Winter camping in NY/Vt/NH/ME - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Winter camping in NY/Vt/NH/ME

I have been contemplating going camping Thanksgiving week. Having a choice to either cook or eat at nearby restaurant would be nice. I have searched using Campingroadtrip.com and found several "open all year" cg's.
However upon contact they may have electric available, but no water, no heated bath's and their lodges are closed for season.
I envisioned camping at a deserted site, snow falling, having electric, cable, wifi, and water with my heated hose. If I wanted to not cook, being able to mosey over to the ski lodge for some warm libation and food and sitting in front of the massive fireplace watching it snow. Heated showers/bath facility nearby.
Does such a place exist, other than in my dreams? Maybe I should change my search to ski lodges that allow camping?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I sure haven't found what you are looking for! I'm surprised by the number of Adirondack campgrounds that close down before the end of the fall color change. While there are a few that are open, all I know of have shut down their water systems...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jim, in these parts the ski hills that have campsites more often than not shut off the water supply as well but they normally have bathrooms and shower houses left open. They will have some sites with heated pads and water lines but often those are reserved well in advance by people who are staying for more than a few days.

If the water tank is inside the trailer and you are using the heater its not the problem but the grey & black located outside can be - have seen everything from heat pads to heat tape temporarily attached to outside tanks to prevent them from freezing.

The more common approach I have seen used at ski hills with our small trailers is if its only going into serious freezing levels at night is people use portable totes to drain off the tanks and dump them late in the day and add some anti freeze into their grey & black tanks to protect them at night. Even though the anti freeze is deleted by a little bit of water left in the tanks unless its going below minus 20 & your not moving the trailer for more than a few days you shouldnt have a problem just using the drain it to a tote approach.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Here in Vt the state parks are open to visitors but gated and all facilities shut down after Oct. 14. With a frost depth of 4 ft., running water is unlikely at any campground. They will have shut the water off by then to avoid frozen pipes.

Last winter there were some hardy folks who posted about camping at Rasberry Crossing (NFS) on the eastern side of the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire. Pit toilets and a hand pump. While the Kancamagus is open year round, pulling a trailer over at that time of year might be an adventure. True for any of the passes.

There is a good chance for a little snow and with it sanded/salted roads. You will want to wash the underside of you trailer when you get home.

Finally, Thanksgiving weekend is the last weekend of rifle season so leave your deer costume at home. Raz

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ire-44711.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Blackberry Crossing not Rasberry
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote