Two Weeks on the Road - Now in Fairbanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Becky
Trailer: Scamp 19 Foot 5th Wheel
Mississippi
Two Weeks on the Road - Now in Fairbanks

We are now in Fairbanks, AK after surviving the Alaska Highway. We did the same itinerary last year and thus far, the weather has been much better. What is not better is the condition of the highway between Whitehorse, YT and Tok, AK. There are many sections of gravel and the frost heaves were terrible. Every time we stopped, either the emergency hatch or the windows had come open. Even though we have all the cabinets/drawers closed with bungie cords, we still had so much shifting going on.

If you read my blog update, you will see that we had a problem with the lid coming off a jar of instant coffee and now we need to find a vacuum so we can get that cleaned up. Here is the link:

http://ryderrunsandrants.blogspot.ca/2012/06/now-in-fairbanks.html

I know this has been previously discussed, but I’ll once again bring it up. We have a 19 foot 2011 5th wheel Scamp. We are experiencing much more wear on the outer portion of the curb side tire. We travel light, drive no faster than 55 and regularly check tire inflation. I think we now have about 10,000 miles on these tires and we will need to closely monitor the wear. Last year, with our Scamp 16 foot, wte had to replace tires after about 12,000-15,000 miles.

We have been spending many nights boon docking in Walmart parking lots and that has worked well. We certainly would not be able to do that in a warmer climate and not being able to run the air. But, it gets cool enough here that with a window open, I start the night with one blanket and then need another.

Our 2012 Toyota Tundra V8 double cab has been great. We just got the 5000 mile checkup done this morning.
beckyruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #2

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Can you post pix?
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
I read your blog, and I'm so jealous! Sounds like you're having a great time.

Not sure what to tell you about the tire wear, though. That's odd. Maybe someone else will have an idea.
Janet Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
[QUOTE=beckyruns;317317]

I know this has been previously discussed, but I’ll once again bring it up. We have a 19 foot 2011 5th wheel Scamp. We are experiencing much more wear on the outer portion of the curb side tire. We travel light, drive no faster than 55 and regularly check tire inflation. I think we now have about 10,000 miles on these tires and we will need to closely monitor the wear. Last year, with our Scamp 16 foot, we had to replace tires after about 12,000-15,000 miles.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

Unless you have a bent axle, I'm not sure how this could be happening

I am assuming that there is NO unusual wear on the other tire?

Wearing only ONE side of a tire would normally be a sign of an alignment issue - which, on a solid axle unit would mean that the axle is not square to the frame. That would mean that the "inside edge" of the left-side tire would also wear.

However, if the axle is bent a bit, it is possible to have ONE side that is scuffing a bit sideways, wearing off the outside edge of that tire.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=BCDave;317605]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyruns View Post

I know this has been previously discussed, but I’ll once again bring it up. We have a 19 foot 2011 5th wheel Scamp. We are experiencing much more wear on the outer portion of the curb side tire. We travel light, drive no faster than 55 and regularly check tire inflation. I think we now have about 10,000 miles on these tires and we will need to closely monitor the wear. Last year, with our Scamp 16 foot, we had to replace tires after about 12,000-15,000 miles.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

Unless you have a bent axle, I'm not sure how this could be happening

I am assuming that there is NO unusual wear on the other tire?

Wearing only ONE side of a tire would normally be a sign of an alignment issue - which, on a solid axle unit would mean that the axle is not square to the frame. That would mean that the "inside edge" of the left-side tire would also wear.

However, if the axle is bent a bit, it is possible to have ONE side that is scuffing a bit sideways, wearing off the outside edge of that tire.
While that last sentence is true, the assertion that the axle not being square with the frame would cause tire wear is normally not so. An axle mounted off square would simply dog track, resulting in the axle tracking straight , carrying the trailer at an offset angle.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
You are correct sir! My bad.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
our axle, was bent on the driver side; the front of the wheel was canted inward, scuffing the outside edge of the tire, the inside edge was ok. the PO hit something on that side about 16"s in from the frame attachment. A machine shop in the Yukon territories straightened it, after I removed it in a camp ground. If you have a straight edge 6' long, it can be held along the side of the tire, looking from the back of the trailer, or looking down from on top of the wheel well, one can see how close it is to parallel to the side of the trailer. could also be done with a long string, need more than one set of hands.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Thanks for the information on the highway through the Yukon. I drove here from the lower-48 last March when it was still buried under snow and ice, but sans trailer. I'm living in Anchorage until the Fall when I will be driving back with my recently acquired Bigfoot. Sounds like I'll have to make some extra time to navigate that section of the highway. Hope you are getting accustom to the 22-hour days.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote