WHIDBEY ISLAND, WA, hosts CHARLENE, DENNIS & LUNA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Hello Pacific Northwesterners... For those of you who know Dennis & Charlene and their retriever, Luna, just letting you know that they've picked up their beautiful brandy-new 21ft BIG FOOT in BC, Canada.

Now they're enjoying a nice road trip as they meander on south to return to their home in Eugene, OR. Yesterday they overnighted at our home in Langley on Whidbey Island. Here are some fun pix of the happy couple with their new rig. It's a beauty all right! and we wish Charlene, Dennis and Luna all the best in their new fiberglass RV! They are lovin' it!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/HEATHGAL/BIG_FOOT_JUNE08

Tomorrow we're headed to Deception Pass State Park on the north end of Whidbey, if any of you are going to be there, we're in #10.

WEATHER: sunbreaks, dry and mild
GAS: $4.50/gal
EGGS: $3.50/doz for farm-fresh
MILK: $2.50 half gallon

Happy cramping to all...
xoxo
Sharen & Simon
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Tomorrow we're headed to Deception Pass State Park on the north end of Whidbey, if any of you are going to be there, we're in #10.
I wish I could, but headed out Sunday on a week trip (non-camping or driving, unfortunately) so will be busy. I hope the weather behaves!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #3

PAYING IT FORWARD
As it turns out, we decided not to go cramping this weekend, despite knowing we'd have to forfeit the money - $57.00 - a 2-day reservation I'd made on-line last May with WA state parks.

Still, I wondered, couldn't we "pay it forward," keep the booking but just give it to someone else?
So I telephoned the park directly to say we weren't coming, but that I'd like them to give - to donate our site at n/c - to the next folks who come in without a reservation.

At first I spoke to the ranger at the "front desk" who said she couldn't do that, but she thought it was a nice gesture. So I asked to speak with the park manager, explaining the same and giving him my booking #.

He said he CAN do that and thanked me for our generosity!!! So a little perserverance paid off. The next folks who roll into Deception Pass State Park without a reservation will get our site for free!

Now I feel better about the money!

I post this in the spirit of FYI.
It's gratifying to know that a state government parks agency is not so ornery as to fail to respond to a simple act of kindness.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What a nice gesture. Today I drove through Tim Hortons, a coffee outlet, and the person behind me purchased my coffee. I do it periodically, it gives me pleasure to purchase a cup of coffee for the stranger infront of my car, but now I know how much pleasure it gives the person I am purchasing coffee for.

What goes round comes round.

Well done.

Quote:
PAYING IT FORWARD
As it turns out, we decided not to go cramping this weekend, despite knowing we'd have to forfeit the money - $57.00 - a 2-day reservation I'd made on-line last May with WA state parks.

Still, I wondered, couldn't we "pay it forward," keep the booking but just give it to someone else?
So I telephoned the park directly to say we weren't coming, but that I'd like them to give - to donate our site at n/c - to the next folks who come in without a reservation.

At first I spoke to the ranger at the "front desk" who said she couldn't do that, but she thought it was a nice gesture. So I asked to speak with the park manager, explaining the same and giving him my booking #.

He said he CAN do that and thanked me for our generosity!!! So a little perserverance paid off. The next folks who roll into Deception Pass State Park without a reservation will get our site for free!

Now I feel better about the money!

I post this in the spirit of FYI.
It's gratifying to know that a state government parks agency is not so ornery as to fail to respond to a simple act of kindness.
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What a nice gesture Sharen and Simon! What goes around, comes around. May you have someone paying it forward to you someday soon.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thats so nice of you guys!!! Gee what a surprise for someone when they pull into camp!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #7

To Greg, Donna and Christi... Thanks for your affirmations.

Our experience has been that "camping small" - years ago in our tent, then in a VW Westfalia, our Rialta, and most recently in our Casita - inspires connectedness and generosity. One morning parked along the high bank and looking out over the majestic Pacific in Rockport, CA, a man came over with a piping hot fry pan full of fresh fish he'd just caught. He and the Mrs couldn't eat them all, would we like some? he inquired. Hot diggity! Then there was the time in the wooded campgrounds above Mendocino... a fresh plate of grilled and buttered abalone appeared at out picnic table just as we were scratching our heads wondering what we'd make for dinner. The divers in the campsite next door had eaten their fill and wondered if we were hungry!

Over the years, so many nice gestures have come our way that "paying it forward" really is a pay back for past kindnesses from others. Yes, what goes round comes round - one of the nicest qualities of "camping small."

Old 06-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite / Suburban
That is so awesome you guys, talk about good karma.

Mailie & Wayne
Mailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it to Deception Pass, Sharen and Simon. How generous of you to donate your site. The rest of you might know that Sharen and Simon have the most incredible spot in Langley. The views were spectacular and the company warm and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed our time together and look forward to seeing you both at the Oregon Gathering.

We were able to catch the Port Townsend ferry with 10 minutes to spare. We had a wonderful day meandering down the coast. We spent our last night at Beverly Beach on the Oregon coast and arrived home this evening. Beautiful weather and great people all along the way.

We will share more soon.

hugs,
Charlene
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #10

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Dennis and Charlene - Congrats - what a beautiful trailer -can't wait to see it!

Sharen and Simon - you guys are great! what a fantastic (and generous) idea.

Dave & Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #11

Thanks Dave and Kathie,

We hope to see you in Bandon. Hopefully we'll bring our bikes again. Your suggestions at the last NOG were great. It was such a wonderful trail along the river.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #12

We are home now and thought that you might want to know about what a beautiful spot Sharen and Simon have. Attached is a photo taken from their back yard. The next two photos show Simon at work with his "skookum" leveling log. It worked wonders. Simon is also very handy at the grill! Sharen made tasty salads and a good time was had by all. Salud!

Name:   DSC_0319.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  41.5 KB
Attached Images