Trip advice for Seattle to Houston, etc - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Trip advice for Seattle to Houston, etc

Starting to make plans for my upcoming big trip. Will leave here end of April and head over to the Oregon Coast (Coos Bay to be specific), via Corvallis. Been on that route several times, so I'm good there. After Corvallis I plan to head south on 101 and visit the Redwoods after Crescent City. When I rented a motorhome I stayed at a place right in the redwoods, but forget exactly where they're located right now. On 101.

Then I'll head south a bit more and jog over to south of Sacramento, just off 99. Stay with a friend and do sightseeing from there, such as Yosemite and Lake Tahoe and maybe back to the Bay Area.

I'm pretty good on that route, but if there are things I should see along that route, give a shout out. I'm not interested in wineries in the least as many wines make me sick due to the sugar content and how it's hard for my body to digest - bummer, huh? <_<

But after that, I'm not sure of my route. It'll probably be too hot to head south to Phoenix as I was originally thinking, so now I'm thinking farther north through Flagstaff and then over to Albuquerque. And keep going east to Houston.

After that head north through Dallas to stay awhile in eastern Kansas (kind of near Tulsa/Wichita neck of the woods) and visit a good friend for a bit.

Thinking I would head north to Sioux Falls SD, then west to stay in Wall SD (friend has a farm, so free camping!) and ogle the Badlands. I heard Custer battlefield got burned out, so we'll see about that.

Then back home via Spokane and 90.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/comments on best routes for this trip, plus places to visit.

I know it's been mentioned in other threads, but if I could get a reminder of good apps for smart phones (yes, we finally upgraded to them last spring) for traffic/construction around the country, as well as weather, that would be wonderful.

Once I figure out my route, I do plan to get a TripTik from AAA as I just love those little printed out booklets. I get a sense of accomplishment when I flip over to a new page. (Okay, I'm weird that way, according to Dirk.)

Thanks much folks - greatly appreciate it.

(Please note I've also posted this over on the Escape forum and I don't read this forum very often due to lack of time, so if I'm asking stuff that's already been posted, I apologize.)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Texas
Lots of good places to camp on the way to and from Houston.
But camping in Houston isn't cheap, and you really don't want to boondock here.

Some places I have visited:

Most RV parks in Houston are going to run $40/nite and up. One near the PPL Motor-homes store (nice place to get parts).
American Legion, across from Ellington Field, electric only, $15 / nite.
VFW, Cleveland, TX $20/nite elec/water only. Steak night on THU w/band.
Several nice state parks in SE Texas.
Don't miss San Antonio. The KOA is high, but the city bus will take you to the Riverwalk. New Braunfels, Austin area has lots of stuff to do.
Dallas area isn't real good to RV park, but in Grand Prarie, Trader's Village has a good RV park. 10 mi. to Dallas or Ft. Worth. Good flea market also.

If you want more info in RV'ing in TX, OK, or Louisiana, let me know.

Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Each of the states you want to go through will have a free app for your phone that is put out by that State's Department of transportation. Those apps will show you exactly where there is road construction and also give current updates for any major transportation issues that might occur on short notice. I would load all those State apps into your phone before you head out. You can create a folder for them to make it easier to organize. Once you are done traveling in a state just delete the app that belonged to it.

The other thing I would recommend is downloading apps that show radar weather reports based on your current location. That will give you a way to check and see if there is going to be an issue. That will give you a heads up for changing routes or planning if you should leave early or later to avoid driving in rain that is hard to see through that could create hazardous driving conditions such as hydroplaning. You will be passing through thunderstorm country.

Of course if you are on the blue highways you won't always have cell phone connections so don't forget to take a GPS device and maps. The Benchmark Recreation Maps will give you extra information that local road maps won't provide including places to camp for low fees such as Forest land. https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/maps

The Benchmark Atlas is an expanded version of the map with more detailed information. https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/atlases

The Benchmark Atlas is an $$ investment but one that can bring a quick payback in saving camping cost and leading you to some fun sight seeing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
I would go a little north of Flagstaff, crossing into Utah instead. Zion National Park is a must see, I've been going there at least once a year since 1979, and its not like its close. From there, head over to Bryce Canyon, then follow Highway 12 to Torrey, good camping at the Wonderland Campground. Or get lucky and get a site at Capitol Reef NP (first come, first served).

Getting a hookup site at Zion is nearly impossible, make reservations six months in advance. But if you show up early in the day (late morning) you can often snag a site at the South Campground, no hookups.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote