Trip Feedback: Montana/Glacier National Park in early May - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #15
Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
No Room for bear country. By the time a bear hears your tiny "bear bell". it will be too close! I've kayak/camped/hiked in Alaska grizzly country and have lived/worked in National Parks. Hang your bear bell on your FGRV door (might frighten the pesky racoons), carry your bear spray, and talk/sing/yodel while want to give a bear plenty of time to hear you...from a distance. Don't may sound like a pika.

M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #16
Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Another point...dogs on wilderness trails...bears don't like dogs. A loose dog may return bringing a chasing bear toward you. Save your dog by keeping it leashed. If hiking in bear wilderness country or paddling for a day, I will board my dog in a nearby kennel. I always take my pit bull traveling with me, so when I search for campgrounds, I also look for kennels, depending on my planned adventures. But I still feel wierd singing" Here bear, here bear" while hiking solo.

M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Wife and I certainly chat during hikes, and the dogs are always leashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:20 AM   #18
Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita
Guess I should have been more specific on my bear bells. We actually have a six inch cowbell that travels with us and makes a good deal of noise. When we are by the rivers or streams, one of our group is in charge of "more cowbell". Also when we are picking huckleberries on our friends' homestead, etc, in more remote areas. The sound carries over the rushing water sounds when struck with a stick. We also make sure more than one person is equipped with pepper spray.
The tiny jingle bells don't cut it in bear country.
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
Name: Matt
Trailer: Jayco
I'm a huge fan of hiking on snow filled trails that are closed for winter and did it pretty often in Colorado but I think GBNP is a different story. I used to consult for a hospital there and even the locals wouldn't think about going up to the trails until June. There is some snowshoeing before that but it sounds like its pretty serious stuff.
Pullnotpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Our first trip to Glacier was in early June in 2014 and even then the Going to the Sun road was closed which was a bummer but we were able to drive it for several miles coming in from either end of it. It was beautiful what we did get to see and we had zero issues finding camping spots in the park. We used our heater over night as it did get a bit chilly but during the day the temps were great. If Going to the Sun road is a must see for you I would not recommend making the drive to Glacier until later in the year, if you are not all that concerned about that aspect then I think you will love it that time of year. We also did not have any issue finding places to eat or shop either if anyone in your party looks forward to those activities, everything seemed to be open. Have a great trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Fiberglass RV mobile app
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #21
Name: Donna
Trailer: Scamp
Glacier trip, campground

We stayed a couple nights at Mountain Meadow RV Park last July, right before the fire. It's on the West entrance side near Hungry Horse. We have a 16 foot Scamp and had full hookups, very close to a small shower house. Pretty nice.
Donna M
Steve n Donna M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
glacier camping

check out two medicine campground near east glacier. last year we stayed last week may 1st week june. Wonderful. No problem getting campsite used heater only rarely. No showers here but a great place fantastic views and great hiking. keep this a secret ok.

jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote