where oh where should we go? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Deluxe
I can't help it - I have not been this excited since I got a horse for Christmas!!
I have my money saved and am just waiting for the right one for me to come along (before summer please!).
Anyway - I have my summers off b/c I work in the school system and I want to take my best friend and her 2 kids along with my 9 year old, Lily. So what should we do for our first trip?! I want to go somewhere I have never been. Been to Florida a bunch, been to CA, been to Yellowstone. I am in TN so have been to Arkansas, MS, LA, Kentucky.
I want to camp in state parks and it be fun for the kids and relaxing for the grown-ups and really special since it will be our first trip.
So where should we go??!!

joy
joy mccalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I know how you feel Joy. I just got my trailer a week before Christmas and I can't wait for spring to get here. Last night I was looking at all the neat and interesting names everyone has given their little eggs and now I have the hard task of trying to find one for mine. As for a guide book, I was thinking of trying the CAA or in your case AAA to see what they have for info on parks and such. Should be lots of fun anyways.
Marina

Old 01-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
I can't help it - I have not been this excited since I got a horse for Christmas!!
I have my money saved and am just waiting for the right one for me to come along (before summer please!).
Anyway - I have my summers off b/c I work in the school system and I want to take my best friend and her 2 kids along with my 9 year old, Lily. So what should we do for our first trip?! I want to go somewhere I have never been. Been to Florida a bunch, been to CA, been to Yellowstone. I am in TN so have been to Arkansas, MS, LA, Kentucky.
I want to camp in state parks and it be fun for the kids and relaxing for the grown-ups and really special since it will be our first trip.
So where should we go??!!

joy
Hello Joy:
Like yourself, I am looking for the perfect EGG, as well, or at least one that I can redo and make my own.
I check all the Fiberglass Trailer sites and Forums.
Like many have mentioned to me, the trailer that was meant for you
will all of a sudden appear, when you least expect it!

I was on the Casita Trailer Forum, and came across this link to Campgrounds, that seems to be highly recommended there.

(http://www.campingroadtrip.com) On the site you can search for campgrounds.

I found it very useful when I was planning a trip to Vermont last week because you can type your destination in the website and it generates a list of campgrounds with all of their information posted. It saved me a ton of time because it allows you to search for campgrounds with 10 miles of your destination!

I hope that helps, and good luck with your search as well!
Happy Camping, Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: joy mccalla... WHOA NELLY!!! Camping is like walking...start out with baby steps. Don't get to far away the first time. Make a list of everything you forgot or needed, for the second time. And remember the trip is the destination!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah I agree with Alf about the need for baby steps. My first trip with my trailer was to a state park about 30 miles from home. I knew I was going to be stressed enough getting it there, backed into the site and everything hooked up. In the end, I was very glad I didn't drive for miles because it took me longer to setup than I thought it would (perfect practice makes perfect!). In the future, you'll have plenty of time to venture further from home.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
I like the advice I have heard so far. Start slow and close with a "shakedown" cruise.

This past week our local public television has been broadcasting the Ken Burns series on "Our National Parks". What a wonderful series. It certainly got me interested in many places to visit, particulary in the southwest. Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon and Zion look like a wonderful area to spend some time.

Might I suggest you look to rent the series, Netflix or your local video store will probably have it. Or check your local PBS station lineup.

I also like to know what sort of campground I am going into, though I have not tested their recommendations I have sure researched many campgrounds. It is a good place to get other opinions on staying for the night, weekend or week.
http://campgroundreviews.com/

Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
I would suggest that you make your first trip a weekend campout in your driveway or backyard. Make a list of everything you have to go back to the house for and also think about all the things you loaded up and didn't use. Then take the trailer out for a day trip and drag it around the local area, practice parking in the local grocery store parking lot and maybe head down a nearby interstate or other high speed highway. Also try a few less than exemplary roads. You know, the ones that have potholes the size of a Volkswagen. That way you will find out how to store things in the trailer so they stay put and find out if the bearings, brakes (if installed) and tires are up to the task.

After that experience try a short (i.e. overnight) trip to a nearby campground or state park, especially if you can spend time in one that is near a grocery store and hardware store. Continue with the list. Finally, after a couple of short trips, head out for your great adventure.

There is a learning curve to towing and living in a trailer. I know that several folks posting on this site have started a long trip the day after picking up a new (or new to them) trailer but I'll bet most of them have had some experience prior to that trip. Besides, as you mentioned, you plan to take a friend and her two children so you've added to your responsibilities.

Best of luck in your planning and keep asking questions. There is a lot of "corporate knowledge" available on this site.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Well, let's see you're in my old stomping grounds. I think a trip to [b]Hungry Mother State Park would be in order. It was one of our favorites in High School mainly, I think to be able to say we camped the "Hungry Mother," but it is a nice park and not too far from you.

Hungry Mother State Park

PS. If you go they have a sign at the entrance that you must take a photo op with, because no on will believe you that there is a Hungry Mother State Park.

Quote:
The Legend of Hungry Mother

Legend has it that when the Native Americans destroyed several settlements on the New River south of the park, Molly Marley and her small child were among the survivors taken to the raiders' base north of the park. They eventually escaped, wandering through the wilderness eating berries. Molly finally collapsed, and her child wandered down a creek until the child found help. The only words the child could utter were "Hungry Mother." The search party arrived at the foot of the mountain where Molly collapsed to find the child's mother dead. Today that mountain is Molly's Knob, and the stream is Hungry Mother Creek.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote