Trip reports from Western Washington - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Trip reports from Western Washington

We managed to get out camping 5 times since May, and I thought it would be useful to report on the places we stayed. First, a little bit about my biases. This is our first summer with a trailer and I have found that my highest priorities are natural beauty, peacefulness, and outdoor activities (and perhaps cute towns) in the vicinity. We have never used hookups of any kind and I really don't like to be in a large cluster of RV's, although I sure do appreciate clean and functional restroom/shower facilities!

On to the reports:

We stayed one night in late May at Deception Pass State Park on the north end of Whidbey Island. This is the most popular Washington State Park for a reason. Awesome natural beauty on all sides. Beaches, forest, lake, etc. Impossible to get a reservation on a summer weekend unless you plan way in advance. We really enjoyed the pull-through tent site on the northern side of the main campground. We couldn't see any neighbors, it was very shady, and we could hear the waves at night.

We shared a pull-through site with tenting friends at Dash Point State Park in Federal Way for three nights. It is very close to Seattle and has some wooded hiking trails and a very popular beach. We were not in the RV area, and it looked very unpleasant to me, with all the sites fairly close together. The site we were in was relatively private (although I will always make sure I have afternoon shade, as the Boler gets way too toasty in direct sun). The bathrooms were in pretty bad shape, but there was a big utility sink with hot water which made washing dishes easy. Nice camp hosts jumped my car battery. There were quite a few vacant sites, as it was the middle of the week, but there were also quite a few people who looked a little sketchy.

We spent three nights at Flowing Lake Park, which is part of the Snohomish County Park system. We had a wonderful wooded campsite with lots of privacy. It did have hookups, but I just used the spigot for filling our water bottle. The bathrooms and showers were brand new and really nice. The campground is very far from any major roads, so it was very quiet at night. The park itself is on a lake that gets heavy day use from boaters and teenagers, so it was pretty crazy during the afternoons. But we fished off the fishing dock in the early mornings and it was very peaceful. The town of Snohomish was about 15 minutes away and had lots of great restaurants, bakeries, and antique shops in its quaint downtown.

We also went to two private resorts that have camping and cabins, one near Mt. St. Helens and one on Orcas Island. They were both fantastic.

EcoPark Resort (ecoparkresort.com) is the closest lodging to the main visitor center in the blast zone of Mt. St. Helens. There are no hookups at all and no generators allowed, but if you can live with that, it is a great place to stay in a camper or one of their cabins. It was only $18/night for a campsite. The site we got was pretty large (back-in, with room for friends to stay in a tent in the large grassy area). There is no electricity at the resort, so everything is either propane or solar. The bathroom/shower was clean. There is a restaurant with serviceable food and homemade pie, helicopter rides (too expensive for us), and horseback riding. The resort is on 130 acres, so there are tons of birds, wetlands areas, a beaver lake, elk meadows, and hiking trails. And it was very convenient for all the Mt. St. Helens activities. We loved it.

Last, but not least, is Doe Bay Resort (doebay.com) on Orcas Island. Another resort with cabins, yurts, and different types of camping. More expensive than the rest at $40-50/night, but I can't think of a more stunning setting and there are some amenities that may make it worth it. It is a "crunchy" kind of place, although not as blatantly counter-cultural as it used to be. Yoga and massages are available, and a big draw is the hot tub and sauna area (clothing optional!) that overlooks the water. There are meadows and a play structure for romping kiddoes, a secluded cove beach, kayaking. There is a general store where you can get natural foods, wine, toys, souvenirs. You can buy produce from the Doe Bay garden, or eat at the (fabulous, seriously fabulous) restaurant. If you want to cook but don't want to be stuck on the campstove, there is a large communal kitchen with refrigerators, cooking gear, two stoves, and seating. We camped with friends who shared our campsite in a tent and we bought farmers market items every day and prepared amazing gourmet meals. There is sometimes music at the restaurant, and they were having a Shakespeare performance the day we left. We actually ended up spending two extra days, for a total of 5 nights. I never wanted to leave! Blissful quiet, gorgeous island setting, roaming deer, friendly people, great food, quaint island towns. Wonderful.

We've had a great summer!
Amy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Amy,
I know you had some trying times getting Clementine ready. I'm happy to hear you and your family had a wonderful summer in Clementine.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Amy,
I know you had some trying times getting Clementine ready. I'm happy to hear you and your family had a wonderful summer in Clementine.

John
Thanks a lot to you, John! This is an excellent community.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thanks for a great report!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Hi Amy,

It was fun reading about your camping experiences with your new egg, so glad you were able to get out and enjoy it.

We have trailer camped all over western WA and thought I'd share some of our favorites for your future adventures.

For starters, are two Clallam-County parks here on the Olympic Peninsula - Dungeness Recreation Area, in Sequim, and Salt-Creek Campground, in Joyce. Dungeness does not have hook-ups, lots of trails, and the Dungeness Spit to walk, wildlife, and absolute quiet. Salt Creek has some hook-ups, the more private and wooded sites, do not. Also trails, wildlife, beach access. At Salt Creek many sites have water views, and Dungeness the water view is a few steps away. Both have great bathrooms & showers.

Most people who come to Peninsula head to the National Park campgrounds (Mora is our favorite, on the coast, close to gorgeous Rialto Beach) but these two still fill up peak season because they are both so beautiful. There is a reservation system and first-come sites.

Another area we enjoy that is less popular but gorgeous, is the Mt. Adams area. We have stayed in several campgrounds there and enjoyed them all, won't list them unless someone is interested, they are Forest Service Campgrounds so no hook-ups but all very nice.

Two favorites other have mentioned on this forum, on the south WA coast, are Grayland State Park and Cape Disappointment State Park - both nice campgrounds with wonderful sandy beaches.

Our favorite 'in our backyard' campground is Fort Flagler State Park, the hook-up sites are pretty packed in, the non-hook ups more private and woodsy - the park is fantastic with lots of beach and miles of trails.

Hope you have many adventures in your Clementine! You have given 'her' new life and she will give you many returns!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #6

Registry
Thank you for chiming in, Penney! I love to hear of more good camping options. We have an embarrassment of riches in terms of beautiful camp spots in our state, and it can be hard to choose among them.

Since we were able to see Mt. Adams from Mt. St. Helens, it is now on my short list of future destinations, so I would love to hear about those places as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penney H. & Mike E. View Post
Hi Amy,

We have trailer camped all over western WA and thought I'd share some of our favorites for your future adventures.

Penney
Old 10-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Camping in W WA

We missed you at the nogs. Maybe next year?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We missed you at the nogs. Maybe next year?
Yes, maybe next year. This was the year of fixing her up and getting our feet wet with camping. Between that, dealing with the schedules of kid and adults, and realizing that we didn't really need to or want to drive more than 2-3 hours from home, we couldn't make a NOG work. But it's on the list of things we'd like to do.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Amy:

You asked for experience with trailer camping in Washington State.

We took our trailer on its maiden voyage to Bay View State Park March 4 - 8, 2010 camping in spot #3. This is a great site with hookups and good facilities, close to La Conner, Anacortes, Mount Vernon. We had sunny weather. Photos here: Ladybug's Maiden Voyage - a set on Flickr

We made a trip to Deception Pass State Park April 11 - 14, 2010 in Cranberry Lake Forest Loop #40. A beautifully treed site with great access to Whidbey Island. Photos here: Trip to Deception Pass, WA - a set on Flickr

Brian