Travel up date from Bat Dude and family - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Travel up date from Bat Dude and family

Hi all,

We are slowly wending our way south from our non-mobile home base in the bleak frozen Great White North of Mich. winter.

We are not far enough south yet to be warm ;-)

After a number of family related stops for Turkey Day events (SE Mich. and Columbus OH) we made it to Huntington Beach State Park for 8 nights. Had one day in the low 70's (F) but otherwise lower temps so slightly chilled.

Now we are in Mount Pleasant near Charleston S.C. at a KOA. Spent yesterday walking on the beach at Isle of Palms where I frolicked and was burned raisin brown as a kid for several summers. My folks were not very impressed with the public schools at the time so I was sent to Porter Military Academy. I guess you know you are old with one of your grade school places is now a National Historical Monument 😉

We may return to walk the beach again today or try some nature trails at the nearby National Wildlife Refuge. That may be a bit limited as Esmé would not be welcomed.

Tomorrow we head to St. Mary’s KOA in Georgia for a one-night stop bypassing our normal Jekyll Island wintering spot to head further south to Fort Desoto an Island near St. Petersburg Fla. We will stop at Jekyll on the flip side of our trip Feb-March.

After Ft. Desoto we will head to “Sponge Bob” town, well Tarpon Springs where the sponge fishing was the main employment.

Still trying to complete some clandestine Xmas shopping for DW to be delivered to that location we will be there over Xmas.

I need to ramp up my painting again as I am entered in the annual Light Chaser’s show and still need to do that painting.
If and when anything of interest occurs, I will post more.

Cheers all,

Bad Dude
Old 12-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Hi Bruce; We spent one night at the St Mary KOA a few years ago. They put on a nice pancake breakfast in the morning. Don't know if they do it every morning. Campground was OK for an overnight is about all I can say. We have spent a few nights at Fort DeSoto County Park campground. Had a nice waterfront site but it was very windy the day we left, lots of tree debris blown down. You'll have to be in the loop where pets are allowed. We'll miss seeing you at Jekyll as we are only there for two weeks in April, in a rented house. Safe travels to you.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Hi B & M

Hi Bob & Mary

Sorry we will miss you folks this year.
We have also debated renting a place vs. staying at the campground like Hal and Dorothy did last year. Lost touch with them as several email messages went unanswered. I may try to PM Hal via FG site and see if I get a reply.

We are now checked into the St. Mary's KOA and they do still offer daily complementary breakfasts. Also have an interesting dinner menu. While I am working on "healthy" eating these days the BBQ ribs are very tempting.

We are hoping Jekyll Island will be more peasant weather-wise Mid Feb-March as the Januarys we have stayed were fairly brisk.

Looking froward to evening beach walks next year. Not sure about the impact of the capsized cargo ship in St. Simmons channel, apparently oil slicks are still washing up on the beach.

Have a great holiday season,
Bad Dude and family
Old 12-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Bruce; We haven't heard of much oil release from the shipwreck that actually got on the beach. As far as we know the plan is to cut it up where it lays and remove it in pieces, so there is some entertainment for you to watch. Over 4000 cars still on board to be removed. Expansion plans for the campground but don't know when that will be completed. New firehouse to be built, possibly near the campground but not sure of that location.The island is always changing, some not for the best in our opinion.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote