Using Tent-only Sites? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
heck of a site, Byron....

I went checking a spot I used last week....and I FOUND it !!!! call me impressed!!!....and sort of accurate... the place could accomodate 3-4 smallish trailers...and same number of tents....then there's the beach of course as long as somebody doesn't mind sleeping on a slope....."services"?...one outhouse. It filled up when I was there mid-week....will be deserted after Labour Day I'm sure
Attached Thumbnails
gg.jpg   ggff.jpg  

ggi.jpg   ggii.jpg  

ggh.jpg   ggk.jpg  

ggkk.jpg   ggm.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

We are heading to CO in a month for camping, made reservations the first day they were available at 4AM and half the sites were already booked......
National Forest Camp site reservations can be made 6 months in advance of the day of arrival so sites can be reserved before the date you are looking for.

I find people are now making their reservation for 14 days before their departure. Waiting the required period (1 month I think) and then cancelling the days they don't want. There is a fee to change your reservation so it cost a little more.

Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Even though you have a small trailer, often "tent only" sites have a very short parking area. You may not be able to park both the tug and tow at the site.
That has been our experience , barely enough room to park our trailer and having to park our vehicle 2 or 3 blocks away and out of sight was a PITA !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have never seen tenters and RVers get out of sorts with each other. I think someone jumped to a conclusion from one isolated incident.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #19

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I suggest looking at Harvest Hosts at www.harvesthosts.com, a club with a nominal fee, whereby people with self-contained RVs can park and camp overnight on the private properties of wineries, farms and other special places for FREE (They do ask that you purchase some item from their stores, which we gladly do.) Just a quick glance at their Colorado map shows at least 10 HH sites!

This is now our favorite way of camping as reservations do not need to be made well ahead of time, there are usually no other campers, the places are unique and the owners are very friendly!
I LOVE this idea and can't wait to look into it! Thanks for sharing!

As fellow Colorado campers, I know what you are talking about with sites filling up so fast. I always know where we want to go and make reservations the minute they open. One place we've gone to a couple of times, on a Thursday night, not Friday, is Colorado Campground, west on Hwy 24, in Teller County. Half the campground is first come first served and it is BEAUTIFUL. We've not had a problem getting in there. A Friday night might be different, though.

I think you have to be really careful in tent ONLY sites, as they are often inaccessible to trailers. Like Jon said, walk in and carry your stuff. I'm also a huge rule follower, so if it says tent only, I can't even entertain the idea of using it for a camper But that's just me
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
I ran into a situation in a PA state park a few years ago. I reserved a tent site months in advance after looking at it on line and Google Earth - it suited my wants perfectly - I did not need hookups but wanted waterfront. ALL the other sites on the water were taken and no RV sites. I was driving a 17' Chevy Van (short wheelbase regular vehicle size) that was a Roadtrek conversion van. This was being used as a normal vehicle but the park management gave all kinds of trouble getting in on a full book holiday weekend. There were NO sites anywhere nearby and this was pre-paid months ago. They advised the tent side of the campground was for tents only - no matter what. This meant I could not camp there. After much discussion with the head ranger I was finally allowed to camp on the site I had paid for BUT I could not sleep in the van. They advised they would be checking on this to make sure. I had a tent of course and advised the staff I would be setting up the tent, overhead tarp, etc... but this made no difference. They AND the ranger bluntly said tents and RV's are segregated at this state park because tents and RV's DO NOT GET ALONG and it will cause PROBLEMS! This is their hard and fast rule. I have never heard of such a thing before or since. The site was a drive in site with plenty of room and no issues. I did walk around the campground and was floored when I saw several (20 or more) TENTS camping on RV sites on the RV side of the park intermingling with NO problems as well as another HUGE class A RV in the tent area. Obviously the staff we interacted with and the head ranger LIED to us for some unknown reason til this day. I have a bitter taste for this til this day. When I think about it today it still boils my blood and should call the park superiors to check in on the situation and call for a formal apology.
We went to Alaska in 2008 and went to Denali National Park. They have campsites for RV's 35 feet and longer. We are only 23 feet. We asked to use one of them and was told no. We went to the head ranger station and they said sure use one We went back to where you get your site and was told no again. I told them to call the ranger and got a site. The idea is for short RV's to use short sites until they are full then use the longer sites. I told them it was stupid to not allow short RV's to use the long sites and let them sit empty. The ranger agreed with me. So sometimes you have to talk to more than one person. We had reservations at 8:00AM the next morning for a bus trip and there were no campsites for 75 miles so I was willing to fight for a site.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like poorly written rules and/or poorly trained employees.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post

<<SNIP>>

We had reservations at 8:00AM the next morning for a bus trip and there were no campsites for 75 miles so I was willing to fight for a site.
FWIW, I took a camping trip to AK in 2014. While Denali NP was full and booked months in advance, I found plenty of camping at Denali State Park, a short distance down the road. Yes, the camping was basic, more of a parking lot/rest area. But it was cheap, I had the same view of the same mountain, and it was available when I really needed it! No hookups, really didn't need them as AK weather in the summer is mild.

I believe I camped at Denali View North, not sure.

+1 To below: May not have existed in 2008.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:31 PM   #23

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
FWIW, I took a camping trip to AK in 2014. While Denali NP was full and booked months in advance, I found plenty of camping at Denali State Park, a short distance down the road. Yes, the camping was basic, more of a parking lot/rest area. But it was cheap, I had the same view of the same mountain, and it was available when I really needed it! No hookups, really didn't need them as AK weather in the summer is mild.

I believe I camped at Denali View North, not sure.
I don't think that campground was there in 2008. Places come and go faster in Alaska than any place I've ever seen. We went again in 2015 and almost didn't recognize a lot of places and many were closed.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #24

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
I ran into a situation in a PA state park a few years ago. I reserved a tent site months in advance after looking at it on line and Google Earth - it suited my wants perfectly - I did not need hookups but wanted waterfront. ALL the other sites on the water were taken and no RV sites. I was driving a 17' Chevy Van (short wheelbase regular vehicle size) that was a Roadtrek conversion van. This was being used as a normal vehicle but the park management gave all kinds of trouble getting in on a full book holiday weekend. There were NO sites anywhere nearby and this was pre-paid months ago. They advised the tent side of the campground was for tents only - no matter what. This meant I could not camp there. After much discussion with the head ranger I was finally allowed to camp on the site I had paid for BUT I could not sleep in the van. They advised they would be checking on this to make sure. I had a tent of course and advised the staff I would be setting up the tent, overhead tarp, etc... but this made no difference. They AND the ranger bluntly said tents and RV's are segregated at this state park because tents and RV's DO NOT GET ALONG and it will cause PROBLEMS! This is their hard and fast rule. I have never heard of such a thing before or since. The site was a drive in site with plenty of room and no issues. I did walk around the campground and was floored when I saw several (20 or more) TENTS camping on RV sites on the RV side of the park intermingling with NO problems as well as another HUGE class A RV in the tent area. Obviously the staff we interacted with and the head ranger LIED to us for some unknown reason til this day. I have a bitter taste for this til this day. When I think about it today it still boils my blood and should call the park superiors to check in on the situation and call for a formal apology.
I would love to know which PA campground you had this trouble in as we travel PA often to visit family.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #25

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Locust Lake State Park PA - site 274