Trip up Olympic Penninsula & to Vancouver Island! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #15
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
The route we like best is the BC Ferry from Tsawwassen to Departure Bay in Nanaimo. The other route is Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, just outside of Victoria. Tsawwassen routes are not for those wanting to see the Olympic Peninsula but works just fine if you are entering Canada at the Peace Arch.

It probably costs a bit more than the Coho Ferry, if you make reservations (which we don't). It costs us $93 for weekday travel, but that's all the way to Nanaimo which is mid-island so very good for us since almost all our camping is west and north of Nanaimo and we avoid the traffic around Victoria and a 2 hour (?) drive. Usually we use the Swartz Bay route heading home and have never, ever had to que up for more than 20 minutes. We use to take the Black Ball but have had to que up as much as 4 hours and then been the very last rig they load on the very last ferry for the day. No fun.

Carol Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Ferry cost: Coho to Vancouver Island
$10 reservation fee
$86 me, tug/13'er under 30' total
Total $96

Wash State ferry to Friday Harbor and Mainland
$30 reservation
$50.55 me, tug/13'er under 30' total
Total $80.55
Hi Joy,

It is interesting to compare our costs! For our Ford Ranger + Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel, here were the costs for the ferry:

Ferry cost: Coho from Port Angeles to Victoria
$93.00 driver + tug + trailer, total length 32 feet
$11.50 extra adult passenger (me)
Total $104.50

Ferry cost: BCFerries from Nanaimo (Duke Pt) to Tsawwassen
$97.10 "oversized vehicle", length 32 feet
$22.30 2 adult passengers
$8.40 port fees and surcharges
Total $127.80

So the Coho didn't charge for the extra height of the Scamp Fifth wheel, but the BC Ferries did. What's more interesting is that after charging us for the extra height, the BC Ferries loaded us onto a deck with shorter vehicles and not on the deck with all of the tall trucks (go figure).

lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #17
Hey Joy!

Glad you enjoyed Salt Creek as we did. What did you think of the other campgrounds that you visited in the Pacific NW?
-- Elks CG
-- Ocean City SP
-- Qualicum Bay RV
-- McDonalds PP
-- Lakeside RV
-- Silver Falls SP

(Looking for recommendations for future trips !)

lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #18
Name: Peter
Our truck troubles started on the way back from the bike ride the evening before we left Weir Beach: our battery light came on and the volts on our battery started to drop. I decided to take the truck up to our next stop at Nanaimo and run it out to a Ford Dealership the next day (Monday), but the battery light went out and the volts came back up.

. . .

After a few days in Nanaimo, we headed out to take a ferry to Vancouver Island home with our pesky battery "trouble" light back on. We got the rig loaded and off the ferry, but about ten miles after unloading the truck quit. I used an emergency "jump start" battery to get us to an off-ramp and swapped batteries with the trailer. The trailer battery got us into the US, which is where the battery light went out and the battery started charging again.

And so the saga continues . . .

After a few oscillations where the alternator/charging dash light would come on, then go off again before getting our TV home so I could troubleshoot the electrical system, the charging light came on again today while I was giving my son a driving lesson, and stayed on until we were back home. So I finally got to do my troubleshooting and figure out what went wrong last month while Lynne and I were up in BC.

The voltage regulator -- a component of the alternator I replaced shortly after we bought the truck -- is bad. I had kinda suspected it was wonky, but needed it to fail so I could hook up a volt meter and make sure it was, in fact, the regulator and not an intermittent fault in the wiring harness somewhere.

So, after finishing my trouble shooting session, I thanked my son for breaking the truck. Now, at last, I can fix it and feel a little more confident that our TV will make it There and Back Again the next time we go camping.

Have you ever seen someone so happy when he tells you his tow vehicle is broken>

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
Trailer: 1974 Ventura
When I took the BC Ferry to Vancouver Island from Vancouver Mainland, they said my wee 13ft. Ventura was overheight so, had to pay extra. So, there I was dwarfted between all the huge 18 wheeler rigs. It felt like an absolute joke. Hmm maybe if I let out some of the air from the tires and-------. Bonnie

bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote