Yellowstone Nat Park Campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We are going to plan next summer around taking the Scamp and the kids to Yellowstone. Since I've heard you need to book those campgrounds pretty far in advance I wanted to get on it. I will provision a "Bear Flamethrower" per the Bear in Camper post.
Does anyone have experience the the Park campgrounds that can make some recommendations on which ones they'd go back to, etc. They are numerous, far apart, and cover different areas of the park so I'm a bit lost not having been there since I was a youngster.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A couple years ago (2004) we went to Yellowstone (PS-PreScamp). We camped at Norris and had no problems getting a camp site. We did arrive on a Tuesday two weeks before Labor Day. We stayed 3 nights I think. I did notice that the crowds got bigger closer the week-end.

From that experience I doubt you'd have much problem getting a place to camp early in the week, late in summer. From the website it appears that reservations are only at campgrounds run by a commercial venture.

We plan on going back in a couple years, and I'll avoid the commercial campgrounds since I don't need hookups.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
We stayed at Yellowstone for 1.5 weeks during late July in 2004. We had made reservations, and were glad that we did, as we found that every campsite was reserved, every night. Your experience may, of course, be different, depending on where you want to stay.

Where to stay: we chose River Bridge campground, with full hookup, close to the major lake in Yellowstone. It's location, close to the center of Yellowstone, allowed us to explore every part of Yellowstone through daytrips and day hikes. (We also took an excursion on the lake, which we didn't find very interesting).

I hope you will forgive the unsolicited advice, but do pay particular attention to staying on the paths --- Yellowstone is a beautiful but dangerous place.

Our best wishes for a wonderful time!
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
We stayed at Yellowstone for 1.5 weeks during late July in 2004. We had made reservations, and were glad that we did, as we found that every campsite was reserved, every night. Your experience may, of course, be different, depending on where you want to stay.

Where to stay: we chose River Bridge campground, with full hookup, close to the major lake in Yellowstone. It's location, close to the center of Yellowstone, allowed us to explore every part of Yellowstone through daytrips and day hikes. (We also took an excursion on the lake, which we didn't find very interesting).

I hope you will forgive the unsolicited advice, but do pay particular attention to staying on the paths --- Yellowstone is a beautiful but dangerous place.

Our best wishes for a wonderful time!
I think the key word here is "full hookup". I would believe that, and those sites are NOT run by the National Park Service. Park Service campgrounds are first come first serve.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #5

I was leaning towards River Bridge or Madison as they both seemed centrally located. Thanks for the input on River Bridge. The literature indicates that is the only in-park facility with hookups. Mammoth at the north entrance sounds interesting, but seems to be a far drive to everything else.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Last month, we spent 5 nights at the Fishing Bridge (not River Bridge) RV Park in Yellowstone. We were in space E176. It was beautiful! MAKE RESERVATIONS if you are planning on staying at Fishing Bridge. Be sure to bring a portable table (picnic tables are NOT furnished). NO campfires are allowed. Showers are $3.50 and get there early in the PM as they close at 10 pm. I paid $38.50 per night. Happy camping!
Don
don_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Beautiful park in the fall- I got to cycle through a herd of bison -What was I thinking
One caveat...if your route takes you out the Northeast exit -aka Beartooth Pass- be SURE to have a full tank of gas, leave EARLY, and check your trailer brakes first. An exciting ride (it's not an adventure while it's happening!) but you go over the top of Beartooth...above the clouds and into snow in the fall. She's a white knuckle downhill ride
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:55 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
We are going to plan next summer around taking the Scamp and the kids to Yellowstone. Since I've heard you need to book those campgrounds pretty far in advance I wanted to get on it. I will provision a "Bear Flamethrower" per the Bear in Camper post.
Does anyone have experience the the Park campgrounds that can make some recommendations on which ones they'd go back to, etc. They are numerous, far apart, and cover different areas of the park so I'm a bit lost not having been there since I was a youngster.
I was in Yellowstone this past summer (before July 4) and would suggest reservations for wherever you are planning. There is the informaton on the Park's website: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camp...yellowstone.htm.

You might also consider staying outside the park for some of your visit. We spent some time in Teton National Park, at Gros Ventre campground. Lots of sites usually available. We saw some Casitas and other trailers there. Coulter Bay and Flagg Ranch for RVs... http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/camp...m#CP_JUMP_31296

Oh, yes! They take bear safety quite seriously. Many restrictions on what can be left in camp: http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/bearsafety.htm
Don Jarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We stayed in our 13' Burro in 2006 at the Fishing Bridge Campground in Yellowstone. We were surrounded by "bulge-mobiles", some with extra tow vehicles for their other toys (ATVs, motorbikes, etc.). Having the water and electricity was really nice and the bathrooms were clean and close by. (We didn't have a battery or on-board water in our Burro - just a porta-potti.) It was a good site for getting around the park, since we took day trips to every corner over the course of our 5 day stay. Didn't see any bears, but we were warned about them. We did see a great snowshoe rabbit near our Burro! It was kind of funny - the owners of the big rigs didn't bother to even stop and say hello to us smaller campers. Some didn't even leave their rigs, at least that we could tell. When we camp with other fiberglass folks, everyone comes around to talk. Must be something about driving a 60'behemoth that causes them to be anti-social.

When we get back to Yellowstone, this is the site we'll use again, just for the convenience of the location. I made our reservations in April for camping in late July (2006).
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
We have stayed at Fishing Bridge. It is full hook-up, but a congested parking lot style.

An option you may want to consider is staying at Grand Teton to the south! We stayed at Colter Bay, and found it just great!

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #11

I just made our Reservations for Yellowstone Park in July. Decided on Grant Village on the lake as it looked fairly close to Old Faithful Inn and had some facilities. Got 6 nites and there didn't seem to be a big issue with availability.

One upside to the price of gas is that it might slow down some of the maddening crowds that have existed at these parks the last ten years. Couple years back you used to have to make these reservations 6 mos to a year out to get any space.

We're going to attempt to stay out and wander the entire month of July if it works out. This is the only reservation I'm making, so the rest will be an adventure. The kids are 5 and 8 so this will hopefully be a summer they'll never forget.

Here we come Yogi!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Greg;

I'm sure you'll have a blast. I remember our fist vacation to the States when I was 10. We went down the west coast highway a little at a time to Cresent City CA, and then through the interior (Crater Lake etc.) back home. A few years later, the Alaska earthquake tidal wave wiped out most of the motels we stayed at!

Just a note, our fall 2006 trip to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone photos are in the link below.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/554555099aBBjRw

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Greg,

I think you are correct, with Yellowstone far enough out of the way that visitors are apt to not go due to gas prices. I would imagine that would hold true for Glacier Nat'l Park as well. If I were you I'd head up there as it's not that much further than Yellowstone. Or, maybe swing east to Rushmore before heading back south.

My trip this summer is to the contrary as far as reservations go. Since I'll be in the Great Lakes states and it's just a couple hundred miles or so from most cities to their furthest State Parks, save the UP, I've made reservations just about everywhere. I can't imagine folks won't have enough $'s to go a couple hundred miles and back. My non-reservation areas are on the to and from routes where there is less population and more distance.

You folks have a great time. Yellowstone is just wonderful. Be careful of the hot pools with your little kids.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #14

Victor,
Pics were great thanks for posting them. Can't wait. Kids are asking the Bear questions now...

Joy,
We were thinking Glacier might be awesome after Yellowstone. I used to overnite a lot in Kalispell and just loved it. I think we may take ur suggestion and go that way. Thanks. You be safe in your travels, looks like you are going to cover some ground. I'll bet ur right on the closer to home parks that aren't far from the city.....
Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 76 Boler
Haven't been there myself yet - so we'll be borrowing advice from this thread - but we booked a site at the Madison campground for June 29th, so if anyone is going to be there then, stop by!
Tracy & Gaenor Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Used to live in Idaho Falls. Last time I was to the park, we saw elk and bear and a one-legged grouse....
You all say hi to Yellowstone and the Tetons for me!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
Yellowstone is an awesome place to visit and I'm sure all of you coming this way will have a great time. Come to the park knowing that you won't be alone and you'll have fun. Luckily the park is filled with people just like you -- excited to see the fantastic thermal features, the beautiful rivers and the wildlife.

So far the motels in Cody (outside of the east entrance) are reporting their reservations are holding steady, even with the high gas prices. The east entrance road is now construction free for the first time in years and recent work in the park has greatly improved the worst patches of road such as the one over Dunraven Pass.

Take time to get away from the parking lots and main sites, if possible. Even a short walk down one of the many trails will leave most of the crowds behind.

Enjoy yourselves.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:38 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

We have been twice, Fishing Bridge in '86 the first time and Grant Village around '90 the last time, liked Grant Village the best of the two. Next time, I believe I'd go Canyon Village. We have always took our chances on first come, first servered and would try that again. I would love to go again. Not sure when.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #19

Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Quote:
Haven't been there myself yet - so we'll be borrowing advice from this thread - but we booked a site at the Madison campground for June 29th, so if anyone is going to be there then, stop by!

Excuse my ignorance but I am looking at a late summer trip to the Yellowstone park and was wondering what the term Full hook ups mean?

Many of the campgrounds inside the park clearly say - NO FULL HOOK UPS

Does that simply mean that they do not have big amp service and sewer service?

I want to take my Egg and meet friends of ours from Calgary and they are brining their egg and we both do want to have sites that simply have electricity. We could care less about water or sewer hook ups.

ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote