Yellowstone campgrounds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #15
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Peter and I just got back from a week of dry camping (i.e. no hookups) at Yellowstone. We stayed at three different campgrounds for 2-3 days each then moved on to the next.

Norris Campground was our first stop. It is first come first serve, i.e. non-reservable. Flush toilets and dishwashing station, firewood and ice sales, but no showers or nearby stores. We stayed in B loop. C is very hilly, I think A loop would be the nicest due to the views and nearness to the meadow and creek. Norris is centrally located in the park. We had our first bison sightings there.

Next stop was Grant Campground. This campground is at the south end of the park and has good access to the geyser basin and lots of great hiking. The village (about 1/2 mile away) has groceries, food service, gas, ice cream (!), gifts, showers and laundry. We stayed in B loop because we wanted to use solar to power our lights, water pump and furnace fan. A,B, and C are the sunniest and nearest the entrance. Grant Campground sites can be reserved.

Our final stop was Mammoth Campground at the north end of the park. All sites are very sunny and rather close to the road. We got a nice site with a small shade tree away from the road. The Scamp maneuvered nicely into this tight site which the big units couldn't navigate Being Fall, we had elk wandering through the campground on a regular basis including a HUGE 12 point bull. Mammoth has the village services (groceries, gas, food, etc) nearby except for showers which are in Gardiner about 5 miles away.

I would have liked to stay in Canyon Campground on the east side of the park. It looked like a great place but it closes shortly after Labor Day. We went there to hike the north and south rim of the canyon -- awesome! Services are very similar to Grant Village / Campground.

Here are the web sites that I used to plan out which campgrounds we wanted to stay at and which to skip:
Overview Map:
Campground Details:
Scroll down this 2nd webpage to see a nice table comparing the services of each campground and then read the details below that. Ignore the dates of opening and closing -- those are from a couple years ago.

Hope that helps! <strike> If </strike> When we get back for another visit I'd like to stay at Canyon Campground and at Madison as well.

lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #16
Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
Hi Robin,
Thanks for the heads-up on the winder. I'll be sure to avoid it. Our plans are not finalized so far, I have a concert season to perform.
Ami and Alana

Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote