We're headed to the Keys!!! Any recommendations? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
it is fun to look for the tiny deer on Big Pine Key....

There is a small strip mall on the main road on Big Pine Key with a shop that is, I believe, state run, and is a welcome center for the big preserve on the island.

they can tell you the best places to spot the tiny deer.
Also a little Chinese restaurant in the little mall..

And a nice place to eat, especially for key lime pie, is Mrs. Mac's Kitchen in Key Largo.

There are two of them, both on the main drag. that's the beauty of the keys, you can't get lost. there is only one "main" drag and it runs for 100 miles.

There is a Mrs. Mac's on both sides of the road, the one on your left as you head west is the big one.

if you do get to Key West it is fun to watch the sunset and watch all the street performers. I think it is called Mallory Square.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I don't understand the hold back maybe to cover themselves if they foul up on reservations maybe?

we hit grand canyon one time sign said campgrounds full I couldn't believe it those campgrounds are huge so I drove into one. it wasn't even 25% full I told them about it at the campground they didn't seem bothered at all. I never figured it out! I could just imagine the people who would just drive on and not check!

Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis Morley View Post
Best if you can be lucky enough to get a spot in one of the state parks. Bahia Honda, Long Key, or Curry Hammock. Sometimes you can luck our by stopping in because they often hold back a coiple of places...which can't be reserved but will take a walk in..Good Luck..enjoy. Also a nice park/ beach. is at the end of Sombrero Rd. In Marathon..between Publix and Winn Dixie shopping center. Jan
Long Key - closed
Sombrero Beach - closed (Cocoplum beach is open though)
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #18

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Florida Keys

Just a few suggestions: snorkeling at Pennekamp is great. I also love Bia Honda Key State Park (just watch out for the rats that inhabit the Coconut trees). The last few years, I have been staying at the Big Pine Fishing campground (just be sure to check out the Key Deer on No Name Key and the great little bar named after it. Also, the sunset on Key West is not to be missed as is Sloppy Joe's bar. I just think that 3 days for the Keys is not long enough...George from North of the border
Old 11-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #19

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
I lived in the Keys for 20-something years and highly recommend you pay a visit to the FL Keys Wild Bird Rehab Center while you're down there. Address is
93600 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070-2815
+1 305-852-4486
The sanctuary cares for injured, orphaned and rescue birds. The wild bird sancturay is a natural habitat including birds of prey, tropical and sea birds among many other varieties. The Center is an oasis for so many beautiful wild birds, owls as well as parrots. They also have a little walkway behind the bird oasis with beautiful grounds and views showcasing the scenic waters, mangroves, and more birds and ducks walking about. It doesn't cost anything to visit the rehabilitation center, but you can donate in the little donation box up at the front. This is a great stop for all ages.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticksfl View Post
I lived in the Keys for 20-something years and highly recommend you pay a visit to the FL Keys Wild Bird Rehab Center while you're down there. Address is
93600 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, Key Largo, FL 33070-2815
+1 305-852-4486
The sanctuary cares for injured, orphaned and rescue birds. The wild bird sancturay is a natural habitat including birds of prey, tropical and sea birds among many other varieties. The Center is an oasis for so many beautiful wild birds, owls as well as parrots. They also have a little walkway behind the bird oasis with beautiful grounds and views showcasing the scenic waters, mangroves, and more birds and ducks walking about. It doesn't cost anything to visit the rehabilitation center, but you can donate in the little donation box up at the front. This is a great stop for all ages.
^Definitely worthwhile, especially for kids.

Another interesting place is on North Key Largo, there's an abandoned 70's luxury development that was called Port Bougainville. The state bought the land and you can hike through it. The ruins are a bit spooky and the trees and vegetation are like nothing else in the USA.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #21

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
good read on current conditions in Big Pine Key

https://theboatgalley.com/boot-key-h...eid=b9d6dd2c22

This blogpost by Carolyn Shearlock, who is a boater, is good insight into the current state of affairs in the Marathon area. This was the most hard-hit zone damage-wise.

I especially liked her suggestion that anyone visiting pick up a small bag of garbage---one bag at a time, we'll get it done----and also that she encourages people to come to the Keys, as tourism provides dollars to help rebuild.

Having travelled to the Keys pre-Irma, I can only imagine the devastation that was unleashed. Her points are all good ones.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:29 AM   #22

Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Registry
Check Keys State Park web sites. Irma destroyed alot of the campgrounds. Pennekamp appears to be the only one open to camping. At least I hope so because my reservation for Thanksgiving hasn't been canceled.
#KEYS STRONG!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #23

Chicago, Illinois
Registry
I take I-75 to US 41 thru the Everglades and Big Cypress NPs. Lots to see and do while traveling down US 41. Get gas in Naples because the next gas stop is in Homestead.
When will you be at Pennekamp? I'm there at Thanksgiving.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Deb we will be headed back home before Thanksgiving, when are you arriving?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #25

Chicago, Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
Deb we will be headed back home before Thanksgiving, when are you arriving?
21st

Tags
eco