We want to Scamp rt 66 this Spring - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I live in the neighborhood of Route 66, around Tulsa. I don't get too excited about it. But then, I enjoy majestic natural scenery far more than old signs and buildings.

For those who enjoy the latter, Route 66 is probably a rewarding journey. Some Oklahoma pointers:
Try to stop for dinner at Clanton's Diner in Vinita, and order the calf fries.
Near Chelsea and Foyil, detour a half dozen miles to see the "world's largest totem".
At Catoosa, see the big blue whale along the highway. You can go inside it, too.
At Arcadia, stop at POPS and see the most amazing collection of soft drink brands under one roof. Buy a few bottles of stuff you've never heard of before.
If convenient, camp in Red Rock Canyon State Park. The CG is down in the canyon, with red walls all around.
A worthwhile detour off 66 at this point would be a 70 mile drive south so you can drive to the summit of Mount Scott; the views are really great and you can tow the egg up there easily enough. Nearby Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge may be of interest also.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Re- Rte. 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Also, there is a Route 66 magazine available, and I think you can still get back issues. The General Store in Hackberry sometimes has back issues. And the Powerhouse Museum in Kingman has books, maps, and lots to see. But that would be at the end of your trip (beginning of mine ) so order maps on line. Also, there is a lesser known part of old 66 West of Kingman over Sitgreaves Pass ( careful !) to Oatman. And an almost unknown section south from Oatman ( Home of the Wild Burros) to Topock and I-40 near Needles. Lots of tourist traps, but lots of real fun ! David in Sonora (today) and Fresno, CA.
Thanks for the extra info, I did some of it 2009 then some more with my wife and sister in law finally in the old Studebaker TRuck doing most of it but if one really wants to see the country u should plan on at least a month going to the end or 6 weeks going and less coming home as u now know that part unless u missed some of it along the way?Williams Is a gas they put on all kinds of stuff like the Gunfight at 7PM on main street, or the gunfight down at the train station. If you take the train they fob the train if you don't give at least $3 or more dollars they take u off the train and make you ride a horse to their hideout, who knows what happens out there??
They also do a real life Polar Express November and December and it is real cold most nights, but is great for the kids and parents. Then drive from Williams to Seligeman and on down to Kingman, on the way there are the tunnels to visit and a trip out onto the Sky walk but remember this it is Indian Land and you have to pay them a small amount to stand 4000' above the Colorado River and your actually looking down through the glass almost like your going to fall through, it's a gas, u cannot take pictures of this they have their own Photographer or they did in 2009 pictures are reasonably priced.
Yes the Museum at Kingman is good and there are several along the route and they are all pretty good but find out their times of operation or you will miss out.
The round about from Williams to the Grand Canyon is good but if hot out pack water as there is not where to get water when doing the tour. We found we needed 4 bottles each. There is a Campground at the GC but book in advance that way you will get a spot, then there are some private Camp Grounds just out of the park and watch out for the Crazy Elk they sometimes get a bit to friendly. you can buy Helicopter trips, Plane trips into the Canyon and that way you get to see both sides, there are raft trips down the canyon to.
If using film make sure you got lots and lots of Battery juice, if Digital have several big cards to put them on. We always took 4 days for the Grand Canyon including the day in then a day to drive down to Flagstaff and see all of that possibly a 2nd day. Then we drove east to the Crater, if windy they will not let u out on the paths as the wind really whistles out there, something to imagine a rock hitting the earth and doing that big hole, sure glad My house was not sitting there.
New Mexico was a great visit to especially Santa Fe and north. We still have to start in CHicago.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #23

British Columbia
Rest stops and Truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
One thing you should be careful of: One night we stayed in a Walmart parking lot, among the truckers. Not understanding the situation, we are relative newbies, we parked near a refrigeration truck, which had a gas generator continuously running. Fortunately the trucker understood and actually started his rig and backed up so the exhaust pipe, located about half way down the trailer, did not blow directly into our window. I did not realize what was going on until the next day when we went to breakfast at a restaurant, and it hit me. The trucker saved our lives. We would have been killed by carbon monoxide being vented directly into our open bedroom window.

If you stay at a Walmart, a Truck stop, rest stop, or anyplace where truckers or large RV's run their generators or motors for the night, please be very aware and try to park as far away from them as possible.
: seems the truckers rule these places and it is hard for you to get away from them and they are noisy also having a roof vent with a fan blowing out will make sure your being vented somewhat. But if your first make sure the truckers exhaust is not going into your windows most of these guys are decent but there is always a chance they will not be as they figure these places were put there just for them. A truck stop is basically a Truck Stop with restaurant, showers, store for them, food, book and Videos for them so if you go there try and find a spot on the outside of their parking area. U can get in on the showers to pretty cheap price if you really need a shower and wash the kids, just get lots of extra towels to put down on the floor so your standing on something clean even though cleaning crews are doing just that but they miss the odd on here and there. Yes your allowed to use the same privileges
a trucker does but remember they pay for these privileges and so do you.
Wall Mart I would not disconnect but it is okay to pull in for a nights sleep but before u do go to the service section and ask if it is okay for you to do that especially if you do not see any others parked there. Some places like Sacramento have regulation stating it is not allowed so that means you have to find a state park or camp ground for the night and a lot of California is like this.
Stude
Old 02-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
One thing you should be careful of: One night we stayed in a Walmart parking lot, among the truckers. Not understanding the situation, we are relative newbies, we parked near a refrigeration truck, which had a gas generator continuously running. Fortunately the trucker understood and actually started his rig and backed up so the exhaust pipe, located about half way down the trailer, did not blow directly into our window. I did not realize what was going on until the next day when we went to breakfast at a restaurant, and it hit me. The trucker saved our lives. We would have been killed by carbon monoxide being vented directly into our open bedroom window.

If you stay at a Walmart, a Truck stop, rest stop, or anyplace where truckers or large RV's run their generators or motors for the night, please be very aware and try to park as far away from them as possible.
:One other thing before I go on when I was in Williams waiting for my train trip ride up and down I like a Dummy spent the night in the campground (brand new) across from the station and oh'boy it was expensive that I Moved over to the Train Station lot as I looked just like someone staying at the hotel and I spent 3 more nights there as I got onto the Polar Express what a night that was lots of fun. Walked into Williams 2 nights etc. weather during day was around 50*F but at night it dropped down to 10*F or colder thankfully I have propane furnace, lots of gas as I had it go for a while then turned truck on to get some sleep but no one bothered me parked there. But they do have quite a few camp grounds there and if you book then u will not have a problem.
The lady who was on our Train car, each car has a different person, hauls her water home from Williams to Seligeman 3 times a week to fill her tanks I asked why not drill she said no use the water table is 17,000' down much cheaper to haul water. She also said the reason for robbing the train was they all split the proceeds from the train money and tips as they were only paid about $3 hourly and anything they made over that was theirs to split.
Stude
Old 02-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #25

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Rt 66

In September 2015 we left Los Angeles heading east on I 40. We dropped off onto Rt 66 after Barstow, three or four times. There was nothing to see and the road was so badly eroded and maintained that we had to get back onto I 40. Rt 66 was also closed to anything but local traffic now and again. Finally we gave up.

However, I expect we will go back out to the LA, and after reading the above entries we will try again.

I really appreciate the good commentary. If I can't be traveling, the next best thing is to peruse this website.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:42 PM   #26

Name: Howard
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Route_66_museums
Howard MP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp