Trip report: Northern Minnesota & Michigan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #21

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
There is no ferry from Duluth or Superior. The closest one is in Bayfield and that is about an hour and a half drive roughly from Superior. I don't know of any ferries on the Minnesota side at all.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Well I hate to start a new thread for a single post, so I will add on to this six year old one....

The best campground I have personally been to in Minnesota might very well be Jay Cooke State Park. At the time they had no water at all, but repairs are underway and eventually there will also be new bath houses. But those things aside, the water falls are great.. see my video linked below (length 3:21). The park also has good biking paths and a few (mostly shorter) hiking trails. I give it 8 out of ten and when the repairs and upgrades are done, its an easy 9+.

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Nice. Looks like a good bit of tannin in the water from the pines.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nice. Looks like a good bit of tannin in the water from the pines.
Indeed.. much like at Tahquamenon Falls State Park, which is so well known for the water falls.. but I actually found the falls at Jay Cooke more inspiring.

On the other hand, Jay Cooke had no water service at all in the entire park. And Tahquamenon Falls State Park had a brewery on the grounds... glad I was able to visit both!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #25

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Hey gordon2, thanks for posting on this 6 year old post, I just "went on" the vacation I didn't get to take this past summer and wanted to thank Mike Magee but figured the post to old to comment on. I have 1000 hrs PTO but couldn't get vacationtime approved �� .......so while sitting here this rainy morning on my day off I happened on to mike magee's thread and oh what an enjoyable "vacation" i just had !!!!! I live 3.5 hrs NW of Duluth so I've been to the north shore many times and over to Bayfield area but the UP of Michigan has been calling my name !!!!
Thanks for the wonderful post Mike Magee!!!!! Mike I'm also wondering if you ever lived in Edmond Oklahoma? I was just a little kid but I remember my sister having friends with the last name Magee??
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Mike, (and all others that posted) thank you for your trip report. We’ve been talking about doing an U.P. Michigan trip for many years, and hope to do it next summer, to get out of the Arizona heat. I think I may try posting where we will be along the way, to see if any others may join us traveling, or give us recommendations while in various areas. Mike, did you make any reservations, or just “winged it” and took what was available?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Shirley, glad you enjoyed 'coming along' on my trip. Magee is just my screen name; DW and I (well, DW especially) are big on maintaining internet-only names just in case of identity theft or something.

Dave, I did not use reservations anywhere. However, state parks along the MN north shore in summer are full, full, full nowadays. And I've been told that McLain SP in MI usually is, too, but on that trip (first time going to that park) I got lucky. 2 years ago they lost a few sites along the water to erosion when a big storm came up, so now it's probably even harder to get in on the spur of the moment. Still, there are plenty of other campgrounds up that way. Porcupine Mountains, Ontonagon, Ft. Wilkins, Lake Gogebic, etc. And at most of them I would not hesitate to take my chances on a Sunday or weekday early afternoon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
. Magee is just my screen name; DW and I (well, DW especially) are big on maintaining internet-only names just in case of identity theft or something.

I don't understand this. My name was published as a photo credit many thousands of times over the forty-two years I worked for a newspaper. It's still my name. Nobody has stolen it yet, to my knowledge.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:57 AM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't understand this. My name was published as a photo credit many thousands of times over the forty-two years I worked for a newspaper. It's still my name. Nobody has stolen it yet, to my knowledge.

If they stole your name would that be similar to what happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote