Whew! What t a trip! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Cool

Just got back Sat. night. All seven of us (myself, wife, 4 grand sons and 1 grand daughter) with a 16' Scamp. Left Ky and stopped at St. Louis Arch, Pikes Peak, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, and Badlands to name a few. We got on the AAA dotted roads once we got in the area and we saw an awful lot. What a great country we have!
Could not have had better weather. Only hot the first night in St Louis and never cold enough to have a heater.
Several times set up a tent for the 4 boys but most of the time they slept together in the back of the Suburban while the wife and I and grand daughter slept in the Scamp. Worked out real well.
Glad to have the DVD player in the truck for the long haul thru Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and the like where there was not much to entertain them but we had a blast! Lots of work to keep them fed and somewhat clean but I don't think they'll ever forget this trip. Now it's time to rest at work. Took over 700 pictures and several hours of movies and hope to post some later.
Happened upon Beaver Lake campground near Mt. Rushmore and spent two nights. Owner told me that there had been a gathering of Casitas there a few months ago. Nice place.
Scamp and truck worked almost flawlessly through all the bumpy roads. One big complaint. That bed is just not big enough for two tall people. Hate to do it but thinking we be looking for a Casita for more bed width.
Also one question--- what causes one of my bearings to be throwing grease out on the wheel? Do I have a bad seal? How do I tell? As I understand, there are two seals. I have Al-ko axle. Still--- made it home just fine and not much considering the abuse we gave it. Now it's time to clean.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Bad seal, don't even try to figure out which one, just replace them all including other
side I congradulate you for having that many grandkids camping with you, We just had our dau, son in law and 3 grandkids at the house for 10 days, and I'd love to take the gkids on a trip but not all at the same time. Its nice to see the headlights coming up the driveway but it also nice to see the tailights go down the road after a long visit
Old 06-30-2006, 06:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
.......but I don't think they'll ever forget this trip.
You've got that right! And you know what...neither will you. And I mean that in the nicest sense. While we all look forward to the future, it's the great memories of the past that warm our hearts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My grandparents drug us across the desert "Look at that rock!" oh, nice gramma.. thanks.

You win the brave award.. thats a LOT of kids!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I DO bow down to you for taking the grandkids!!! WOW You are THE gods of the grandparents!!!

VERY exciting trip you took there.

Hey don't feel bad about wanting more room- we couldn't sleep in the same little bed in our Scamp, either- we use the "sofa" bed too- can't both sleep in the dinette bed. But wow you guys did it! Amazing.

Bless you!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote