What is the most reliable and quick route across the US - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
What is the most reliable and quick route across the US

Hello all,
We are planning a trip mid June to mid July from the Los Angeles area up to upstate New York. We have the trip all planned going with wonderful stops along the way. We'd like to return more quickly. Which route across the country have you found to be relatively quick and with the fewest problems?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I-70 in your case. I-40 will work OK too.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Google Maps might show where roads are under construction.
But, a trip of that length is bound to include some slow spots.
Obviously the interstate highways are the fastest, But you can make good time with a lot less traffic on the two lane roads.
Give yourselves time to slow down and enjoy the scenery.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I have found the best way to make good time is to minimize time spent stopped. Its kind of obvious, but its really important. Stops are for gas, food, bathroom, whatever. You can fuel up in 6 to 10 minutes, or you can take 30 minutes. I've seen people take an hour at a fuel stop. OK if you have the time, but a productivity killer if you are trying to make time.

There is no speed where you can overcome wasting time during the day. And if you are committed to making a certain number of miles regardless, then the time you waste during the day is added on to the end of the day, where you are more fatigued, it can be dark, etc. Starting early, perhaps earlier than you usually start, is also a good time management trick. I find increasing the speed I travel also is fatiguing. So instead of going FASTER than you are comfortable driving, keep your usual speed and start the days early and waste less time.

Its really about time management. Phone apps like WAZE can tell you of upcoming construction and issues.

Also, certain foods tend to make you tired, so avoid those greasy, heavy meals.

I also plan my route so that I avoid big cities anywhere near rush hour. And if can go through those big cities on weekend days, the traffic is usually much better.

So for instance, in our upcoming trip to AK, we will be going through Minneapolis on a Saturday morning, instead of a Friday morning. I moved our departure by one day on purpose to avoid this bottleneck. Once you have a good feel for your traveling speed and route choices, you will see the potential problems. Closer to us, Nashville is ALWAYS a problem, any time/any day of week. So we look at alternate routes.

For many years I competed in endurance rallies. I picked up some lessons along the way that I now apply to general travel.

One sizable advantage traveling from the east to the west is you gain hours with the time change. Now you lose those hours going west to east, so in our case, we depart going west, gaining time on multiple days, and then we return heading east, losing time on multiple days.

I find by studying an "analog GPS" (paper map or Atlas), I get a better concept of major cities and routing. Then I use google map to get the details.

As far as seeing every little town and "smelling the roses", you can do that on the way out, and then do less of it on the return. I find our trips have an expiration time, once we reach that point, getting home quickly becomes the priority.

I-80 in the east, connect to I-70 in Denver.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
On Interstates, I agree I-70. If you want to catch I-80 it connects here in Denver. Similarly, you can catch I-40 East of LA. Why might you? Weather or construction. I think there are also diagonal connectors in the East.

I don't think I'd take the entire trip on old U.S. highways. But I love the idea of several segments on them. Some are 4 lane divided, others not. The 4 lanes are a mix for speed and some local color, two lanes for local color. Maybe you take old highways around big construction zones, or toll roads. There are some non interstate divided highways that are well kept secrets.

"Get your kicks,on Route 66"

There must be websites listing construction projects.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
We’re thinking of 70 and then 44 at St. Louis. Then 40 on across. Does anyone know reasons for staying on 70 instead? Or the suggestion of 80 connecting to 70 in Denver?
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Scenery. Nothing can beat engineering marvel of I70 construction between Denver and Grand Junction.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #8

Denver, CO
Sergey is correct about the engineering.

I see no reason not to take 70 to 44 to 40, others may. 80 out of Denver is more of an option than suggestion. More active travelers may know which routes have roads in good or bad shape.

East of the Mississippi, tolls can be a consideration. Pennsylvania comes to mind.

I am sure really astute drivers (truckers) know where to fuel up based on gas taxes. Wyoming is one. Or maybe you are taking the Tesla. Not sure, you may want 2 or 3 Honda generators, running in your trunk, to lessen stops.

I'm kidding.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
I-80 does not go to Denver.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #10

Missouri
Most people not accustomed to long trips make the twin mistakes of driving too fast and too long. Those things make your trip less enjoyable and less safe. The faster you drive the faster you will get fatigue. Both combine to significantly increase your risk of an accident. Instead of five over the speed limit try five under. (except when you get to California where the speed limit for trailers is 55. Please don't drive 50 mph when the other traffic is all running 75, someone will get hurt).

Since there are two of you to trade off, driving fatigue should be manageable.

I make the assumption that you will want to stop and sleep rather than drive straight through. So, the next question is; where do you plan to stop and sleep? Camp grounds or boonedocking? If you boonedock don't do it in larger cities and avoid overnighting in highway rest areas. Camp grounds are time consuming because you have to go in, get registered, find your spot etc.

Also if you are making this trip in late summer you will encounter some really warm weather. You WILL need some way power the air conditioner if you want to sleep in the trailer.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #11

Denver, CO
I-76 out of Denver, is the connector to I-80. It is on every map.

No, it is not on your Oregon map.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
google suggests the shortest way from Upstate NY is I90 to I80 to Nebraska, I76 to Denver, I70 to I15 through Vegas to LA

I90 to I271 to I71 through Columbus, I70 to St Louis, I44 to OKC, I40 to I15 to LA is the same time, and only a few more miles.

pick your poison.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #13

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Southwest Airlines!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Personally I really like CO west of Denver and Utah. So I am going I70. If you want a break, CO Monument, Arches and a few others are close to I70.

Will test a marginal tow vehicle.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I-70 west of Denver is incredibly scenic, but also has major grades to deal with. There are two passes a 10,000+ feet and also passes in the front range. I have driven it many times but some might find it intimidating to deal with trucks crawling up the hill at 15 mph while cars are overtaking at 65+.

Having said that, plan on stopping in one of the Glenwood Canyon rest areas, might be my all time favorite rest areas.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Regardless of route (we like the I70/I44?I40 route) watch out for tornados during that time period. We like to make it to Amarillo as quick as possible and then on to Flagstaff during the "season". I can leave on a Wednesday am and make it to Bakersfield, Ca by Saturday am.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #17

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Regardless of route (we like the I70/I44?I40 route) watch out for tornados during that time period. We like to make it to Amarillo as quick as possible and then on to Flagstaff during the "season". I can leave on a Wednesday am and make it to Bakersfield, Ca by Saturday am.
I have lived in "tornado alley" for 66 years and have never seen a tornado with my own eyes.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That does not mean they do not exist, I have seen the damage done as a result with my own eyes, so they do exist!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I have lived in "tornado alley" for 66 years and have never seen a tornado with my own eyes.
Funny. I have seen several tornadoes in Minnesota over the years, and we don't get nearly as many as Tornado Alley.

Having said that, I think tornadoes are far too unpredictable and localized to base travel plans on.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #20

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Cross Country Trip

Regardless of route chosen, please keep in mind that several states limit speeds for towing vehicles that are often BELOW the posted speed limit. That restriction applies to Interstates as well as state and county roads. No need for any unexpected encounters with a zealous local LEO.