What a difference 3' makes!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
What a difference 3' makes!!!

We are back from our first Escape shakedown cruise. We followed our coast-to-coast route we have traversed the past 2 summers here in Mich.

Our new Escape 19 towed very well and was extremely stable. We had one day of very heavy winds [>30 MHP] and while I usually felt buffeting with our Scamp 16 under similar conditions no issues with the Escape.

Oops ... I had an initial issue pulling the trailer up our steep drive up to the road with the front wheels spinning at one point.

It did take me a moment or so to figure out the first connecting of the weight distribution hitch bars before setting off.

The instructions indicated one needed to be on a level bit of ground to measure the front ride height of the TV then adjust the chains on the transfer bars so the front ride height was the same as before the trailer was hitched and lowered onto the ball.

Once I was up on top and all was level I attempted to install the weight distribution bars but then realized that this cannot be accomplished with the trailer tongue jack extended as the bars would not rotate to seat into the hitch. To seat them one needs to swing each from nearly parallel to the TV rear pointing to the center line then outward, however, the jack prevented that.

Once I disconnected the trailer and pulled forward I installed the bars backed up again reconnected to the ball on the hitch and started to evaluate which link of chain I needed to connect.

DUH!

During this Hooking of the chain step, I noted that ETI had already marked the correct link so there was absolutely no need for me to go through all of this!

Had I but realized this I would have been able to pull up the drive with the correct weight transfer to the front wheels! Ford indicates if the Flex is an AWD the weight distribution hitch is not needed but is for the FWD only which we have.

So from now on I will have it correctly connected and weight transferred forward before pulling up the drive.

We had a super trip for a week. What a difference 3’ makes over our Scamp 16!

Cheers all Bat Dude and family.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sweet! I'll keep my eye out for a Flex/Escape combination this winter. Couldn't be many of those on the road. Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I agree! Three feet makes a difference!
No need for a WDH on a Scamp16 and it can go just about anywhere, while providing thrift and comfort on the road and off. Even better, subtract another three feet for the ultimate tow...A Scamp13.

Your Flex/Escape combo really is a great looking rig and its easy to see why you love it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
What a great looking combo!

Happy Camping!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Three more feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I agree! Three feet makes a difference!
No need for a WDH on a Scamp16 and it can go just about anywhere, while providing thrift and comfort on the road and off. Even better, subtract another three feet for the ultimate tow...A Scamp13.

Your Flex/Escape combo really is a great looking rig and its easy to see why you love it!

After going to many meets, I've been under the impression that even TWO more feet makes a big difference!, especially interiorly!

How many nights does your Michigan coast-to-coast route take?
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
We are back from our first Escape shakedown cruise. We followed our coast-to-coast route we have traversed the past 2 summers here in Mich.

Our new Escape 19 towed very well and was extremely stable. We had one day of very heavy winds [>30 MHP] and while I usually felt buffeting with our Scamp 16 under similar conditions no issues with the Escape.

Oops ... I had an initial issue pulling the trailer up our steep drive up to the road with the front wheels spinning at one point.

It did take me a moment or so to figure out the first connecting of the weight distribution hitch bars before setting off.

The instructions indicated one needed to be on a level bit of ground to measure the front ride height of the TV then adjust the chains on the transfer bars so the front ride height was the same as before the trailer was hitched and lowered onto the ball.

Once I was up on top and all was level I attempted to install the weight distribution bars but then realized that this cannot be accomplished with the trailer tongue jack extended as the bars would not rotate to seat into the hitch. To seat them one needs to swing each from nearly parallel to the TV rear pointing to the center line then outward, however, the jack prevented that.

Once I disconnected the trailer and pulled forward I installed the bars backed up again reconnected to the ball on the hitch and started to evaluate which link of chain I needed to connect.

DUH!

During this Hooking of the chain step, I noted that ETI had already marked the correct link so there was absolutely no need for me to go through all of this!

Had I but realized this I would have been able to pull up the drive with the correct weight transfer to the front wheels! Ford indicates if the Flex is an AWD the weight distribution hitch is not needed but is for the FWD only which we have.

So from now on I will have it correctly connected and weight transferred forward before pulling up the drive.

We had a super trip for a week. What a difference 3’ makes over our Scamp 16!

Cheers all Bat Dude and family.
:Batman would a AWD be better for pulling the 20' rather than the 2wd? I do not own one of these but one passed me on a gravel road while I was toddling along in my old Corolla, I noted the best item is the width of the wheels and the long wheel base, he/she was traveling at 60mph, elevation 5000' on gravel logging road not serviced yearly and I doing 25mph, I heard that some of these vehicles have really big motors with lots of Horse Power?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Batman would a AWD be better for pulling the 20' rather than the 2wd? I do not own one of these but one passed me on a gravel road while I was toddling along in my old Corolla, I noted the best item is the width of the wheels and the long wheel base, he/she was traveling at 60mph, elevation 5000' on gravel logging road not serviced yearly and I doing 25mph, I heard that some of these vehicles have really big motors with lots of Horse Power?
Stude
:forgot to mention real nice trailer and TV, I only live 1 1/2 hours from them so one of these fall days we might take a trip out and check them out, I can get around $55,000 for MH then buy one of these but will need a good Tow Vehicle so that was why previous post. I'm tired of only getting 11.5mpg we need to do better than that at the price we pay for fuel here is scary, you may of found that out when you picked up your trailer in Chilliwack, BC or did you have it delivered? My wife will not give up her walk around semi Queen bed and possibly neither will I, unit has to have oven or Convection Oven as my wife bakes her own bread and buns as she is Gluten Free. We also like a 2dr Fridge/Freezer at least 7cubic feet. When we go out where it is quiet in the MH were out there for 2 to 3 weeks before we have to find a place to dump.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I think Envy is the word I would use. Very nice.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Nice Rig

Hi Bat Dude
Glad you like your new Escape and you’ve got a sweet looking tow too. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy using it this fall and from now on. The 19’Escapes are just right for many owners.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
For every camper, there is a size that works, and a size that doesn't. Often just a couple of feet CAN make all the difference! Now each person is different, and their camping is different too (short trips, weekends, week long, month long, etc).

We also found we needed just two more feet to get it right for us.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
For every camper, there is a size that works, and a size that doesn't. Often just a couple of feet CAN make all the difference! Now each person is different, and their camping is different too (short trips, weekends, week long, month long, etc).

We also found we needed just two more feet to get it right for us.
Sometimes it goes the other way. There is a point when the size of the trailer makes you think, "Do I want to get everything clean and ready for just a few days?" And you find yourself traveling less often.

In the end, though, chasing the perfect trailer is like chasing a unicorn. There is no "just right," only "good enough." Wise people stop there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sometimes it goes the other way. There is a point when the size of the trailer makes you think, "Do I want to get everything clean and ready for just a few days?" And you find yourself traveling less often.

In the end, though, chasing the perfect trailer is like chasing a unicorn. There is no "just right," only "good enough." Wise people stop there.

Absolutely! Thats one reason some folks here own more than one trailer. A rig that is great for a month may not be that useful for a night or two. Sometimes I would prefer to have a really light weight trailer, one I could pull behind my Honda Element, for short, solo trips. I did solo with a tent for years, so a 13 ft Scamp would be spacious!

Taken to an extreme, I have friends with a 40 fifth wheel. Taking it out for a weekend is a major PITA.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:forgot to mention real nice trailer and TV, I only live 1 1/2 hours from them so one of these fall days we might take a trip out and check them out, I can get around $55,000 for MH then buy one of these but will need a good Tow Vehicle so that was why previous post. I'm tired of only getting 11.5mpg we need to do better than that at the price we pay for fuel here is scary, you may of found that out when you picked up your trailer in Chilliwack, BC or did you have it delivered? My wife will not give up her walk around semi Queen bed and possibly neither will I, unit has to have oven or Convection Oven as my wife bakes her own bread and buns as she is Gluten Free. We also like a 2dr Fridge/Freezer at least 7cubic feet. When we go out where it is quiet in the MH were out there for 2 to 3 weeks before we have to find a place to dump.
stude
None of the Escapes will have these features you indicate you wanted......
Old 09-29-2018, 12:47 AM   #14

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
We did the same move up with a Bigfoot

We owned a nice 2008 Bigfoot 17.5 with rear bed but discovered it too small for us and 3 grandkids who wanted to camp. I sold it to the first buyer who had been looking for this BG for 2 years, and had no tow vehicle. So we delivered it to them. Then I came across a 2002 BG 21’ rear queen and discovered it was owned by Oscar who had bought my classic California MBenz 300d a couple years back. He made us a deal we were happy with and have slept well with Two Gkids on the dinette and one tucked under. We have one more grandson but he’s old enough to sleep in the back of our Tow V. I know escapes well and now know Bigfoot. Its more than a ‘I like Chev’s you like Fords’ thing. When you understand the construction of the Bigfoot you will understand why it’s worth every cent. I don’t understand why Americans don’t shop more in canada when you are getting 30% discount on everything you buy in Canada with your US dollar. I live on the BC side of the border and I see a lot of Washington plates around town. Best guys to deal with for a Bigfoot is Getaway RV. The Thiessen brothers are straight up and great people. Its not hard to import a trailer into the us from Canada. A bit of a ramble I know but go Big(foot) or go home! :?)>
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well said....
Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Please keep your political views to yourself, this is a forum for discussing trailers and camping. I had to clean up a few things and will just shut it down if needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Please keep your political views to yourself, this is a forum for discussing trailers and camping. I had to clean up a few things and will just shut it down if needed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote