Two Campgrounds on 101 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Sunset Bay: NOT, as I had hoped, a good destination as a quick overnight stop, as it is well off of 101 to the west. I stayed in A33. It was a nice campground, but no water views, and just your basic woodsy look. My campsite was horrible to back into; the road seems to be going the wrong way through the campground so that instead of a >90 angle into the site it was less. No shoulder and a narrow road meant I ended up unhitching and walking the trailer back. I wonder what someone with a bigger rig would do! With more visibility I might have done better but this was not a good site for me to back into.

On the plus side, the people were friendly, both campers and hosts. No wild parties, though lots of campfires. A nice mix of tents and trailers, and the sites were somewhat private (though my picnic table, had I used it, was very close to my neighbor's tent.) I came late and left early so can't say much about what is nearby. I reserved my site in June.

Redwood Acres is at the Fairground in Eureka where I'm attending an agility trial, but its a year-round RV park. $25 a night with a $5 AAA or Good Sam discount (last year it was $20/$15 but they added Wifi so I'm not complaining.) It's your basic back in, strip RV park. You back onto grass from gravel/pavement. Behind most of the sites is woods (but fenced so you can't enter it) and you are side by side with your neighbors.

But it is also quiet, and cool, and an inexpensive place to stay right in the city of Eureka. It is all overnighters/weekenders (no long-term residents as far as I can tell.) Bathrooms are clean and showers are free, and there is a coded lock on the bathroom door (same code as last year, though.) I believe the gate is closed from about 10-6 AM. The RV park is full this weekend, but at least a number of those are here for the trial, so I don't know if it normally fills up. I also sent a reservation in in June for this site.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Sunset Bay has two areas for camping. The old side and the newer side. The facilities on the old side do show their age. We have stayed there 3 times thus far and stayed mainly toward the front (old side) backing onto the hillside. We have seem many forms of wildlife in this part. We also enjoyed the creek running through the middle and emptying out into the ocean. I guess because of the two different areas there does seem to be some confusion about how to navigate the roadways therein, but we're planning a return visit next year when we attend again the Sand Blast Rod Run.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Sunset Bay has two areas for camping. The old side and the newer side. The facilities on the old side do show their age. We have stayed there 3 times thus far and stayed mainly toward the front (old side) backing onto the hillside. We have seem many forms of wildlife in this part. We also enjoyed the creek running through the middle and emptying out into the ocean. I guess because of the two different areas there does seem to be some confusion about how to navigate the roadways therein, but we're planning a return visit next year when we attend again the Sand Blast Rod Run.
Hmm, well, I don't know if the side I was on was old or new, as I really didn't check out much of the facilities. We walked our own loop is all. I'd guess probably the old area, though as the pads didn't seem very new. I'd have liked to see more of the park in the daytime but I was just passing through.

One thing I forgot to mention that I didn't know- Oregon lets foster parents with foster kids in tow stay free at the campgrounds, apparently. The group checking in in front of us was a foster family.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote