Using Tent-only Sites? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Using Tent-only Sites?

Hi. I'm still fairly new to Colorado, and trailering in general. I've discovered that spontaneous weekend camping here is challenging. It seems that most spots in the parks and forests are reserved WELL ahead of time. My next door neighbor just camped in a spot he reserved last January.

Usually the spots that are still available are "tent only." My Scamp is only a 13-footer. Has anyone tried to use the tent only sites at hosted campgrounds? Would I get kicked out?

Jennifer in Denver
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Some "tent-only" sites are definitely not for trailers because you park your car and carry your camping gear into a field, down a trail, or (in the case of Ridgeway SP in CO) across a footbridge.

Some systems differentiate between "tent" sites (meaning primitive, no hook-ups) and "tent-only" (only accessible to tent campers). Designations and rules vary, so your best bet is to contact the campground directly.

Sadly, spontaneous camping weekends are becoming harder and harder to pull off. Here in Arizona, dispersed camping in National Forests is the best last-minute option on a summer weekend. Setting up your trailer for boondocking definitely opens up more camping spots.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Even though you have a small trailer, often "tent only" sites have a very short parking area. You may not be able to park both the tug and tow at the site.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Here a website I use that has great information about all camp sites.
US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map

Check it out.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There are tent sites (no hookups, fine with a small trailer) and tent only sites (not fine with a small trailer).

Many tent only sites I have seen were walk in sites where you parked in a lot, then walked to a spot with your tent to set up camp. No way a trailer would work.

Popular parks have gotten really busy. You have to learn the reservation game (when do they come available), plan way ahead and POUNCE! We are heading to CO in a month for camping, made reservations the first day they were available at 4AM and half the sites were already booked......

We did a lot of primitive camping at Forest Service campgrounds. Go where no one else is going....
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #6

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I ran into a situation in a PA state park a few years ago. I reserved a tent site months in advance after looking at it on line and Google Earth - it suited my wants perfectly - I did not need hookups but wanted waterfront. ALL the other sites on the water were taken and no RV sites. I was driving a 17' Chevy Van (short wheelbase regular vehicle size) that was a Roadtrek conversion van. This was being used as a normal vehicle but the park management gave all kinds of trouble getting in on a full book holiday weekend. There were NO sites anywhere nearby and this was pre-paid months ago. They advised the tent side of the campground was for tents only - no matter what. This meant I could not camp there. After much discussion with the head ranger I was finally allowed to camp on the site I had paid for BUT I could not sleep in the van. They advised they would be checking on this to make sure. I had a tent of course and advised the staff I would be setting up the tent, overhead tarp, etc... but this made no difference. They AND the ranger bluntly said tents and RV's are segregated at this state park because tents and RV's DO NOT GET ALONG and it will cause PROBLEMS! This is their hard and fast rule. I have never heard of such a thing before or since. The site was a drive in site with plenty of room and no issues. I did walk around the campground and was floored when I saw several (20 or more) TENTS camping on RV sites on the RV side of the park intermingling with NO problems as well as another HUGE class A RV in the tent area. Obviously the staff we interacted with and the head ranger LIED to us for some unknown reason til this day. I have a bitter taste for this til this day. When I think about it today it still boils my blood and should call the park superiors to check in on the situation and call for a formal apology.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Jennifer, camping on weekends can be a real problem near Denver. I gave up campgrounds because they are too noisy, too busy, and impossible in the summer. How do you find places? Well, check out the boondocker sites like ultimatecampgrounds.com and freecampsites.net. Almost every national forest access road has sites, you can spot them by the tracks and the fire rings. Also, I've found great places looking through the 300 State Wildlife Areas that are usually only visited during hunting season. Don't feel comfortable camping by yourself? Check out Meetup.com which has camping and RV groups. I lead campouts for one called Denver Trail Heads myself. Thirty five or so of us are headed up to see the meteor shower this weekend and you're welcome to join us.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I see real small campers at tent only spots on occasion, I'd ask at check in and not just camp on one and hope for the best.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Using Tent-only Sites?

The salient point in all this is rules and enforcement are all over the map when it comes to small RVs using sites designated for tents. You have to ask and/or observe local practices.

When planning a visit from a distance, you cannot count on being allowed to use a site designated for tents, so all you can do is ask. You may find after you get there that actual practices are different from the "official" answer you got on the phone. That's life in the real world.

Some reservation systems now include pictures of each site. That can help you decide whether it's even possible to fit a small trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
In Washington, the reservation system offers pictures, but moreover specifically makes you search with a filter so you know if the site is suitable for your equipment. There are seven categories in the equipment filter including 1 to 3 tents, van/campers, and trailers of three different length brackets.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here a website I use that has great information about all camp sites.
US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS - FORMAL AND DISPERSED PUBLIC CAMPING LOCATIONS - Website Map

Check it out.
Byron, thanks for the link. Looks great!

Mark
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #12

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I suggest looking at Harvest Hosts at www.harvesthosts.com, a club with a nominal fee, whereby people with self-contained RVs can park and camp overnight on the private properties of wineries, farms and other special places for FREE (They do ask that you purchase some item from their stores, which we gladly do.) Just a quick glance at their Colorado map shows at least 10 HH sites!

This is now our favorite way of camping as reservations do not need to be made well ahead of time, there are usually no other campers, the places are unique and the owners are very friendly!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #13

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Camping

There are BLM camping areas West of Colorado Springs that are first come first served. You haul everything you need in and haul all your waste out. You clean up your site before you leave.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
A photo of a trailer and a tent getting along fine

"...tents and RV's DO NOT GET ALONG and it will cause PROBLEMS!"

Wow, that totally sucks!

It reminds me of a song from Oklahoma!

"Oh, the farmer and the cowman should be friends.
Oh, The farmer and the cowman should be friends.
The farmer likes to push a plow,
The cowman likes to chase a cow,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends!"

Only you should change the words a little bit:

"Oh, the tenters and RVers should be friends!
The tenters and RVers should be friends...
The tenters like to sleep in tents,
RVers all are in-rig gents,
But that's no reason why they cain't be friends!"

They do not get along. Wow. Just wow. I know this country is politically and racially and religiously and ethnically and economically and..and..and you name it, divided, yes siree bob, but RVs and tents cain't get along nowhere, no way, no how?

My best to the universe, SAD that it has come to this!
Just SAD!

BEST
Kai
8)

Photo shows a fiberglass trailer VERY happily snuggled under a self-made "tent" fall of 2015, proving it CAN, yes it CAN be done!
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 043.jpg  
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #15

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
heck of a site, Byron....

I went checking a spot I used last week....and I FOUND it !!!! call me impressed!!!....and sort of accurate... the place could accomodate 3-4 smallish trailers...and same number of tents....then there's the beach of course as long as somebody doesn't mind sleeping on a slope....."services"?...one outhouse. It filled up when I was there mid-week....will be deserted after Labour Day I'm sure
Attached Thumbnails
gg.jpg   ggff.jpg  

ggi.jpg   ggii.jpg  

ggh.jpg   ggk.jpg  

ggkk.jpg   ggm.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post

We are heading to CO in a month for camping, made reservations the first day they were available at 4AM and half the sites were already booked......
National Forest Camp site reservations can be made 6 months in advance of the day of arrival so sites can be reserved before the date you are looking for.

I find people are now making their reservation for 14 days before their departure. Waiting the required period (1 month I think) and then cancelling the days they don't want. There is a fee to change your reservation so it cost a little more.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Even though you have a small trailer, often "tent only" sites have a very short parking area. You may not be able to park both the tug and tow at the site.
That has been our experience , barely enough room to park our trailer and having to park our vehicle 2 or 3 blocks away and out of sight was a PITA !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have never seen tenters and RVers get out of sorts with each other. I think someone jumped to a conclusion from one isolated incident.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #19

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I suggest looking at Harvest Hosts at www.harvesthosts.com, a club with a nominal fee, whereby people with self-contained RVs can park and camp overnight on the private properties of wineries, farms and other special places for FREE (They do ask that you purchase some item from their stores, which we gladly do.) Just a quick glance at their Colorado map shows at least 10 HH sites!

This is now our favorite way of camping as reservations do not need to be made well ahead of time, there are usually no other campers, the places are unique and the owners are very friendly!
I LOVE this idea and can't wait to look into it! Thanks for sharing!

As fellow Colorado campers, I know what you are talking about with sites filling up so fast. I always know where we want to go and make reservations the minute they open. One place we've gone to a couple of times, on a Thursday night, not Friday, is Colorado Campground, west on Hwy 24, in Teller County. Half the campground is first come first served and it is BEAUTIFUL. We've not had a problem getting in there. A Friday night might be different, though.

I think you have to be really careful in tent ONLY sites, as they are often inaccessible to trailers. Like Jon said, walk in and carry your stuff. I'm also a huge rule follower, so if it says tent only, I can't even entertain the idea of using it for a camper But that's just me
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
I ran into a situation in a PA state park a few years ago. I reserved a tent site months in advance after looking at it on line and Google Earth - it suited my wants perfectly - I did not need hookups but wanted waterfront. ALL the other sites on the water were taken and no RV sites. I was driving a 17' Chevy Van (short wheelbase regular vehicle size) that was a Roadtrek conversion van. This was being used as a normal vehicle but the park management gave all kinds of trouble getting in on a full book holiday weekend. There were NO sites anywhere nearby and this was pre-paid months ago. They advised the tent side of the campground was for tents only - no matter what. This meant I could not camp there. After much discussion with the head ranger I was finally allowed to camp on the site I had paid for BUT I could not sleep in the van. They advised they would be checking on this to make sure. I had a tent of course and advised the staff I would be setting up the tent, overhead tarp, etc... but this made no difference. They AND the ranger bluntly said tents and RV's are segregated at this state park because tents and RV's DO NOT GET ALONG and it will cause PROBLEMS! This is their hard and fast rule. I have never heard of such a thing before or since. The site was a drive in site with plenty of room and no issues. I did walk around the campground and was floored when I saw several (20 or more) TENTS camping on RV sites on the RV side of the park intermingling with NO problems as well as another HUGE class A RV in the tent area. Obviously the staff we interacted with and the head ranger LIED to us for some unknown reason til this day. I have a bitter taste for this til this day. When I think about it today it still boils my blood and should call the park superiors to check in on the situation and call for a formal apology.
We went to Alaska in 2008 and went to Denali National Park. They have campsites for RV's 35 feet and longer. We are only 23 feet. We asked to use one of them and was told no. We went to the head ranger station and they said sure use one We went back to where you get your site and was told no again. I told them to call the ranger and got a site. The idea is for short RV's to use short sites until they are full then use the longer sites. I told them it was stupid to not allow short RV's to use the long sites and let them sit empty. The ranger agreed with me. So sometimes you have to talk to more than one person. We had reservations at 8:00AM the next morning for a bus trip and there were no campsites for 75 miles so I was willing to fight for a site.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote