Trip to Ouray Colorado - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The tie dye shirts and the cars really match! Looks like you are having a nice time together.

If you happen to need a place to camp (full CGs or something), there's a good boondock site halfway between Silverton and Ouray, off the east side of the highway and somewhat below you in some trees. You're likely to see a few folks already parked there so it should be easy to spot.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The tie dye shirts and the cars really match! Looks like you are having a nice time together.

If you happen to need a place to camp (full CGs or something), there's a good boondock site halfway between Silverton and Ouray, off the east side of the highway and somewhat below you in some trees. You're likely to see a few folks already parked there so it should be easy to spot.
Mike, I believe that describes "Ironton Park" where we will be staying.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #23

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Mike, I believe that describes "Ironton Park" where we will be staying.
Dave & Paula
Oh, it has a name? How about that?!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #24

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
Ironton Park

David and Andy - - - you may already be familiar with Corkscrew Gulch but if not, be sure and do the trail that goes up from Ironton to Corkscrew. It's a great Jeep ride and beautiful. And if you want to, you can keep going on over to Hurricane Pass and California Gulch and into Silverton, then back up Hwy 550 to Ironton.

There will be beautiful trails all around you! Wish we were going next week instead of September. We vary the months every year.

. . . . Fred
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #25

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Quote:
Andy, maybe we'll see you there, as we should be in that area this coming weekend. We will be dry camping in the ghost town of "Ironton Park", off Red Mountain Pass between Ouray and Silverton.

Dave & Paula

I saw you today in the afternoon when you were driving through Ouray. You were headed south and we were headed north. Have fun. We sure have. Black Bear and Imogene passes today.
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #26

Florida
Trip to Ouray Colorado

Imogene pass
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0714.JPG  
Old 08-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #27

Florida
One more from the sand dunesClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0625.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	110052
Old 08-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #28

Florida
Black bear passClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	110053
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #29

Name: Fred & Linda
Trailer: Little Joe
Texas
I'm jealous! Keep on enjoying the area.
Fred-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #30

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred-Linda View Post
Oh my goodness! Did your children put all that decoration on those Cadillacs??? Ha.

I remember when he first put them there - - - before there was any graffiti on them. It was quite an attraction back then, and still is.

Unfortunately the owner got in trouble and passed away in 2014 while still fighting his indictments.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dies/10703433/

Interesting read.

I love it. It's strange, interactive, colorful and it gets people outside
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't ride your brakes in the mountains going down. Use a lower gear like D2 so that the engine helps limit your speed. Brakes get hot, brakes stop working. That is what those odd off ramps full of gravel that go off up hill as you go down a pass are for. Runaway trucks can divert into them if their brakes fail. Deep soft gravel slows down the truck.

One of my favorite parts of the country is most of Colorado. Everything from arid to cool mountains. Have family in Pueblo. You might want to check out Mesa Verde for the indian ruins. Nice day trip exploring the cliff houses. Near Durango.

One last thought, it is harder to get a good campfire at higher elevations, air flow matters more with less oxygen. If possible give yourself a day or two at elevation to acclimate, take it easy for a couple of days before going on long hikes etc.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #32

Oklahoma
Did you drive Black Bear yourself? If so, what did you think of the difficulty level?
Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Looks like you're having a great trip, we last visited the area a few years ago and loved it. Haven't camped there yet, but I have family in Montrose so expect to return sooner than later - planning to retire next year and put some miles on the Casita.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #34

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Andy, sorry we missed you. Ironton Park looked pretty full, so we went on to just 2 miles outside of Silverton to camp free in "Sulton" camp ground in the "Mineral Creek" area. There is room for you guys if you're looking for something different to see. We are right along the creek.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #35

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
...I was able to snap this candid shot of a guy with great aim...
Attachment 109793

... and with a restroom only a few feet away! Sheesh!
Clever, wish I could do that!!!
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #36

Florida
Quote:
Did you drive Black Bear yourself? If so, what did you think of the difficulty level?

It wasn't too bad. I'm glad we did meet a group at the summit. It made the descent easier, having a spotter on the first switchback. And piece of mind if any problems. If you are afraid of heights don't do. The views were the best I've ever seen.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #37

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Don't ride your brakes in the mountains going down. Use a lower gear like D2 so that the engine helps limit your speed. Brakes get hot, brakes stop working. That is what those odd off ramps full of gravel that go off up hill as you go down a pass are for. Runaway trucks can divert into them if their brakes fail. Deep soft gravel slows down the truck.

One of my favorite parts of the country is most of Colorado. Everything from arid to cool mountains. Have family in Pueblo. You might want to check out Mesa Verde for the indian ruins. Nice day trip exploring the cliff houses. Near Durango.

One last thought, it is harder to get a good campfire at higher elevations, air flow matters more with less oxygen. If possible give yourself a day or two at elevation to acclimate, take it easy for a couple of days before going on long hikes etc.

I actually have 5.13 gears so they do help a lot
Old 08-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #38

Florida
Quote:
Andy, sorry we missed you. Ironton Park looked pretty full, so we went on to just 2 miles outside of Silverton to camp free in "Sulton" camp ground in the "Mineral Creek" area. There is room for you guys if you're looking for something different to see. We are right along the creek.

Dave & Paula

I made reservations last year so we are set but planning a trip to silverton on Monday. I'll keep my eyes open. Have fun
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #39
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Wearing their seat belts?

For those unfamiliar with Black Bear Pass as I was, there are a large number of videos, some covering the complete journey. This one is quite short and will tell you all you need to know.

Andy, better you than me.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #40

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Not bad, but I would be more impressed if they drove down those roads in a wooden ore wagon that had steel-rim wheels, a springboard seat and wooden-block brakes hauling a load of ore rock using only a team of horses to hold them back, like they did in the old days when those roads were originally built!
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote