Worst National Park for Dogs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Not everyone is a good parent either. Shall we have a no children policy. Of course not. For many our pets are family. There will always be bad characters and I have no trouble with them being fined but a little tolerance and compromise is far better than punishing the responsible ones as well.
I understand proper affection for pets but despite what some would like to believe, children are not pets and "Fur Kids" are not children.

In some of our National Parks, pets would attract predators which would harm both the pet and its owner. I have been to fiberglass rallies where the pets may have outnumbered the participants.
Most are as you say responsible.
Look Here...

http://www.gopetfriendlyblog.com/bes...ational-parks/
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
We are planning a trip Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore this summer. We planned on taking out dog, a 6 year old Border Collie. After reading the restrictions in the National Parks we decided to have her stay with my parents while we are gone. I understand why the NP restrict access. On interesting thing I read was a dog can actually be an attractant to a bear, wold or big cat to provoke an attack. They see dogs (all sizes) as competition for food.

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In some of our National Parks, pets would attract predators which would harm both the pet and its owner.
I have heard this suggested many a time before Floyd, but in my experience the opposite is true. I have spent many hundreds of nights in the backcountry smack in the middle of bear, wolf, cougar and lynx country, almost always with at least one dog, and have never once seen any indication that this is the case. In fact, our dogs I am positive have more than once scared away predators, from the big dangerous ones, to the small ones looking to get into our food packs.

It could be most of the dogs we were with were at least mid-sized, 35 lbs and up, so don't look as attractive as a snack as those wee yappy ones.

But, as I said, if any trip will be into US National Parks, my dog will stay home with family and friends, and still have fun.

In most places in Canadian National Parks, dogs are allowed on leash. There are a few popular trails where they now are not, but given the dynamics, I am good with that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #24
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Just to clear up a misunderstanding, there is no no dog policy in the National parks. To the best of my knowledge dogs are allowed in all our National parks and in the campgrounds too. In fact someone reported the other day that some parks, like Shenandoah in the east, allow pets on many trails. It's the lack of a place to excersize the dog thats my concern. A well exercised dog makes a far better neighbor. Unfortunately there are few if any humans that can tire a dog that's tied to a 6 foot leash. Many town parks have installed dog parks where owners can go to exercise their dogs. As I said earlier, National parks are the only place where I have been told flat out no. Most places direct you to a place where you can excersize the dog without bothering anyone. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Google is your friend. National Parks, Dogs... by Park
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #26

Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Yes Carl. Let's put the civil back in civilization. Don't abandon it just because we are in wilderness.
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #27

Name: Matt
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
In 50 years of camping I have been annoyed by more generators than either dogs or children.
Totally agree.
TheRedDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #28

Name: Gordon
Idaho
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
What you didn't do was read and understand the rules that our National Parks have concerning pets.
If you don't like the rules nobody is twisting your arm to go there. If you go you can expect to need to follow the rules. If you don't like the rules don't go.

I have to respond.

How do you know what I read and what I don't? I said in an earlier post in this thread that I understand the rules and I follow them. Apparently, you're not reading what I say. When I went to Zion, I didn't know what to expect. I found out when I got there. Not even sure I had internet at the time. If I recall correctly, the explanation was that dogs would upset the wildlife. Putting my rescue dog in a kennel would be cruel. Since then, I limit myself to Parks that have a lot of road access to spectacular scenery, like Yellowstone. We'll take our walks in the national forests, which is where we spend most of our time anyway. I've seen beautiful places in the forests where declaring them a "Park" would ruin them.

You're correct. No one is "twisting my arm" to go visit "our" national treasures. It's just a shame to blame all dogs for some bad humans.

You're correct again. I don't like the rules, but I Do follow them. I choose to accept limited access to the parks, for the companionship and unconditional love of my best friend.

nuff said

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #29

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
Right on Donna, Alot of pet owners Don't pick up after their dog Or allow them to wander up to people unleashed.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #30

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I don't think it is asking too much to expect folks traveling with pets to find out about the policies of parks you plan to visit before you go.
In Arches last year many campers left their dogs in tents, trailers and motor homes while they went on the very spectacular hikes. The din these neglected pups made while their people were gone was sometimes unbelievable! This is one park that forbids dogs on the trails.
Sometimes it would be great if there was doggy day care nearby!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
I have to respond.

How do you know what I read and what I don't? I said in an earlier post in this thread that I understand the rules and I follow them. Apparently, you're not reading what I say. When I went to Zion, I didn't know what to expect. I found out when I got there. Not even sure I had internet at the time. If I recall correctly, the explanation was that dogs would upset the wildlife. Putting my rescue dog in a kennel would be cruel. Since then, I limit myself to Parks that have a lot of road access to spectacular scenery, like Yellowstone. We'll take our walks in the national forests, which is where we spend most of our time anyway. I've seen beautiful places in the forests where declaring them a "Park" would ruin them.

You're correct. No one is "twisting my arm" to go visit "our" national treasures. It's just a shame to blame all dogs for some bad humans.

You're correct again. I don't like the rules, but I Do follow them. I choose to accept limited access to the parks, for the companionship and unconditional love of my best friend.

nuff said

Gordon
I commend you for following the rules. It's good to do that, it sets a good example for other dog owners.
I've been to at least 9 maybe more National Parks and all have about the same rules concerning pets.
I've been to hundreds of National Forest campgrounds, same rules.
I've backpacked on hundreds of National Forest trails, but the rules there are close, restraint is almost always the rule.
We've had some close calls due to dogs off leash. Fortunately nothing really bad happened, but it sure came close a couple of times.
I've also been bitten and if one dog had been off leash I would probably be dead.
I've met a lot of nice dogs, well behaved, but there were almost always on leash.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #32

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
I would prefer Children be banned before animals. At the very least have leash laws for kids and some way to muzzle them. I have had more trips, dinners, hikes and lazy days ruined by out of control kids than dogs.
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #33

Idaho
Registry
Quote:
I commend you for following the rules. It's good to do that, it sets a good example for other dog owners.
I've been to at least 9 maybe more National Parks and all have about the same rules concerning pets.
I've been to hundreds of National Forest campgrounds, same rules.
I've backpacked on hundreds of National Forest trails, but the rules there are close, restraint is almost always the rule.
We've had some close calls due to dogs off leash. Fortunately nothing really bad happened, but it sure came close a couple of times.
I've also been bitten and if one dog had been off leash I would probably be dead.
I've met a lot of nice dogs, well behaved, but there were almost always on leash.

Thanks, Byron.

I always keep my dog on leash, partly to respect the rights of others, but it's mostly for Her protection. She thinks that every human she sees is a friend she hasn't met yet. I don't want her to find out the hard way that humans can be mean, nor do I want anyone to be frightened of her. I don't walk into someone's campsite uninvited. And I won't let her do that, either.
I have seen many dogs off-leash in campgrounds, but, so far, most have been very "glued" to their humans. I've heard horror stories, though.
I've been bitten, too, long ago. Wasn't nice at all.

Gordon
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #34

Idaho
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
I would prefer Children be banned before animals. At the very least have leash laws for kids and some way to muzzle them. I have had more trips, dinners, hikes and lazy days ruined by out of control kids than dogs.
I don't know about kids on leash with muzzles. I'm not gonna go there.
But, I think a lot of parents feel that "family friendly" means letting your kids run around anywhere, while you ignore them. No.

Gordon
Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #35

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Where I live, "off-leash" is the rule. Leashed is the exception. I'm on the trails twice a day, every day of the year that I'm in town. Only issues I've ever run into where dog-on-dog issues, never dog-human, and 99% of the worst of those worked themselves out with nothing more than half-hearted "bite", that wasn't meant to hurt, only to make a point.

Problem with dogs in human society is that dogs work things out by snarling, snapping, and if it comes to it, fighting. Even if you, as a human, do something to them they really don't like, biting is the appropriate dog-response. I think we take it for granted just how good most of our dogs are, to not be biting us, mostly lightly, fairly regularly to get their point across. Unfortunately for them, to live in our society means they can't bite. Even understanding all this, I know that if my dog were to bite someone, even if that person was the one out of line, my dog takes the blame. And if it happens enough, he gets put down.

National parks...I avoid them more because of the people than the dog rules, so the dog rules don't bother me much.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
Actually, I have had more activities spoiled by out-of-control adults than either kids or dogs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #37

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
Everyone has made good points here and I hope all will part friends. One thing I have noticed is many campgrounds, however, is that for me (and my opinion only) the sight and sound of loud televisions is much more annoying than a barking dog. I look at a barking dog just as I do at a crying baby in a restaurant - if there is no abuse occurring and if I am not responsible for the dog or child, I ignore it. But we all have our pet peeves, and televisions in a campground is my pet peeve. I am always amazed at people who sit outside those huge RV things and watch TV on an outside screen on the side of the rig with the noise level up so "all can enjoy the game". Most amazing!
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #38

Registry
One more thing.

I'm going to point one more thing about dogs around people that aren't their own. There's a large number of people in this country that are diabetic. Dog bits can be very dangerous for a diabetic. A single dog bit on lower leg can be anything from uncomfortable to death. Infection in extremities is hard to treat and often leads to amputation, if not treated early can lead to death. Even the most gentle dog can suddenly turn and bite. So please be careful.

To those that always keep their dog on a leash, thank you. Your local diabetic thanks you.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #39

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
I'm going to point one more thing about dogs around people that aren't their own. There's a large number of people in this country that are diabetic. Dog bits can be very dangerous for a diabetic. A single dog bit on lower leg can be anything from uncomfortable to death. Infection in extremities is hard to treat and often leads to amputation, if not treated early can lead to death. Even the most gentle dog can suddenly turn and bite. So please be careful.

To those that always keep their dog on a leash, thank you. Your local diabetic thanks you.

This has been enlightening. We'll be traveling with our two pug girls. My girls are blood-glucose alert dogs for me, a 5-shots-a-day insulin-dependent diabetic. Luckily, they don't have to alert me often, but when they do, I'm so relieved to have them nearby, usually standing as close to on top of me as they can get, barking at me.

They carry their own scoop bags in their service vests, along with the ADA rules, extra glucose tablets for me, and whatever else we may decide to bring for the day. They are NOT allowed off leash except in a motel room or inside our trailer; and we ALWAYS scoop.

Wasn't aware of any particular dog rules in national parks, BUT if keeping the dogs on leashes and off trails are the rules, that's fine with us. Being small pugs, leashed walks are fine for them.

Now I'm going to go back up this thread, check out the link, and read all those NP rules!
Old 04-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

I too have a diabetic niece who is now in her early 20's, and they have always had a dog. I have never once heard reference to there being any potential danger, though they too are responsible pet owners, and I am more that happy to care for their dog if they need to go camping without it.

Byron, you show an obvious dislike to dogs, I am curious as to why. You seem to think every dog will bite, and that is just not true. I have had a dog my entire adult life, and none of them has once bitten anyone, nor another dog. I can't imagine my dog ever biting. Man, even if tormented terribly he may snap, but never bite.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen it happen, but it is very rare. Others have mentioned here, but in most cases what some take as biting, is just a warning, not meant to injure at all. I have seen WAY more people react in an aggressive manner than dogs.

I do not expect everyone to love dogs, even mine, though I do wonder why.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote