what does your state have? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I'm also a native Californian and proud of it, I just don't like what's been done to our Golden State.

Now I have to say I was in Michigan and travelled all around and didn't see any mountains. Could they have been those knolls and rises I went up over. I just did a search and found that the highest elevation is some 1,900 ft., just under my elevation here as I write. Any way, I guess missed it. Also, I guess I'm just spoiled with our Sierra Navada's. The highest pass through them is Tioga which reaches 11,952ft and the lowest appears to be about 5600ft. So these are definitely mountains.

What we also have is the highest point in the contiguous states...Mt. Whitney at 14,494ft with the lowest point in the states being Bad Water in Death Valley at -282ft. They are barely 80 miles apart as the crow flies, or was that a California Condor!!

Then beautiful Yosemite National Park. The wonderful breathtaking ocean on the Monterey Peninsula. Our indescribable Redwoods National Park as well as Sequoia National Park. I could go on but you get the gist.

I'm not sure what we lack here in California.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
I live in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. It's nice here.

If I say more, I will be in serious trouble!
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Now I have to say I was in Michigan and traveled all around and didn't see any mountains. ...........
I was in California and didn't see any real lakes. Just a few ponds, compared with Lake Michigan.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post

And Moran State Park is a great place to stay!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #25

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
no michigan doesn't have huge ranges. but we do have the iron mountains in the upper peninsila.
and some great recesional moranes left over from the glaciers.....which by the way melted before we got around to causing global warming....lol.

anyway,,,this has been a great thread and should encourage all to go see other states.

if you are going to stay somewhere for awhile, look into the park host program. free camping!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #26

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Missouri has its state parks. Lots of them. Beautiful and interesting. The camping prices are very reasonable and they are not crowded. Come and stay for a while.

Missouri State Parks

Camping Fees and Seasons | Missouri State Parks
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I can give a testimony about Missouri. I haven't camped there yet but I just drove through it. It has GREAT roads (that means a lot to me). Is a very clean state. Rolling hills. It's a beautiful state!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #28

Michigan
i camped a lot in missouri.....ok it was at fort leonard wood.....but still,,,thats camping isn't it?

probably wasn't what would encourage tourism though...think i'm still digging that red clay/mud out of crevises. and that was back in 68.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
no michigan doesn't have huge ranges. but we do have the iron mountains in the upper peninsila.
and some great recesional moranes left over from the glaciers.....which by the way melted before we got around to causing global warming....lol.
Hey Good one, Jon.....Yes, I was up there too. The Iron Mountains a wonderful area, in fact I enjoyed the UP the most as far as Michigan goes. The Mitt is fine too with lots of things to see and do.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
This thread is a great way to 'see' everyone's state through their eyes! How about the Dakotas? Wyoming? Bitty Little Rhode Island? New Mexico? And don't forget about beeeutiful Alaska! Can we describe all 50?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #31

Michigan
i've driven threw R.I. while driving truck . very cool state. but even with 13 foot scamps i think they have a limit as to how many fit in the state at one time....lol

seriously. i do hope to go back again to visit some day.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #32

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
All Interesting

No matter where we've gone, we always find something of interest. People always ask where's my favorite... it's Newfoundland.... however we've been to at least 1,000 places where I could happily live.

There's so much wonder in North America...we're in year 11 and the kids will have to rip the keys from our hands to stop us. When we stop at an Escapee park, where there's mostly former fulltimers many in their 80's and 90's, they all relate how they wish they were still on the road.

Every state has it's wonders and it's great people ....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I was in California and didn't see any real lakes. Just a few ponds, compared with Lake Michigan.

Conversely, for awhile I didn't see those Great Lakes in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan. I kept asking Lily if she wanted to go down to the ocean for a walk. It was hard not to call those Great Lakes oceans. They sure appeared that way with waves and an endless amount of water and no opposite bank to see anywhere.

Our big lakes in CA generally have trees or mountains on the other side within eyesight. At the moment I can't think of one that can't see across to the other side.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #34

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Conversely, for awhile I didn't see those Great Lakes in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan. I kept asking Lily if she wanted to go down to the ocean for a walk. It was hard not to call those Great Lakes oceans. They sure appeared that way with waves and an endless amount of water and no opposite bank to see anywhere.

Our big lakes in CA generally have trees or mountains on the other side within eyesight. At the moment I can't think of one that can't see across to the other side.
to really appreciate the great lakes you have to see them in all seasons.
ice storms cast up huge free form sculptures of ice. in the spring iceflows take on the look of bergs. spring and fall storms cast up waves that can dammage oceon going frieghters. in thunder bay there is examples of ships from ever decade during the 20th century. more then 100 wrecks on the bottom in that area alone. and of course everyone knows what the three sisters of lake superior did to the edmond fitzgerald.
the north chanel of lake huron is one of the top ten sailing destinations in the world.
they truely are seas not lakes.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
More reason to like NH

Besides no income or sales taxes, more reason to love NH if you're looking for a job, 4th best in nation..... if I weren't retired......

4. New Hampshire
Why: New Hampshire's unemployment rate is 3.4 percent lower than the national average.What's more, according to statistics released by the U.S. Census Bureau, New Hampshire has the highest median household income in the U.S., at $66,303**.
Unemployment rate: 5.1 percent

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
to really appreciate the great lakes you have to see them in all seasons.
ice storms cast up huge free form sculptures of ice. in the spring iceflows take on the look of bergs. spring and fall storms cast up waves that can dammage oceon going frieghters. in thunder bay there is examples of ships from ever decade during the 20th century. more then 100 wrecks on the bottom in that area alone. and of course everyone knows what the three sisters of lake superior did to the edmond fitzgerald.
the north chanel of lake huron is one of the top ten sailing destinations in the world.
they truely are seas not lakes.
You forgot to mention ice fishing... driving onto the lake in one's pickup and setting up an ice shanty. And the seemingly inevitable sight of some of those shanties (and sometimes pickups too) floating away when the ice starts to break up.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #37

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Alberta, (also not a state) has mountains, prairie, sub arctic, and nearly desert. The wind in the south is awesome, (not necessarily a good thing). The air is dry. I love the Chinooks! Nothing like a vacation from winter without booking a vacation, (not required this year). No sales tax. Lots of parks. Lots of space. Close enough to BC, but without the expense of living in BC. Lets be a little controversial, we also have the tar sands. Proven reserves second only to Saudi Arabia!

I'm not so fond of Banff, its a bit touristy, but the Japanese love it, (I hear that they have a soap opera set in Banff) good sushi.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Well my state is so big it has to have just about every feature ... Along with a whole lot of not so pretty features. From the rugged terrain of Big Bend National Park, to the spring fed rivers in Central Texas, the coastline at Padre Island, the sand dunes at Monahan Hills SP, the Piney Woods of East Texas, the congested freeways of Dallas and Houston, we've got it all.... It just might take 6 or 7 hours to get there!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post

LOL having grown up on Vancouver Island I fully understand!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #40

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
A few things to add about BC, we have an amazing coast line, we are called the wild wet coast for a reason! Our storm watching season on Vancouver Island (Tofino, Pacific Rim National Park) is fantastic & the temperatures stay mild, so if you don't like -20 & snow, the coast is a good choice. Inland we have lakes like Lake Okanagan & Kootenay lake which are warm in the summer and lovely to both boat in and just relax on the beach. Our forests vary greatly; on the coast we have dense rainforest filled with wildlife & inland we have sparser forests with gorgeous grasslands. We have the Rockies and stunning rivers. If you like skiing & winter sports we have world renowned Whistler & Blackcomb & Big White etc. etc. We are an outdoor lovers dream year round. People have mentioned BC is pricey, but most whom are visiting seem to find that we have reasonable prices (if you avoid tourist traps and seek out the true gems, many are free!). Most in BC are passionate about protecting the environment & conserving what we have for future generations to enjoy.
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote