Yellowstone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Yellowstone

Want to visit there in May.

Any ideas?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'm sure you will get many suggestions - mine is to set aside some time to get down to the Tetons. While Yellowstone is interesting, the Tetons are beautiful!

The last time I was there I stayed 1/2 way between the two parks at the Flagg RV Resort, Site 63. I don't recommend it unless you need hookups (20 amps only) since it is expensive at $64.00 per night and "resort" only in name.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Fantastic time to go, but be careful, Yellowstone is at almost 8000 feet. Many of the roads do not open until well into May. I was there 1st week of May several years ago, lots of snow, Old Faithful had just opened. Not sure what campgrounds were open, since we stayed in Livingston.

I wholeheartily agree with the comments on the Tetons. We also went mid September, and stayed at Colter Bay, and then moved north to Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone. It was the only one open at the time. Unless you need hock-ups, look elsewhere, it is a glorified parking lot.

I would bnot stay only in one place if you want to see both parks, that's a lot of driving.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Be sure and drive on Beartooth Highway, it has been described as one of the most spectacular drives, from Red Lodge, Mt to the NE Yellowstone Gate. Only 60 some miles long you will need at least 2 hours to see the views and take pictures.
Caution, both Beartooth and the northern park entrances may not be open until late May.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Having been there twice, my advice is to take your time! We stayed three days each time and there wasn't time to see and do nearly as much as we wanted. Its a BIG park.
Plus we had little time to see the Tetons and that was a shame. There is a lot to see and do and its a long ways.
Take your time! And have fun!
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I am with Jon on this - Grand Tetons!!!!! amazing and not nearly as many people.

While doing the Teton's I stayed at the National Elk refuge at the Gros Ventra campsite only a couple of miles out of Jackson Hole so you can do dinner and shopping there as well. Gros Ventra has two sections one with power sites and one without - stayed at the very end of the section with no power. Happy I did as there is an open area behind it and the flow of wildlife through it is amazing! Lots of elk, antelope and buffalo. Got up one morning to find a big moose sleeping beside the trailer. There are bathrooms with water at both sections in Gros Ventra but no showers in either - so bring a solar shower bag with you. I would not bother with making reservations there in May as it was half empty in July last year - talking with the park ranger they indicated that apparently a lot of people think that not having a shower facility is a bit to much roughing it! :-) They were actually just starting on some upgrades to the park while I was there - so they may have showers by next May but would not count on it.

I also agree with the comments on Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone - if I had to do it again I would not stay there. As said nothing but a very close quarter parking lot and you had better enjoy having your morning coffee and eating your dinner to the sound of lots of generators running if in the no power section there. Personally think going to one of the other campgrounds that is not totally set up for RV's is a better option. I also agree that staying in only one spot in Yellowstone for your whole stay is not such a great idea - to much daily driving - as suggested staying at two separate spots for doing either end of the park would be better. Oh and give yourself *lots* of days to do all of it - way to much to see!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Yellowstone is one of the places that you will never regret going to. Been several times and always want to go back.

In early May the critters will be migrating back to their summer grounds (higher up the mountains) and you will see a LOT of them. (I was there in late April one year - elk in the campgrounds!)

The hotsprings and pools should be at their most active when snows are melting, recharging water tables etc.

Cooler air inhibits picture-taking dues to huge amounts of steam

At that time of year you MAY be able to get into a park campground - otherwise West Yellowstone is nearby and has a LOT of campgrounds
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

California
I've been there in April and saw a lot of animals. I went back with my husband a couple years later in August and saw very few. So this year I want to spend more time there in the Spring.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I want to go!!!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #10

California
Let's coordinate times.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 1984
Plan to stay about 3-4 days and just tour around the park. Check out all the "hot" spots and then take a day and travell about 15 minutes west of the park and walk around the old ghost towns. They're great places for some photos.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Sept. 2010 camped at Grant Village for 9 nights, nice place but too far south for me. June 2011 stayed at a cabin at Canyon Village for 6 days, much better since it is more central. I wanted to photograph wildlife and that was ideal for a base. This was late June and they still had to close the east entrance a couple of times due to snow on the road (slides down the mountains). The road to the NE entrance got washed out by the Lamar River so that put an end to going out that way for the Beartooth highway. If you go in May be prepared for that sort of thing. On the plus side we saw lots of bears, black and Grizzly, with & with out cubs. They were all hungry and caused some jams. We were up and out of the cabin by about 5:30 am each day and got to see some before everyone else was up and about. We did go out the west entrance one day to West Yellowstone, fun place to visit.

In the park Fishing Bridge is the only one with hookups, you have to tote water at the others and use solar or generator to charge your battery. They do all have dump stations, toilets and showers & launrdries (coin operated).

I'm heading back this coming June and have already made reservations at Canyon Village campground. Will go from there down to the Tetons (probably Gros Ventre campground).

Obey the speed limits in the parks and be very careful. Some of the animals there are big and they can be right in the road or next to it and they have the right of way. One early morning in June we were headed south along Yellowstone lake and a big Grizzly boar ran out of the woods and crossed the road right in front of us. I hit the brakes and waited a few minutes. He stopped in the grove to my left and then he walked back across the road into the woods, as he crossed he looked right at the car. I was taking photos through the windshield. You just never know what might come out of the woods!
Jean Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #13

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
I grew up a couple of hours from Yellowstone (to us it was The Park) and have been there too many times to count. As others have said it is one of the most amazing places you will ever visit. The caution about snow and altitude should be noted. In May it will be cold at night, could snow and you may or may not be able to go over Beartooth. You can cross the continental divide multiple times while in the park. The suggestion about staying in West Yellowstone rather than in the park itself is a good suggestion. A fun tho touristy town w/ good food and shopping if that is your thing. Pay attention to the wild life caution. We talked to a Ranger a few years back who told us about a tragic incident with a tourist (foreign) who was trying to get a pic of his child on the back of a bison. As others have mentioned plan on spending time in the Tetons, the pass for Yellowstone includes Teton Nat'l park and Gros Ventre campground , as menbtioned rarely fills up and has lots of wildlife, the last time we were there they evacuated a bunch of tent campers in the middle of the night because of a moose running through some tents. Another reason to be happy to be in a trailer. If you have the time and inclination just east of the park in Cody Wy. is the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum with one of the best collections of contemporary western art, Buffalo Bill memorabilia and an amazing collection of fire arms from the blunder buss to contemporary. Allow two days because you cant see it all in one.Even having been to Yellowstone and surrounding area multiple times it is still one of my favorite places. Have fun!!!
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and there is a real nice KOA in Cody, Wy.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This is a NEW / Upgraded park with everything you would want.
Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park and Cabins

The town that it is in has very good restaurants and all the tourist stuff you could imagine. You can get your propane tanks filled up at the propane gas and propane accessories dealer at a savings over trading your tanks.

The Gate to the park is within a mile or 2 from the town.

If U R old enough, get your Golden Age card at the park gate so you will never have to pay to get into another national park again. It is good for everyone in your vehicle.

Join GOOD SAM to get your 10% discounts at all Good Sam recommended parks. I have been a Good Sam member for years and find that their discount is well worth the joining price. The joining price also includes discounts at Camping World (The Good Sam Owner).

We also belong to KOA.

I don't like any other camping clubs. I find that the others are just to limited in the parks where I want to stay and some have black-out periods for discounts and guess what - Blackouts are during vacation season.

DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
We talked to a Ranger a few years back who told us about a tragic incident with a tourist (foreign) who was trying to get a pic of his child on the back of a bison.
Saw lots of totally insane stuff like that last summer ... sadly shortly before I got to Yellowstone last summer a man had been killed by a grizzly and the area was still roped off. According to the park ranger the man and his wife decided it would be nice to take each others pictures with mamma grizzly and cub in it - kept going back and forth taking each others pictures close to the grizzly & cub - mamma grizzly indicated she did not like them being so close so she started to leave the area with the cub but the couple decided to follow her!!! She turned around and charged them grabbing the women by her backpack and throw her to the ground unhurt - that may well have been the end of it but the husband decided to run over and intervene- not a good idea. Thankfully park management decide that they would not kill the grizzle as a result of this as she had only done what was natural to her - protect her cub.

re Good Sam discounts. Many of the parks the give the discount also give it to people that have AAA or in my case BCAA memberships.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #17

I forgot to mention if you have the US. Seniors Pass (have to be 62) your camping fees in the park are 1/2 price and admission is free. There is a $25 fee good for 7 days in Yellowstone and the Tetons if you aren't 62.

Good cautions, the animals are wild, they are not tame, and they can move darn fast when they want to. They can also mosey down the middle of the road very slowly, and you have to allow that, it is their land and you are the interloper.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #18

More info

At each of the "villages" there is a general store, along with a couple of places to eat. You can get milk, soda, bread, a few fixin's but not a lot of other stuff. The dining usually is a diner sort of place and a much pricier sit-down-dinner place. There are also gas stations.

Cody is out the East entrance, and is 90 miles from Canyon Village, that is at least 2 hours drive time, probably more. There is a nice big Walmart there, though for stocking up before you go into the park.