What a difference 3' makes!!! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
BatDude's Avatar
 
Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Posts: 291
What a difference 3' makes!!!

We are back from our first Escape shakedown cruise. We followed our coast-to-coast route we have traversed the past 2 summers here in Mich.




Our new Escape 19 towed very well and was extremely stable. We had one day of very heavy winds [>30 MHP] and while I usually felt buffeting with our Scamp 16 under similar conditions no issues with the Escape.



Oops ... I had an initial issue pulling the trailer up our steep drive up to the road with the front wheels spinning at one point.

It did take me a moment or so to figure out the first connecting of the weight distribution hitch bars before setting off.



The instructions indicated one needed to be on a level bit of ground to measure the front ride height of the TV then adjust the chains on the transfer bars so the front ride height was the same as before the trailer was hitched and lowered onto the ball.

Once I was up on top and all was level I attempted to install the weight distribution bars but then realized that this cannot be accomplished with the trailer tongue jack extended as the bars would not rotate to seat into the hitch. To seat them one needs to swing each from nearly parallel to the TV rear pointing to the center line then outward, however, the jack prevented that.


Once I disconnected the trailer and pulled forward I installed the bars backed up again reconnected to the ball on the hitch and started to evaluate which link of chain I needed to connect.

DUH!


During this Hooking of the chain step, I noted that ETI had already marked the correct link so there was absolutely no need for me to go through all of this!


Had I but realized this I would have been able to pull up the drive with the correct weight transfer to the front wheels! Ford indicates if the Flex is an AWD the weight distribution hitch is not needed but is for the FWD only which we have.

So from now on I will have it correctly connected and weight transferred forward before pulling up the drive.





We had a super trip for a week. What a difference 3’ makes over our Scamp 16!


Cheers all Bat Dude and family.
__________________

__________________
Conservation biologist specializing in bats. Now stepping aside from paid $ bat work and just Escaping, painting and mentoring grad students
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,048
Registry
Sweet! I'll keep my eye out for a Flex/Escape combination this winter. Couldn't be many of those on the road. Happy travels!
__________________

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,782
Registry
I agree! Three feet makes a difference!
No need for a WDH on a Scamp16 and it can go just about anywhere, while providing thrift and comfort on the road and off. Even better, subtract another three feet for the ultimate tow...A Scamp13.


Your Flex/Escape combo really is a great looking rig and its easy to see why you love it!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DeanCHS1980's Avatar
 
Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Posts: 626
Registry
What a great looking combo!

Happy Camping!!!
__________________
Laura & Dean | '05 Casita 17' FD | '09 Kia Borrego Limited V8 2WD
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Cory Hilby's Avatar
 
Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Posts: 165
Three more feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I agree! Three feet makes a difference!
No need for a WDH on a Scamp16 and it can go just about anywhere, while providing thrift and comfort on the road and off. Even better, subtract another three feet for the ultimate tow...A Scamp13.


Your Flex/Escape combo really is a great looking rig and its easy to see why you love it!

After going to many meets, I've been under the impression that even TWO more feet makes a big difference!, especially interiorly!


How many nights does your Michigan coast-to-coast route take?
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
We are back from our first Escape shakedown cruise. We followed our coast-to-coast route we have traversed the past 2 summers here in Mich.




Our new Escape 19 towed very well and was extremely stable. We had one day of very heavy winds [>30 MHP] and while I usually felt buffeting with our Scamp 16 under similar conditions no issues with the Escape.



Oops ... I had an initial issue pulling the trailer up our steep drive up to the road with the front wheels spinning at one point.

It did take me a moment or so to figure out the first connecting of the weight distribution hitch bars before setting off.



The instructions indicated one needed to be on a level bit of ground to measure the front ride height of the TV then adjust the chains on the transfer bars so the front ride height was the same as before the trailer was hitched and lowered onto the ball.

Once I was up on top and all was level I attempted to install the weight distribution bars but then realized that this cannot be accomplished with the trailer tongue jack extended as the bars would not rotate to seat into the hitch. To seat them one needs to swing each from nearly parallel to the TV rear pointing to the center line then outward, however, the jack prevented that.


Once I disconnected the trailer and pulled forward I installed the bars backed up again reconnected to the ball on the hitch and started to evaluate which link of chain I needed to connect.

DUH!


During this Hooking of the chain step, I noted that ETI had already marked the correct link so there was absolutely no need for me to go through all of this!


Had I but realized this I would have been able to pull up the drive with the correct weight transfer to the front wheels! Ford indicates if the Flex is an AWD the weight distribution hitch is not needed but is for the FWD only which we have.

So from now on I will have it correctly connected and weight transferred forward before pulling up the drive.





We had a super trip for a week. What a difference 3’ makes over our Scamp 16!


Cheers all Bat Dude and family.
:Batman would a AWD be better for pulling the 20' rather than the 2wd? I do not own one of these but one passed me on a gravel road while I was toddling along in my old Corolla, I noted the best item is the width of the wheels and the long wheel base, he/she was traveling at 60mph, elevation 5000' on gravel logging road not serviced yearly and I doing 25mph, I heard that some of these vehicles have really big motors with lots of Horse Power?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Batman would a AWD be better for pulling the 20' rather than the 2wd? I do not own one of these but one passed me on a gravel road while I was toddling along in my old Corolla, I noted the best item is the width of the wheels and the long wheel base, he/she was traveling at 60mph, elevation 5000' on gravel logging road not serviced yearly and I doing 25mph, I heard that some of these vehicles have really big motors with lots of Horse Power?
Stude
:forgot to mention real nice trailer and TV, I only live 1 1/2 hours from them so one of these fall days we might take a trip out and check them out, I can get around $55,000 for MH then buy one of these but will need a good Tow Vehicle so that was why previous post. I'm tired of only getting 11.5mpg we need to do better than that at the price we pay for fuel here is scary, you may of found that out when you picked up your trailer in Chilliwack, BC or did you have it delivered? My wife will not give up her walk around semi Queen bed and possibly neither will I, unit has to have oven or Convection Oven as my wife bakes her own bread and buns as she is Gluten Free. We also like a 2dr Fridge/Freezer at least 7cubic feet. When we go out where it is quiet in the MH were out there for 2 to 3 weeks before we have to find a place to dump.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter-ing as I shop
Denver, CO
Posts: 908
I think Envy is the word I would use. Very nice.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Posts: 294
Nice Rig

Hi Bat Dude
Glad you like your new Escape and you’ve got a sweet looking tow too. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy using it this fall and from now on. The 19’Escapes are just right for many owners.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Posts: 1,371
Registry
For every camper, there is a size that works, and a size that doesn't. Often just a couple of feet CAN make all the difference! Now each person is different, and their camping is different too (short trips, weekends, week long, month long, etc).

We also found we needed just two more feet to get it right for us.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,048
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
For every camper, there is a size that works, and a size that doesn't. Often just a couple of feet CAN make all the difference! Now each person is different, and their camping is different too (short trips, weekends, week long, month long, etc).

We also found we needed just two more feet to get it right for us.
Sometimes it goes the other way. There is a point when the size of the trailer makes you think, "Do I want to get everything clean and ready for just a few days?" And you find yourself traveling less often.

In the end, though, chasing the perfect trailer is like chasing a unicorn. There is no "just right," only "good enough." Wise people stop there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Posts: 1,371
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sometimes it goes the other way. There is a point when the size of the trailer makes you think, "Do I want to get everything clean and ready for just a few days?" And you find yourself traveling less often.

In the end, though, chasing the perfect trailer is like chasing a unicorn. There is no "just right," only "good enough." Wise people stop there.

Absolutely! Thats one reason some folks here own more than one trailer. A rig that is great for a month may not be that useful for a night or two. Sometimes I would prefer to have a really light weight trailer, one I could pull behind my Honda Element, for short, solo trips. I did solo with a tent for years, so a 13 ft Scamp would be spacious!


Taken to an extreme, I have friends with a 40 fifth wheel. Taking it out for a weekend is a major PITA.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,442
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:forgot to mention real nice trailer and TV, I only live 1 1/2 hours from them so one of these fall days we might take a trip out and check them out, I can get around $55,000 for MH then buy one of these but will need a good Tow Vehicle so that was why previous post. I'm tired of only getting 11.5mpg we need to do better than that at the price we pay for fuel here is scary, you may of found that out when you picked up your trailer in Chilliwack, BC or did you have it delivered? My wife will not give up her walk around semi Queen bed and possibly neither will I, unit has to have oven or Convection Oven as my wife bakes her own bread and buns as she is Gluten Free. We also like a 2dr Fridge/Freezer at least 7cubic feet. When we go out where it is quiet in the MH were out there for 2 to 3 weeks before we have to find a place to dump.
stude
None of the Escapes will have these features you indicate you wanted......
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:47 AM   #14
Member
 
Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Posts: 52
We did the same move up with a Bigfoot

We owned a nice 2008 Bigfoot 17.5 with rear bed but discovered it too small for us and 3 grandkids who wanted to camp. I sold it to the first buyer who had been looking for this BG for 2 years, and had no tow vehicle. So we delivered it to them. Then I came across a 2002 BG 21’ rear queen and discovered it was owned by Oscar who had bought my classic California MBenz 300d a couple years back. He made us a deal we were happy with and have slept well with Two Gkids on the dinette and one tucked under. We have one more grandson but he’s old enough to sleep in the back of our Tow V. I know escapes well and now know Bigfoot. Its more than a ‘I like Chev’s you like Fords’ thing. When you understand the construction of the Bigfoot you will understand why it’s worth every cent. I don’t understand why Americans don’t shop more in canada when you are getting 30% discount on everything you buy in Canada with your US dollar. I live on the BC side of the border and I see a lot of Washington plates around town. Best guys to deal with for a Bigfoot is Getaway RV. The Thiessen brothers are straight up and great people. Its not hard to import a trailer into the us from Canada. A bit of a ramble I know but go Big(foot) or go home! :?)>
__________________

ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What a difference a day makes Raz General Chat 20 03-17-2017 06:14 PM
What A Difference A Month Makes (Gulf State Park, Alabama) Ray N Camping, Campout Reports 5 09-09-2013 10:24 PM
What a difference a coat of primer makes! courtney Modifications, Alterations and Updates 15 09-05-2013 09:13 PM
Who Still Makes MFGRV's Bob Pierce General Chat 17 07-22-2008 07:40 PM
Who makes the composite propane tank Steve Rosenberg Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 11-10-2006 12:31 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.