Urgent need of help planning road trip ...later this week - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Urgent need of help planning road trip ...later this week

Ok, so why is this an urgency? Well, I'm just an ordinary guy trying to figure out where to go for the first vacation I've had in a long time. I've got 5-days off beginning this thursday and I want to do a scenic road trip in my recently acquired 16 ft small camper pulled by my dependable but older ford truck. Because I love camping and fishing, I will bring an assortment of fishing poles and tackle as well as my kayak.
What I now fear is awakening thursday morning still undecided about my destinations and poss squandering the 5 days peddling around the house so I'm seeking advice here that can help me choose a destination with interesting places to stay along my route which will begin leaving from Savannah and go anywhere memorable that I can camp and maybe get in some good kayak fishing. My only definite is that I want to get out of Georgia as I've spent enough years camping and exploring here. Other than that I'm open to traveling north, south or westward.
Any ideas?
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
Lake Jocassee in SC. head up along lake Hartwell. jhust my 2 centavos.
steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #3

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Very nice Corps of Engineers campground just east of Montgomery, AL, about 300 miles west of you - nice write-up here:
Gunter Hill / U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Montgomery, AL) - reviews, camping photos, videos, special price , interative map & directions
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't know if this will work in GA or not. Here in OR there's been many a time when I'll get to the end of the driveway and ask which way would you to go. My partner (wife) will pick a direction and off we go. Have no idea of where we're going to end up. Sometimes we've driven 200 to 300 miles before we settle, sometime it's closer to 50 miles. We've seen some very nice places that way that we wouldn't have if we planned it all out.
In fact we have a 4 month planned for this winter, not sure what day we'll leave, it depends on the weather. Have no idea where we'll sleep for a least the first two nights. I expect we'll land someplace for 3rd+ nights.
A lot of the fun is in the adventure of the travel. I've quit worrying about where we'll stop for the night knowing I can always find someplace to stop and grab a few hours sleep.
Good luck and if you have figured out where you want to go, go anyway. The chances are you'll find someplace you'll like better than what you planned.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:18 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good responce Byron, I've parked a few nights behind a gas station for a few winks, it happens .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Urgent need of help planning road trip ...later this week

Western NC (the area south of the Great Smoky Mountain NP is relatively quiet, and beautiful in general. Lake Fontana is a great place to kayak/fish, is several miles long and the banks are not lined with houses and camps. And it is near the southern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't think of a better place within a relatively short drive from Savannah. Or if you prefer salt water, the Outer Banks.....
Just don't come south. Too damn hot this time of year!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The fall leaves will be in bloom all along the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge areas...
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
We are coming North, kind of in your direction, this weekend for couple of nights in a GA State Park. This is how I pick trip destinations; first I see how many days I have and how far I want to drive each day (no more than 4 hours usually, however far that takes me). I draw an imaginary arc on the map in the general direction I want to go. This encompasses the area I want to stay at each night (or two, or three nights), and then an internet search gives me possible locations and I pick one that looks interesting. From that spot I pick the next one using the same procedure, eventually turning around and heading back in sort of a circle so as not to travel over the same roads/areas/scenery. I would say, go North while you can still can, and South later this Fall, Winter.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Seminole Lake, a beautiful Corps of Engineers park on the Georgia/Florida border.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #10

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Come visit over 75 fiberglassers at Happy holiday Campground in Cherokee NC. Next week is the rally there...folks will start arriving Tuesday or Wed. We would love yo meet you.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #11

Georgia
thanks for all your great suggestions. Some of these places, I've either driven by or through sometime in the past. I love the idea about free-lancing it; used to do that decades ago before I got married; now solo traveler since divorced a few years and kids are grown and gone. I still havent decided but am thinking about either heading north bound. Will do some internet time tonight on suggestions.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
Come visit over 75 fiberglassers at Happy holiday Campground in Cherokee NC. Next week is the rally there...folks will start arriving Tuesday or Wed. We would love yo meet you.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Is it too late to register for this? As my vacation ends Tuesday I could poss still make it there for the next weekend if campout still going then.