Using Tent-only Sites? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like poorly written rules and/or poorly trained employees.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post

<<SNIP>>

We had reservations at 8:00AM the next morning for a bus trip and there were no campsites for 75 miles so I was willing to fight for a site.
FWIW, I took a camping trip to AK in 2014. While Denali NP was full and booked months in advance, I found plenty of camping at Denali State Park, a short distance down the road. Yes, the camping was basic, more of a parking lot/rest area. But it was cheap, I had the same view of the same mountain, and it was available when I really needed it! No hookups, really didn't need them as AK weather in the summer is mild.

I believe I camped at Denali View North, not sure.

+1 To below: May not have existed in 2008.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #23

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
FWIW, I took a camping trip to AK in 2014. While Denali NP was full and booked months in advance, I found plenty of camping at Denali State Park, a short distance down the road. Yes, the camping was basic, more of a parking lot/rest area. But it was cheap, I had the same view of the same mountain, and it was available when I really needed it! No hookups, really didn't need them as AK weather in the summer is mild.

I believe I camped at Denali View North, not sure.
I don't think that campground was there in 2008. Places come and go faster in Alaska than any place I've ever seen. We went again in 2015 and almost didn't recognize a lot of places and many were closed.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #24

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
I ran into a situation in a PA state park a few years ago. I reserved a tent site months in advance after looking at it on line and Google Earth - it suited my wants perfectly - I did not need hookups but wanted waterfront. ALL the other sites on the water were taken and no RV sites. I was driving a 17' Chevy Van (short wheelbase regular vehicle size) that was a Roadtrek conversion van. This was being used as a normal vehicle but the park management gave all kinds of trouble getting in on a full book holiday weekend. There were NO sites anywhere nearby and this was pre-paid months ago. They advised the tent side of the campground was for tents only - no matter what. This meant I could not camp there. After much discussion with the head ranger I was finally allowed to camp on the site I had paid for BUT I could not sleep in the van. They advised they would be checking on this to make sure. I had a tent of course and advised the staff I would be setting up the tent, overhead tarp, etc... but this made no difference. They AND the ranger bluntly said tents and RV's are segregated at this state park because tents and RV's DO NOT GET ALONG and it will cause PROBLEMS! This is their hard and fast rule. I have never heard of such a thing before or since. The site was a drive in site with plenty of room and no issues. I did walk around the campground and was floored when I saw several (20 or more) TENTS camping on RV sites on the RV side of the park intermingling with NO problems as well as another HUGE class A RV in the tent area. Obviously the staff we interacted with and the head ranger LIED to us for some unknown reason til this day. I have a bitter taste for this til this day. When I think about it today it still boils my blood and should call the park superiors to check in on the situation and call for a formal apology.
I would love to know which PA campground you had this trouble in as we travel PA often to visit family.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #25

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Locust Lake State Park PA - site 274