UN-Planning my Xmas get away trip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2006, 11:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hey Gina - we can relate to the good news about first 'tune up' being over 100K miles. We have logged about 138K on our Mazda MPV (about 1/3 of those miles tugging). About 30K miles ago, DH (who is a very experienced mechanic on older "non-electonic" vehicles) thought it would be a good idea to check those spendy platinum (or whatever) plugs and replace if needed ... so he went to work. With all his knowledge, he could not even FIND the plugs. During our Christmas visit to Reno, I checked with the dealership for a quote on this chore - $368! Seems the engineers at Mazda decided it would be interesting to hide them behind the intake maniford, which must be removed in order to reach the plugs.

You guessed it ... this van will DIE with those plugs in place - Yikes!!!

Oh, for the good ol' days of 'shade tree mechanics' when you could service or repair your own car if you we so inclined.
Hope your holiday travel plans are shaping up for many safe & happy miles and lots of holiday joy.
Take care, L 'n D

Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Beleive me, there are many things I miss about my youth, (like.. YOUTH!) but poverty requiring me no choice but to work on my own rat trap cars is not one of them.

Jiffy Lube, good mechanic for the more complicated stuff.. I am stylin!

I am really not much of a beach kinda gal, I am more forest oriented and did want to stay a bit closer to the 101.

I have done the 1 it's full length, and it IS beautiful, but only having a short time to do this, I was thinking more of being on faster roads. The kids don't ride well for hours on end.

I sure liked Cambria tho. The fog and drizzle suits me. I could have watched the beach storm we had for days.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
Quote:
Thanks for the Link! Some good stuff is in there.

Maybe I will just wander...
FYI Gina,

Kirk Creek is #1 - America's Most Scenic Campgrounds

Check out Top 10 Scenic Campgrounds
http://www.weather.com/activities/recreati...pten/camp1.html

http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html
Old 11-15-2006, 01:11 AM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Maybe I will just wander...
Some of the best trips I've taken were just wandering. There's been a couple where we didn't decide which way to turn at the end of the driveway until we there. Thought we might head for one place, changed our minds 3 or 4 times before we settled. By the time we figured out where we wanted to go we were there. Typically a change or two on the road, then a couple more changes while walking down the trail.

As a matter of fact until we got the trailer we almost always changed our minds on the way. Even changed our minds in rounte with the trailer a couple of times. Some of the best trips are that way.

We've already planned a wandering part of a trip next summer. Going to Bullards, then to Burlington WA. We've got 4 days to get to Burlington. That will be the wandering time. No reservations, no deadlines, etc.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #19

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Some of the best trips I've taken were just wandering. There's been a couple where we didn't decide which way to turn at the end of the driveway until we there. Thought we might head for one place, changed our minds 3 or 4 times before we settled. By the time we figured out where we wanted to go we were there. Typically a change or two on the road, then a couple more changes while walking down the trail.

As a matter of fact until we got the trailer we almost always changed our minds on the way. Even changed our minds in rounte with the trailer a couple of times. Some of the best trips are that way.

We've already planned a wandering part of a trip next summer. Going to Bullards, then to Burlington WA. We've got 4 days to get to Burlington. That will be the wandering time. No reservations, no deadlines, etc.
Hi: "I wonder where I wander" Sounds like retirement too me Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 11-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #20

West Coast USA
Registry
Planning and Wandering is an Oxymoron.

These links prrovide many beautiful places tucked up in the trees. They all look good.

My question tho, not that I am cheap, is why are the camp fees so high for non hook up spots? 27-30 bones in the state run ones.

That Fernwood resort looks great!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Gina, we've never stayed in that campground but the Jedediah State Park is one of our favorite places to hike in the redwoods. It's so beautiful there. I love to go off the beaten path, lay down on the ground, look skyward at those giant beauties and think about all they have seen, heard and experienced in their life time.

Nancy
Old 11-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Quote:
My question tho, not that I am cheap, is why are the camp fees so high for non hook up spots? 27-30 bones in the state run ones.
My theory is that you all paying for all those people who leave their lights on all night long. Nothing to back it up but just my thoughts.

I did stay at one private park one time and each spot had it's own electric meter and you were charged the your usage. I think we had to pay 25 cents - recharging our camera batteries.

The other thing is the clean up crew. A lot of campers are slobs and leave their site and the bathrooms a total disaster.

I love the Michigan State Parks - the bathrooms are done in tile with corian sinks - clean up crew comes in with a pressure washer, starts at the ceiling and washes down with a disinfectant. They always look very presentable.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #23

West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
My theory is that you all paying for all those people who leave their lights on all night long.
Hey, thats on thier dime. (Or solar panel, as the case may be) These are Non Hook up sites. No 'lectikity.

Down here in the smog belt, we pay 12-16 for no hook ups.

How do we do it? VOLUME.

The Fernwood Resort does not list thier prices and I didn't get a chance to call today. THEY have hook ups.

I am not sure about looking up at the trees this time of year. Drowning could be a problem
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #24

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Planning and Wandering is an Oxymoron.
Well, I can plan to wander if want and leave the oxy at home too. I don't have a moron around here so that's not a concern.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 PM   #25

West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
I don't have a moron around here so that's not a concern.

Just kidding!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #26

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Gina-

So glad to hear you are going to try it again this year. Hope the weather is better than last year for your sake and ours.

Jedediah Smith is a very nice place. Lots of trees, trails and good place to camp, we like it. You mentioned you could always go back to Cresent City KOA. Don't know anything about the KOA, but know there are a few trailer park type camping places in Crescent City right off the beach if you got in a pinch. We have stayed at those a few times with our Burro when we just ran up to CC for weekend shopping at Wal-mart. Only draw back, you can hear the Harbor Seals barking all night. BTW, did you hear CC has a tidal wave yesterday. It is all the talk around here. It was a very small one, waves about 6 feet higher than usual, but it did do some damage to their docks.

Elk Prarie is really Prarie Creek Camp Ground, also a nice place to camp. You know the Elk usually stay up top around the viewing area and in the grassy area and there is camping down in the trees away from the Elk.

There is also Patricks Point near Trinidad. Don't know if these are open during winter but there is camping at Dry Lagoon, Stone Lagoon and Big Lagoon all near Trinidad also. Small campgrounds but nice.

One other place I know about is Harris Beach right out of Brooking Oregon. I know you said your not much of a beach girl and this is near the beach but it does have a nice campground.

If you are coming our way (we live in Eureka) and have time or get in a bind, need a shower, hot cup of coffee or anything please give us a call. PM me with info about when your coming and such and I will give you our phone #. Also when you are going up 101 towards CC you come to a small "hole in the wall" town called Orick. Just before the town of Orick is a stretch of highway that has the ocean on one side and a lagoon on the other side. My dad has a place across the lagoon and he is there a lot of the time. It is private property but if he is there and knows you are coming you are more than welcome to stop by, visit, park the trailer and spend the night. Yes, dogs are welcome and beer on tap most of the time. It would be a nice little secure and safe stop for you if you need one.

Anyway just trying to offer some help if you need it. Hope you have a wonderful trip and like I said if your in our area and need anything give us a call. Happy traveling to you and your babies.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 PM   #27

West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Ellen,

Those are very nice offers! As I recall, your Dad did some nice cabinets in your burro I admired. Maybe I'll stop by for an install? LOL!

As mentioned, at this point, I think I will wander. I like the idea of not having a schedule or agenda. Last year, I had every stop scheduled and booked, it was almost like running.

Been a long time since I have done that wandering thing. Having these recommendations will help a TON!

Knowing what I saw on my last trip, I am not to worried about just showing up somewhere. Every place I stayed both before and after Christmas was deserted. For the most part.

Even the one church camp/park where we were all sent to during the flooding in the area was not even full, and it held everyone in an rv in the region. No other place was usable due to water damage.

Big Sur may be a different story. It's right int bewtween two of the largest cities on the coast and may get bombarded from both sides.

I am torn, I love the north coast, but also want to explore a new area. The coffee offer may just make the decision for me!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #28

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via Yahoo to Renee K.
Hi Gina,
A winter word: WET! The redwoods are lovely on a nice day but at Jedidiah in winter, it is very dismal and dark, even at mid day. If you should find it that way, it is only about 20mi on up to Harris Beach at Brookings. OR State Parks, on the coast, are open all year and have some winter discount. they all have hookups and hot showers which are nicer than most CA state camps.
"I wonder where I wander" All in all, should you wonder about wandering to "Wonder", you would have to be in OREGON! Never say never, It's nice here!
We are planning a move to La Pine in December, and next year that would be a great trip for you right up thru Central OR and go skiing or snow boarding!
So have a great holiday trip!

Renee, Elsie, and Jetta