Worst National Park for Dogs - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #61

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxx View Post
Well no you can't take a Pet therapy certified dog places other than any dog can go except for nursing homes, hospitals and so on that have invited them to come. They are not service dogs. You can buy anything on the internet but a true pet therapy dog must be trained, tested, certified and insured.
Yeah the % DNA means nothing much but dogs are not just domesticated wolves.
Most dog problems are bad owners. Which includes poor training and poor or inappropriate breed selection for whatever task or environment the pet is expected to be exposed to. I would be willing to bet that "most" of these dogs involved in these aggressive attacks have a history of such and the owners are fully aware of potential problems but chose to ignore them.
Then these folks are wrong... I have no dog in the fight...

US Dog Registry - Service Dog Registration and Supplies

Service Dog Rules & Regulations | eHow
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #62

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2010 Casita SD
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't want to sidetrack this thread but I did look at the first site and they did describe a therapy dog much the same as I did. Perhaps you are confused on the certified part, hospitals, nursing homes , ect can I guess allow any dog to come in and call it a therapy dog themselves but most places require the dog to be certified and insured.
I did see where that site will apparently sell you a certificate for service, support, and therapy dogs without any proof that the dog was trained for such duty. Like the online Diplomas that are sold, guess if you can find someone that accepts them as real then they will work.
Most places I worked with in the past had a list of the pet therapy organizations that they accepted and I would never take my pet into such a place without having him insured. And you are not going to get him insured unless you have him trained and certified by a reputable organization.

It be interesting to know if anyone that has purchased one of these certificates actually got an airline to accept it.
Patxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #63

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patxx View Post
I don't want to sidetrack this thread but I did look at the first site and they did describe a therapy dog much the same as I did. Perhaps you are confused on the certified part, hospitals, nursing homes , ect can I guess allow any dog to come in and call it a therapy dog themselves but most places require the dog to be certified and insured.
I did see where that site will apparently sell you a certificate for service, support, and therapy dogs without any proof that the dog was trained for such duty. Like the online Diplomas that are sold, guess if you can find someone that accepts them as real then they will work.
Most places I worked with in the past had a list of the pet therapy organizations that they accepted and I would never take my pet into such a place without having him insured. And you are not going to get him insured unless you have him trained and certified by a reputable organization.

It be interesting to know if anyone that has purchased one of these certificates actually got an airline to accept it.
There is some confusion as to terms, and it is my fault. I did not use the term "therapy dog"...I used the term "pet as a therapist", somewhat cynically referring to emotional support animals. Subtlety and sarcasm are two things often lost in print, especially when attempting to combine the two. Please pardon the confusion.
IMO,Real service dogs do have a legitimate purpose, and it was not my intention to comment on "therapy dogs".
"Emotional support dogs" are apparently afforded most of the same privileges as "service dogs", though through different sanctions according to the quoted website.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote