Yellowstone weather in Sept/Oct - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Has anyone had any experience in travelling to Yellowstone in late September early October? We are going to be in Essex, Montana in early October and are thinking of going to Yellowstone as well. Husband, Roger, is going to a railfan get together so I will be on my own with our two Brittanys for a few days in Essex so hope the weather is good enough to be out and about. If anyone has any advice on autumn in Yellowstone I would love to benefit from it so thanks in advance.
Rosemary Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience in travelling to Yellowstone in late September early October? We are going to be in Essex, Montana in early October and are thinking of going to Yellowstone as well. Husband, Roger, is going to a railfan get together so I will be on my own with our two Brittanys for a few days in Essex so hope the weather is good enough to be out and about. If anyone has any advice on autumn in Yellowstone I would love to benefit from it so thanks in advance.
These temps are based on 48 year average.

Sept. Max - 67.8 Low - 37.0

Oct. Max - 55.7 Low - 29.4

When traveling to Yellowstone this time of year you will always need to be prepared for cooler weather and possiblility of freezing conditions the closer to Oct. you get.

September is great time due to less people in the park.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Rosemary, check when the cg's close for the seaseon. We stayed there in '99 in Sept.(eastern entrance) and they were getting ready to shut down for winter.The water feed to each site is above ground due to rocky terrain and freezing comes early!
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape
Thanks Kent and Alistair for your tips. I am a little leary of the weather but we do have cold weather wear so may try it. I will see what I can find out about open campgrounds though.

Rosemary
Rosemary Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
The closing dates of campgrounds vary, but you can find the dates here: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camp...yellowstone.htm

This is the site of Xanterra, the concessionaire running the campgrounds and hotels in the park.

Be careful of planning your visit around the average temperatures for Yellowstone listed on many sites. Variability is the rule rather than the exception in this part of the country. Freezing temperatures at night are a regular occurance already and will become more common with each passing week. However, late fall and early spring are among the best times to visit the park. Crowds are greatly reduced and animals are more visible. The risks of poor weather are more than offset by the great rewards of the fall.

Enjoy the trip.

John Campbell
Powell, WY
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote