Vancouver Island camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm hoping some Islanders can point me in the right direction. We've got a week Sept. 28 - Oct. 4 and would like to get at least one more trip in.

We would rather dry camp than be packed like Airstreams in a full-service site. We don't need a spa or golf course. I like to fish, but it isn't critical. What is critical is keeping the Old Bag happy and she likes crafts, quilting and needlework, antiques, shopping, shopping and shopping ( but not actually buying anything ). A latte and a crossword will keep me happy in the meantime.

If I can come up with the right itinerary, I won't have to visit my in-laws, so I'd like to avoid Duncan, if I can. I did offer to camp along the Cowichan River and invite the inlaws over for a BBQ, but that wasn't met with appreciation for the gesture.

Is there a cupboard on this site where people have placed their best camping experiences? Where to go and what to do?

bags
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Umm, yep. It's called Camping, Campout Reports. Thanks for asking!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Umm, yep. It's called Camping, Campout Reports. Thanks for asking!
Thanks, but, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I could spend a week going through all the posts and not find any reference to Vancouver Island spots. The problem is that the subject line often doesn't tell you much, if anything, and the secondary subject line is often blank. ie. "Camping" .... "Good trip".

I tried to search "Vancouver Island" and ended up with a report on some campground in CA.

I think we'll just go.

bags
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would suggest Nanimo at the "Living forest RV Park". Its a good clean park with all the frills. Not too costly.
http://www.campingbc.com/
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, but, I don't seem to be getting anywhere. I could spend a week going through all the posts and not find any reference to Vancouver Island spots. The problem is that the subject line often doesn't tell you much, if anything, and the secondary subject line is often blank. ie. "Camping" .... "Good trip".

I tried to search "Vancouver Island" and ended up with a report on some campground in CA.

I think we'll just go.

bags
You might try Google to get the names of some spots, then come back here and search to see if anybody's reported???

Just an idea.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
You might try Google to get the names of some spots, then come back here and search to see if anybody's reported???

Just an idea.
I crawled though the entire site and managed to find a couple of useful tips. We've spent a lot of time on Vancouver Island, even owned a recreational lot near Bowser where my buddy lives. In-laws in Duncan, brother in Victoria, but I didn't want to see the goats on the roof again, so I was hoping for a brilliant idea.

A couple suggestions near Victoria look promising and I'm going to explore those. You can't go wrong with a campsite near Victoria. Got to keep in mind that it could be rather cold and pouring rain.

If nothing else, my buddy says I can camp in his front yard. View from the living room is Denman Island and if you turn around, the view is Deep Bay. He has waterfront on both sides, with no obstructions.

bags
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Glen ...care to $ t r e t c h you leg$ and git offa the rock?

There are any number of cool provincial campground$ in the$e part$ and with $eason winding down there are AMPLE vacancy$!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Glen ...care to $ t r e t c h you leg$ and git offa the rock?

There are any number of cool provincial campground$ in the$e part$ and with $eason winding down there are AMPLE vacancy$!!!
Have to visit my buddy at Deep Bay, the guy with 360 degree waterfront. We'll stay a couple days and then I think head south to Westbay Marine Village and RV. Sounds perfect. View, services, take a water taxi to downtown to visit the shops and pubs. I can live with that.

Problem with camping around the lower mainland is I might as well stay home. We have a large lot, a house not much bigger than the Toad and a very private lot. All services and a bar fridge.

bags
Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Dunno if it's still in print, but I have a book called "Camp Free in BC" (Volume I) by Kathy and Craig Copeland, Voice in the Wilderness Press. Might have changed the title because the park system changed the pass system.

I coupled that with the Backroads Mapbook for VI and had a lot of information.

One place I liked was Kitty Coleman Beach Park (Provincial) on the strait north of Courtenay.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Guess I am a little partial, but Port Hardy is a great place to stay. Alert Bay is incredible to see as well as Sointula via the ferry from Port McNeill. A must see is San Jose Bay not far from Holberg. Its about an hour hike if I can remember which they say is wheelchair accessible. There is nothing more exciting than to see the rugged west coast of Vancouver Island. There are water taxi's here that will take you out to Cape Scott at the tip of the island, save you an 8hr. brutal hike in. Some of the tourist activities are over by then ie: Museum in Alert Bay. A good idea might be to visit the carving shop in the basement of the old residential school in Alert Bay. A glimpse of First Nations carvers first hand.

For your wife ---- the woman who caretakes with her husband at Sunny Sanctuary Campground does a lot of quilting as well as teaching. The ecclectic shop above Guido's Coffee Shop (yes they make latte's) has the most incredible crafts from mostly locals. Talk to the owner and I am sure that she would help in connecting your wife with the crafters of the North Island.

Drop your crab pot for a nice supper on the bbq. Unfortunately there aren't large malls for shopping, but between Port Hardy and Port McNeill you might find what you need or want. It's black bear season so bring your camera.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Glenn,

We generally only do Provincial Parks. I can recommend Englishman River (outside Parksville), Miracle Beach (1/2 way between Courtenay and Campbell Ditch) and Rafttrevor Beach in Parksville. They were all pretty fun with the kids.

However, if you don't mind being a little way out of Campbell Ditch (I mean River) then I highly recommend Ralph River campground. The campsite is on Buttle lake and you are surronded by giant Spruce trees. Our kids found it boring but my wife and I loved it. Quietest campground I have ever been in.

Strathcona Provincial Park

When I was tree planting we used to camp in some really neat spots. However many of the forestry roads are being shut down by WFP and Timberwest so it's harder to get access to those spots.

We haven't done any camping on the Island south of Parksville yet but we have heard that Cowichan River and Cowichan Lake Provincial parks were both very nice in the fall.

I camped at a campground in Port Hardy called Quatse River campground and (though I don't fish) I spent a lot of time at the river as it was amazingly rich in wildlife.

Anyways thats my two bits.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Hey Booker, what about Sproat Lake?
cheers
Ian

Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
The Sproat Lake campground is kind of odd.

The highway to the west coast splits it in two. The lakeside camping spots are very small and very busy. The campsite spots on the other side of the highway are quite large and generally private. The kids liked that camp site quite a bit. Sproat Lake itself is pretty noisy with speed boats and jet skis. However, the lake is really warm and it is HOT in Port Alberni. It's supposed to be 31 C today in Port Alberni.

When we were there last year both of the Martin Mars Water Bombers were in the water so we paddled out to them and that was a thrill. I think one is still in California right now.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
We are off to Miracle Beach or Rathtrevor tomorrow for our first attempt at camping in the Boler. Pretty excited to read the post about Alert Bay though...hopefully we can get there in the next few weeks! It sounds fantastic!
sarah j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Last year I stayed at Mc Donald PP just on the edge of Sidney not far from the ferry depot at the end of highway 17.

Sydney is a cute little town and has stores that would proabably interest your wife.

I'd consider this location as a destination for a couple of days just before catching one of several ferries back to the mainland or US.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Lander
Send a message via MSN to Riccardo
Wonderfull!
I went there 8 years ago!
It was the perfect holiday, and I remeber this camping very well!
Congratulation, you live in the best place of the world!
Riccardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If you want something near Victoria for part of your stay, we have stayed at Fort victoria several times. The past couple of times we have tent camped there and bicycled into town along the Galloping Goose rail/trail. It is clean and not too crowded, The rates were not unreasonable.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote