Trip to southwest - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro

Hi Everybody!!

We have been lurking here for 6 months and finally bought the Burro from Marsha in Kansas City. The tires are hardly cool in the driveway and we are planning our first trip.

We are thinking winter - sometime between January 15 and March 15. We are going to go south of K.C. to I-40 and go to Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Sedona, maybe Grand Canyon, on down to Yuma to see my Mom.

Worried about I-40 weather, wondering about campgrounds, wondering how cold it really is before we get to Yuma. Which time frame would be better. Advice, and recommendations please.

Taking trailer in to shop - checking brakes, axles, shocks, lights, tires - what else??"

Thanks so much - Christi

Old 11-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:

Worried about I-40 weather, wondering about campgrounds, wondering how cold it really is before we get to Yuma. Which time frame would be better. Advice, and recommendations please.

Taking trailer in to shop - checking brakes, axles, shocks, lights, tires - what else??"

Thanks so much - Christi
Hi Christi,
Congratulations on your Burro. You are going to enjoy it.
I am planing a trip to Lake Alamo, AZ. in late November for some Bass fishing, about 100 miles north of Yuma. Bring your fishing rod if you enjoy fishing as Az. Lakes are great.
I talked to the Ranger at Lake Alamo and he said to bring warm clothes as it starts getting cold in November and December. He told me that it is about 80 degrees during the day and gets down to about 40 at night.
If you go to http://www.arizona-leisure.com/arizona-parks.html can't figure out how to do the hyperlinks thing, it gives you a complete State map with the Parks and Lakes. Phone #s and all the info you need. When you click on a Park or Lake it will also give you the type of camping available and a map of the sites as well as the cost.
Enjoy your trip. Anything south of Kansas has to be warmer in the winter.

John

Old 11-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
... sometime between January 15 and March 15. We are going to go south of K.C. to I-40 and go to Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Sedona, maybe Grand Canyon, on down to Yuma to see my Mom.

Quote:
[b]Anything south of Kansas has to be warmer in the winter.
It can get quite cold in Oklahoma in the winter. When I was a child, we would drive for 3 days from Syracuse, NY to visit my Grandparent's farm just south of I-40, between Hinton & Binger, OK. We always made that trip in July or August, and I always believed Oklahoma was a hot place.
Then, as an adult, I had the opportunity to make the trip from San Diego to the farm in November! I flew from San Diego to Oklahoma City, and rented a car for the 1-1/2 hour drive to the farm. No snow but very cold.
I would be concerned about areas that are higher elevation along your route; Eastern Alburquerque, and Flagstaff come to mind. My nephew goes to college in Flagstaff and had a bad accident driving in a snowstorm there.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #4

Many thanks to both of you. I'll go look for those fishing poles!!

Actually, our first stop was going to be Hinton. Looked quite nice. Expect to average about 350-400 miles a day. I'm worried about high elevations too, but with that daily average, I thought we could travel in the sunny part of the day or wait a day.

I was wondering about cutting down to Tucson, can you maybe go around the mountain pass that way? I think I need a new Atlas tomorrow!!

Where do you all get info on campgrounds. Got a big telephone book looking kind of thing the other day to get me started. I'll list campgrounds as soon as I know and look for yeses or ughs!!

Thanks, Christi
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #5

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
You have a computer, the best guide to camprgrounds is at your fingertips. Google will produce wads of info.

The hazards of going to the states you want to go at the time you want to go do not necessarily lie in the possibilty of snowfall. It's in the SNOWbirds.

AZ, New Mexico, So. Cal.. they all flock here. I like AZ, but only go in winter for obvious reasons. (We need a flame thrower smiley) It is a matter of reserving early early early and being prepared to not have the pick of the litter when it comes to spaces.

You can get spaces, but try to pre reserve as much as possible.

From the Helpful links over to the left there.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #6

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Actually, our first stop was going to be [b]Hinton. Looked quite nice.
Where do you all get info on campgrounds.
Were you thinking of Red Rock Canyon? It is a nice place. The entrance road could be a challenge in the winter, it used to be somewhat steep (if I remember correctly). Very similar to Camp Switzerland in Crestline, CA. Ask Gina about that one.

Another great place is Roman Nose Resort. It is on the north side of I-40 at the same exit. My family held many of our reunions there, when Grandma was alive. It is larger than Red Rock Canyon, with more amenities. It is easier to get into and out of, but is farther off the Interstate.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #7

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
We will be going to the Grand Canyon January 23 to 25 and take the mule day trip into the canyon. They told us that while there probibly won't be any snow it could get to freezing at night and about 40 during the day. They said, no problems with rv's just unhook the water hose at night and all will be fine. We also hope in Feb. to visit the Aqua Calienta hot springs campground in San Diego county. We are bringing pink stuff to put in drains if we need it but will have heat in the trailer so don't expect any problems and have chains just to be legal but in all the years we have traveled we have used them once. Usually just figure on hitting the worst spots about noon and by then the roads have usually cleared and are safe.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Red Rock Canyon - that is a terrible, steep, scary road in. However, I believe there is a back entrance that isn't too bad. I would talk to some locals and stay away from the main entrance.

Also, at least the two times we were there, if you stayed in the campground that was primative, it was free. Sometimes a free night or two is worth the inconvenience, especially if you arrive late and get up early the next morning.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
Quote:
Many thanks to both of you. I'll go look for those fishing poles!!

Actually, our first stop was going to be Hinton. Looked quite nice. Expect to average about 350-400 miles a day. I'm worried about high elevations too, but with that daily average, I thought we could travel in the sunny part of the day or wait a day.

I was wondering about cutting down to Tucson, can you maybe go around the mountain pass that way? I think I need a new Atlas tomorrow!!

Where do you all get info on campgrounds. Got a big telephone book looking kind of thing the other day to get me started. I'll list campgrounds as soon as I know and look for yeses or ughs!!

Thanks, Christi
I love the internet, thanks so much Al Gore. I like woodall's at:

http://www.woodalls.com/index.cfm?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #10

This is shaping up nicely, thanks to you all.

How about this - Cassville, Mo to Hinton, no Red Rock Canyon, thanks for the warning - we'll stay at Roman Nose!!
Next stop was Canyon, Tx, near Amarillo -
Next - Santa fe - thinking Santa Fe Skys - anyone been there
Sedona - Rancho Sedona or maybe KOA - Circle of Pines
Day trip to Grand Canyon - it's been advised.
Next stop - Mom's house, Yuma - we'll take the fishing poles!!

Good so far? Thanks for your warning about the snowbirds. This is our first year to be one. I'll just stay where there are reservations first trip out and travel in the middle of the day.

Love the advice, thanks, keep it up. Christi
Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #11

California
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Roman Nose Resort.
It is easier to get into and out of, but is farther off the Interstate.
Quote:
Hinton, no Red Rock Canyon, thanks for the warning - we'll stay at Roman Nose!!
So you don't get lost:
Roman Nose is north of [b]Watonga, Oklahoma, about 30 miles north of I-40.
Red Rock Canyon is south of [b]Hinton, Oklahoma, about 5 miles south of I-40.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #12

California
Registry
Talking

I highly recommend seeing Chisholm Trail Museum Governor Seay Mansion while you are staying at Roman Nose.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:00 AM   #13

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Congratulations on your Burro and on your upcoming trip - sounds like fun! Since you'll be in the area, I'd recommend a night or two at Palo Duro State Park. Electric and water hookups available http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findade...arks/palo_duro/

We were there after Christmas last year. Daytime temps in the 70's but it did drop below freezing at night. Just be sure to turn the water off at the outside spigot before going to bed. Not much in the way of organized activities but the scenery and wildlife are great; highly recommend the Lighthouse Trail.

Al
Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Congratulations on your Burro and on your upcoming trip - sounds like fun! Since you'll be in the area, I'd recommend a night or two at Palo Duro State Park. Electric and water hookups available http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findade...arks/palo_duro/
Al
Thanks for the recommendation. I thought the Park info said the intrance was 'Steep". Our burro is not that long -did you find it okay? It looked really nice. I had switched to the commercial park but had not mande reservations yet. Thanks again