Train Spotting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Glen Helen regional park, right at the intersect of I-15 and I-215 in Devore California.

I decided to come down and check out the camprgound for the nite, as it is close to my house. As a campground.. eh.. so so. Kinda old, somewhat dirty, and very windy (Cajon pass) Me and a couple older guys that like to watch trains are here, in thier big buldgy. It's high desert live oak and dust, a county urban camprground made more for the fishing lakes across the street and dirt eaters that go to Glen Helen off road park.

But, with only 3 of 47 campsites used, it may be a good stop over in the winter for weary travelers on the Vegas route. You have to come in thru a locked gate and lock it behind you, I was told vandalism is a problem, or WAS until they fenced and locked the place (I love LA!!!)

Anyway, there is a huge railway line just on the other side of the campground, the intersections and crossings are fulled with folks in thier camping chiars, with video cams and cameras, beer coolers and other day trip items. They actually just sit and watch the trains go by, counting the cars, getting all excited when one comes round the bend.

I noticed this a couple weeks ago driving thru here with Lauren, we had to wait close to 1/2 hour at the crossing because of all the long trains.

Is this a hobby? Sport or uhm, what? Bob? Where are you?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:

Anyway, there is a huge railway line just on the other side of the campground, the intersections and crossings are fulled with folks in thier camping chiars, with video cams and cameras, beer coolers and other day trip items. They actually just sit and watch the trains go by, counting the cars, getting all excited when one comes round the bend.

I noticed this a couple weeks ago driving thru here with Lauren, we had to wait close to 1/2 hour at the crossing because of all the long trains.

Is this a hobby? Sport or uhm, what? Bob? Where are you?
Gina, a few years back a freight train came down Cajon Pass and lost its brakes. It really devastated part of San Bernardino. I think a natural gas line was broached.

Maybe these train watchers are just waiting for the next one.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
Glen Helen regional park, right at the intersect of I-15 and I-215 in Devore California.
Glen Ellen is where they tried to create a Woodstock West a number of years ago---not a big success.

We used to go out to that area to get away from Los Angeles, but Los Angeles is catching up---especially since they connected the 210 to I 15.

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #4

Registry
Well, if you want a view of all the twinkly lights, this is the place. It opens up into the valley. I think I can see Palm Springs Seriously, it is kinda pretty, in an urban sorta way.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
"Railfanning" is a hobby with a large and varied following. Interests vary from those "foamers" mentioned above, to those who search for the perfect scenic area to photograph a nice landscape that happens to have a train in the scene, to people who enjoy riding passenger trains. There are countless other sub-interests as well, and I've not even mentioned model railroaders and all of their varied sub-interests.

"Trains" magazine has a subscription base of over 125,000, and the National Railway Historical Society has over 15,000 members, so there are a lot of us around. You just need to know where to look

There are some folks who own a private railroad car and they will arrange to be part of an Amtrak train and will travel all over the country. This is a wonderfully luxurious way to travel, but way way way out of my budget.

If you've never taken a cross country trip by train, I highly recomend it. Get a sleeping car space if you are planning an overnight trip, and be sure to eat in the dining car. Just don't plan on arriving on-time.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #6

Registry
I did some searching on the net last nite and I guess this is one of the more popular spots in the country for this. Whoda thunk?

I guess folks come from all over the country to do this. As nice as the weather was yesterday, I am stunned the campground was empty. Oh well.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
If you've never taken a cross country trip by train, I highly recomend it. Get a sleeping car space if you are planning an overnight trip, and be sure to eat in the dining car. Just don't plan on arriving on-time.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan, we're heading to Spokane the first week in March to pick up Bob Gregson's pickup and Scamp 5th wheel and we're taking AMTRAK out in a sleeper. We got hooked on AMTRAK a couple of years ago, and it's now our preferred method of recreational travel (when we're not trailering, of course). And, you're right... just make sure your schedule is flexible!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #8

Registry
I have done many many amtrak trips from portland to seattle and portland to LA. They instituted a no smoking policy several years ago, so.. as I would have wrecked the train, killed the conductor and been really grumpy after about 4 hours on a 27 hour trip, I ceased taking it.

Now I have quit smoking, I would be quite comfy again, but now I have two dogs and a trailer. I will take it again one day, I am sure tho.