was caracked about 50% through and up about 40' that will eventually come down right int eh middel of G16.

So not an option to repark there!

More reports after a careful inspection.

Bat Dude
Old 01-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Adding our commiseration to the rest! Must've been a shock!

Hate ice storms!

Better luck in the future!

BEST
Kai
Old 01-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #11

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
dead trees

I lost 13 nice oak trees this year don't know why. had a guy come and whack them down for the firewood. I do have several close to the house also!

its too cold to check my 50 acres but I am sure I am going to have lots more dead ones.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #12

Michigan
Another smaller (3") crack discovered just above the middle of the rear window. The window also no longer opens and appears to have the frame distorted.

We have an appraiser coming later today. Being on the coast there should be boat places that could carry out FG repairs. However, seems clear that the rat fur will need to be removed and likely a multi-day hotel stay while it is fixed. To say nothing of the noxious off-gassing of the curing resin for weeks after.

Scamp did indicate if we "brought in" they would be happy to jump on it ASAP.

Wife indicated the mere thought of driving north through the winter to Bakus Minn. now would be far worse than a potential leaky Scamp

At least all 3 of us escaped w/o injury.

Any used 19' Escapes in Florida for sale LOL.

This set me back on my analysis of new Cuban bat data!
With luck, I will be able to return to some semblance of normal operations on Friday.

Cheers all,

Bat Dude
Old 01-04-2018, 04:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We both are feeling real bad for you two Bruce. If it was us we would be heading home. Maybe if you put some of that Flex Seal tape over the cracks, continue your trip as planned, and after returning home in the spring take it back to Scamp and let them fix it. We messaged Ronnie at the campground to cancel all reservations and he refunded our deposits. Best of luck with the rest of your trip and repairs.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Eternabond tape might also work as a temporary fix, although it is hard to temove afterward. I predict an insurance payout in the thousands.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #15

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I am wondering if your insurance company will deny the claim as "wind or hail" damage as they do on home insurance policies? Let us know...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Indeed, timing is everything. If you had been faster by two minutes, that limb might have taken you out, insted od the awning!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:42 AM   #17

Michigan
Cracked Egg damage control update

We had a great response from Scamp yesterday. Called us directly and sent an email estimate. Based on the detailed photos and descriptions of damage they sent estimated cost for repairs. Did not include everything as I noted the aluminum "eye brow" over the door is also damaged.

Estimated by Scamp for in shop (i.e. Bakus) repairs >$4,300.
The FG work is ~ $3,900 of that with a total of 14 hours labor ($70/hr).
Also $950 for awning and replacement Fantastik fan w/ Maxxair Fan $200.
$180 for the rear window that may not be necessary.

Local mobile RV service Barry Strickland came by yesterday and put butyl tape over cracks and caulked above rear window seal so we should be OK on leakage until all is fixed. Good thing as neither Lowes nor Home Depot has tape in stock.

AAA claims adjuster called in the afternoon yesterday and indicated as estimated repair is > $3,500 an insurance adjuster would be necessary to come out to evaluate. everything. Likely Monday.

Discussion with AAA indicated we can use our choice of repair services and since there are no RV repair shops in the area we will be OK with Strickland.

He can get the replacement fan, awning etc. and suggested we do not consider a BOAT repair but a high-end auto-body shop that can do FG work like on Corvettes etc. so the repair will be both structurally sound and restored to original finish.

The bummer so to speak is that I learned there is no coverage for our hotel stay for 2-3 days while the FG work is completed. Comprehensive coverage is the same as one's vehicle and not a home so not covered.

Only a few pet-friendly places on the island so no need to worry about a large list of choices of where to stay. We will need to emp[ty the trailer and store everything in the hotel room so will need a first-floor large room

Feeling more warm and toasty about our Scamp restoration/repair now that the shock of it all has passed.

Still 29F here at night Yikes!

Cheers all
Bat Dude
Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Glad the solution to your predicament is at least in sight. I think if it was me, and your temp fix solves the leak problems; I would stay South for the rest of your trip. Head up to Backus when the weather turns a little better in the Spring. Every time we dealt with Scamp's service department, it was a positive experience. They have all the correct parts and supplies, with many years of experience fixing Scamps. I doubt a high-end auto body will be any cheaper.

One thing that surprised us after a few years of traveling in our Scamp, is how spoiled we've become. We now dread staying in motels. I like to know who's been sleeping in my bed, and no more worries about "pet friendly" availability and extra costs. I feel your pain. Not to worry. The light you see will soon be at the end of the tunnel, and not shining through your trailers roof. Stay safe!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #19

Michigan
Updae on our Scamp ... perhaps last thoughts

Hi all,
Tnx for all the suggestions, commentary and commiseration!

We are definitely continuing our winter journey for a number of reasons.
Aside from untold feet of snow back home in Mich. and no place to park the Scamp....

I am also locked into teaching a graduate mini-course on bat acoustics and presenting a graduate seminar at the U. of Florida Gainesville early Feb. Also helping/working with my U.F. Peruvian Ph.D. student with her acoustic bat data.

So we will pull off Jekyll at the end of the month and head to Paynes’ Prairie State Park for at least a few week in Feb.

The local mobile RV service person can replace the broken Fantastik fan and replace the Fiamma awning so no issue there. We will hear from him Monday about the possibility of the high-end auto body shop doing the FG repair. We are a bit hesitant still about this as we would need to empty the trailer, remove cushions, curtains etc. for the FG work. Also, insurance does not cover hotel stay, food etc. for ~3 days while in the shop.

We will likely live with the current patch that has sealed any possible leaks and will either consider hauling it to Scamp in the summer or selling it. Everything will be fixed and replaced except the 2 cracks so not sure if someone will want it. All appliances etc. are 100%

We seem to be hooked on FG RVing and given we are "Full timing" for 4-4.5 months of the northern winter are still considering up sizing to a 19’ Escape. Bummer that the wait time for a new one is now up to July 2018 delivery.

We are taking the Zen approach..."It is what it is" and nothing we can do about it so stress or worry is not productive.

Cheers all

Bat Dude