Travel Suggestions Wanted - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Travel Suggestions Wanted

We seek suggestions for next years trip.

This fall we'll be making our 5th loop of the USA, leaving in October 2013 and returning ibefore May 2014. This is faster than our normal loop because we'd like to attend the Newfoundland music festival/rally in May 2014.

We will drive down the east coast to Florida than across thru to Arizona and North to Seattle, back home across the northern states.

Our goal is to travel mostly rarely traveled roads like last year's route 9 across New Mexico, rt 90 thru LA and the north/south route 93 from MT. All were unknown to us until last year and thoroughly enjoyable.

We seek suggestions for new places to see, new roads to travel and unusual places to eat.

Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Been to Alaska or Northwest Territories yet?

Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
From Seattle, go north to Everett and follow US 2 to New Brunswick. It goes east to the Great Lakes, cuts through Ontario, then picks up again in New Yort (I think). This is a trip on our bucket list.

You can find more info via a web search including an interesting slide/video of someone's trip.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

Florida
Ron,

We've been to Alaska and all the provinces and territories of Canada. The trip to Alaska was great; we particularly liked the portion thru the Yukon. We may do it again but not this year.

Of late we've been focusing on Newfoundland and Labrador. So far there's only one area of Newfoundland we haven't driven to, the road to Hermitage.

This loop it's just the USA.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
<-------JEALOUS girl!!!! I can't wait until i'm able to do this.

I have so many wonderful places that i love to camp around NC, SC and VA....but i can't think of a single one one the spot.

There's a Good Sams campground in Verona VA in the Shenandoah area that has lots and lots of beautiful almost tame bunnies that live under the rv's, trees and cabins. It's so cute. At any given time there are about 5-15 around you mostly black and white, some orange and grey. It's a neat place.

Of course if you come through Charlotte and go to the Charlotte Motor Speedway theres a great place to camp for free and regroup...i live right behind the speedway. My driveway
Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Florida
Dave, We have taken Route 2 from Michigan to Everett, a great ride and it may be our way home this year. The hill up from Wenatchee is tough, at least coming down with that stop sign at the bottom and hot brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hopefully, you'll be coming my way. I live in San Anselmo, 20 miles north of San Francisco. Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, the gateway to Point Reyes National Seashore - Point Reyes National Seashore, runs right near our home. You can park the trailer in Samuel P. Taylor State Park Samuel P. Taylor SP or the Olema RV Resort and Campground http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49478099,d.aWc. Pt. Reyes is a veritable outdoor playland. We visit at least once per week and have not yet exhausted the trails here. Beautiful vistas of the Pacific Ocean and Tamales Bay as well as views of nature abound. Every superlative you read about Pt. Reyes is true!

While driving through San Anselmo you might want to stop in this quaint town known for antique stores and great eats. A new park The New San Anselmo Downtown Park - Opening June 2013 | Help Us Finish This Beautiful Green Community Gathering Place next to Town Hall opened on land donated by our homeboy George Lucas. There is a statue of Indiana Jones and Yoda in the fountain.

And, of course, my hometown San Francisco is not to be beat! I am a volunteer tour guide with San Francisco City Guides San Francisco Walking Tours | City Guides . Look at their online schedule and you will find free tours every day of the week; every one of them led by passionate and well-versed volunteers.

If you do choose to come this way let me know it would be great to meet you in person.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
WV, Va., NC
Check out US Rt. 220. It goes through mostly valleys in WV. and Va. I should be nice that time of year with the leaves changing colors. A fair amount state parks and national forest sites near the Route.
Another option. You could also start at Shenandoah NP at Front Royal Va. and travel the entire Blue Ridge Parkway to the Smoky Mt. NP. October is a good month to catch the leaf color changes. Camping on the blue ridge is fairly inexpensive.
Eddie
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Non Freeways

I would suggest for western part that come you up from LA on hwy 1 until it joins 101. Then across 299 to Redding, up to MT. Lassen. Come up through Klamath Fall (hwy 97) to I-84. I don't remember the road from I-84 to Lewiston, ID. But from Lewiston take Idaho 12 into Montana. I understand that Glacier NP is a nice place to visit.
From there I really don't have any suggestions.

There's some great stops along hwy97. Crater Lake a short distance from Klamath Falls, Collier State Park, just north of Klamath Fall where the largest collection logging equipment is located. Newberry Crater, just south of Bend, La Pine State Park, also south of Bend.
You'll go through the mighty town of Shaniko, North of Bend.

The trip for CA through ID will take you from ocean to mountains, through high desert, and over the divide.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

Florida
Byron, Route 97 up thru Oregon is a good suggestion. There's a fiberglass trailer refurbisher on the east side of OR I want to visit. Thank you.

Eddie, we haven't gone down the west side of VA since our kids were at VT. Thanks

Gilda, if we make it to Frisco we will visit you. We love CA northern coast.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #11

Florida
I think I"ll put all the suggestions on a map and see how they link.

I've created a map with the suggestions including two places we intend to visit, Elko, NV and the Chirachua Mts.

Starting to look interesting it's primarily the southern states that are lacking plus any interesting stops.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #12

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
You might want to rethink the across the northern states in April and May. Lots of snow in some places.

We'll probably cross paths somewhere in AZ, NM or TX.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #13

Florida
Byron,

Thanks for the thought. We've run in to snow, particularly at the higher elevations. We just stop until it clears.

Really want to get home to get to Newfoundland.

So much left to do so little time. Thanks for the thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #14

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Quebec
Get thee to Newfoundland !

Allow lots of time in Newfoundland. We were there from June to September and still wanted to stay. Though, in fairness I have to say that it was getting cool. Blow me Down mountains are not to be missed. You may wish to leave the rig in a park in Corner Brook. The road to Blow me Down is Very Winedy....my sister in law blew her springs out following all the little roads, but then she had a stick rv. Also don't miss Twillingate, and then there is the east coast trail by St.John's. All incredible.