winter driving - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Cyndi B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Posts: 1,105
Registry
We pulled our first 13' Scamp home from the factory in a snowstorm. Ran into it just north of Rochester about an hour from home. Not exciting. Our first time moving home from Montana ran into a snowstorm pulling a 8 foot Uhaul between Dickinson and Bismark, ND. Cars in ditches, semis blasting past us, white outs. My husband was making the comment that 4 wheel drive on the interstate is useless but a few seconds later retracted that statement when the Tundra told him she was sliding. Not fun.
__________________

__________________
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,029
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Winter driving with a trailer - A really great reason for having brakes on the trailer.
__________________

__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Cari and i will be out again this winter camping as usual, though this will be our first season towing with the AWD van. I do realize that as we have a trailer in the loop again (first time was w/our 4x4 Taco + Aliner) i will need to pick up chains for both rigs for rare situations only...as we have no intention of being out when there is a possibility of snow in camp.

just a ramble...If we go out in the AWD Van only we can drive right on through the "Chains Required" area as our AWDrig+mt.stamped tires qualify for passage. And since the van can do all (eat/sleep/shower) we would pass on towing if we _must_ be somewhere and overnight.

...more ramble...Rain? We love it and will snuggle inside either rig and listen to the rain on the roof and enjoy ourselves. A walk in a forest after rain is one of our favorite things. And as hinted by another, we would rather camp in the mild-cold than deal with hot-summer camping (not that we have that in Oregon!).

Safe travels,
Thom
Picking up chains is a good idea. In case you didn't know it from Nov 1 to April 15, I believe are the dates the law says you must carry chains even with 4 wheel drive vehicle in snow zones. I have chains for my 4x4 truck and chains for the trailer that in 5 years have never been on the tires.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Thanks for the Oregon specific info Byron.
Yup, i know i should do the dastardly deed and pick them up just cuz
Though in 35 years of driving in Cali/Nevada/Oregon i've never used chains even though driving in "Snow Zones"...guess i've been spoiled with all the AWD Volvos and similar in the family. The only time i was questioned was once when driving a 4x4 truck (all the Volvos (and our Van one trip to Mt.Hood) they just waved on by).

ramble. . . My _snow driving_ story from the only time i was told i needed chains:

I was driving over Donner Pass (HWY 80 Ca/Nv) during a snowstorm in my brand new 1982 Toyota 4x4 mini truck with winter tires on (w/chains just in case). I was heading home to Reno from a week of work in No.Cal...still dressed in my office/biz suit. I pulled off at the Truckee exit to fuel up and grab a cup of coffee (~9pm ish)...

When i went to get back on the highway a state trooper stopped me and suggested i turn around as there was about a foot of new snow on the roadway (gee i already new that, i just exited ~30 minutes before!). I told him i'd just gotten gas and coffee and rode this commute from Sacramento to Reno every Monday & Friday and knew the conditions and road well. He said if i could make it up the on-ramp i was free to go the rest of the way...oh, PS he never said/suggested needed chains, he simply put out the challenge of getting safely up the on-ramp. Crazy? yea, maybe...

I said thanks, put it in high 4, and waved him good-night... an hour later i was pulling up in our driveway in Reno... I think fresh snow on a road is easy driving. ICE? Not so much!

Cheers,
Thom
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Thanks for the Oregon specific info Byron.
Yup, i know i should do the dastardly deed and pick them up just cuz
Though in 35 years of driving in Cali/Nevada/Oregon i've never used chains even though driving in "Snow Zones"...guess i've been spoiled with all the AWD Volvos and similar in the family. The only time i was questioned was once when driving a 4x4 truck (all the Volvos (and our Van one trip to Mt.Hood) they just waved on by).

ramble. . . My _snow driving_ story from the only time i was told i needed chains:

I was driving over Donner Pass (HWY 80 Ca/Nv) during a snowstorm in my brand new 1982 Toyota 4x4 mini truck with winter tires on (w/chains just in case). I was heading home to Reno from a week of work in No.Cal...still dressed in my office/biz suit. I pulled off at the Truckee exit to fuel up and grab a cup of coffee (~9pm ish)...

When i went to get back on the highway a state trooper stopped me and suggested i turn around as there was about a foot of new snow on the roadway (gee i already new that, i just exited ~30 minutes before!). I told him i'd just gotten gas and coffee and rode this commute from Sacramento to Reno every Monday & Friday and knew the conditions and road well. He said if i could make it up the on-ramp i was free to go the rest of the way...oh, PS he never said/suggested needed chains, he simply put out the challenge of getting safely up the on-ramp. Crazy? yea, maybe...

I said thanks, put it in high 4, and waved him good-night... an hour later i was pulling up in our driveway in Reno... I think fresh snow on a road is easy driving. ICE? Not so much!

Cheers,
Thom
We just to head up to go X-C skiing in the winter first with front wheel drive then 4X4. I did have a police man that driving the opposite direction slow be down long enough to see that my then front wheel drive had studded tires on. I've never been question about chains, but have always complied with chain laws and carried chains. I figure it cheaper than a ticket also there's this thing call "conditional closure" where no matter what you're driving or tires chains are required. It would be kind of awkward to get on the other side of the mountains and not get home because you didn't have chains with you.

Enjoy winter camping. There's lots of neat low level camping opportunities in Oregon between the valley and coast.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
accrete's Avatar
 
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Posts: 1,015
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
...It would be kind of awkward to get on the other side of the mountains and not get home because you didn't have chains with you.
For sure. & I will pick up those chains : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Enjoy winter camping. There's lots of neat low level camping opportunities in Oregon between the valley and coast.
Yuppers. Also some easy pickin's on the coast from Cape Disappointment just over the bridge into Long Beach and down to the Trask River area in Tillamook (dispersed federal and state land camping for free!)

Thom
__________________
Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm curious how the chains on the braked trailer axle would actually work. If the wheel is stopped with bare tire on the ground and chain either side, what good would that do?
Seems to me that chains are good to get going on a drive wheel, but wouldn't accomplish much on braking.
Glenn if you towing on a road with a packed snow and some ice under it & you have chains only on the tug it will stop but there is the chance the trailer without chains on the braking axle will do a figure eight around you or I guess they would call it a half spin in the figure skating world :-)

I actually just made the leap from my fabulous in the snow full time all wheel drive Subaru to a 4x4 truck which I love but I already know I am gong to have a love hate relationship with it each winter which doesnt thrill me... once you have driven a great snow vehicle its always hard to go backwards... I am hope thats just figurative speech rather than reality.
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vin


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving thru Colorado cpaharley2008 Camping, Campout Reports 18 05-26-2012 12:25 PM
Driving School Q and A Benita Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 1 04-24-2008 09:34 PM
Warning Driving in El Paso, TX Adrian W General Chat 6 04-24-2008 06:48 PM
Driving With Gas On or Off? dkdavies Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 08-14-2007 05:32 AM

» Trailer Showcase

Birki2

LauraW

Bigfoot

40bpm
» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.