Yosmite National Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hello...any one have any suggestions how to successfully call in to reserve National Park camp site/s out west. Sounds tricky with only minutes (so they say) to be lucky enough to reserve a site. Need some idea what we're in for. Live in WI. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
Lorraine M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I haven't tried it but I have a suggestion- call earlier to someone in the park and ask what sites are less popular but still nice. You may not get a campsite in the valley floor but there are lots of other campgrounds that are less hard to reserve (I can't remember the names of the ones I've stayed in and don't know about trailer sites which is why I suggest calling first, before the day you can reserve.) Or there are probably other ways to research sites. Yosemite valley is very crowded and while beautiful, more commercial than the rest of the park, and you can drive to it easily from some of the other campgrounds.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I haven't tried it but I have a suggestion- call earlier to someone in the park and ask what sites are less popular but still nice. You may not get a campsite in the valley floor but there are lots of other campgrounds that are less hard to reserve (I can't remember the names of the ones I've stayed in and don't know about trailer sites which is why I suggest calling first, before the day you can reserve.) Or there are probably other ways to research sites. Yosemite valley is very crowded and while beautiful, more commercial than the rest of the park, and you can drive to it easily from some of the other campgrounds.

Thanks for the info. Today we have some snow in northern WI. Thinking about Yosemite helps one feel warmer. Happy traveling to you.
Lorraine M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Today we have some snow in northern WI. Thinking about Yosemite helps one feel warmer. Happy traveling to you.
I just returned from Yosemite. First night we (my two grand sons and I) arrived without a reservation (which is usually the way things go for me) and were told that campgrounds in the valley were full, but there was room at Hodgdon Meadows or Wawona. We were at the gate next to Hodgdon Meadows so we stayed there. The next day we went into the valley and paid for a reservation for the NEXT day, and got on the waiting list for that evening. Long story made short, after standing in the rain like a refugee for a hour, we were awarded the 11th spot out of 12 spots that opened up that day. I guess unless a person has reservations, the key is to get on the waiting list asap, since there are always cancellations!
Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #5

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
We went to Yosemite last summer. The 15th of each month the reservations open at 0700 for the month five months in advance. Check the NPS Yosemite website for a calendar. We set up our Rec.gov account. Cruised around the website and made a list of possible campsites at the 3 valley campgrounds. We had 2 computers going and we're logged on to reservations, to a campsite, ready to 'book now'. At 0700 we started on our list, kept getting 'not available'! Started to panic - I accidently pushed the back button and logged out, Dave kept trying, I logged back in - picked a spot in the middle of my list and got it - this was at 0706. At 0712 all the valley sites were gone! As Mac B mentioned you can usually get into the other campgrounds in the park. We loved it, the place takes your breath away - it was worth the 6 minutes of high anxiety. Plan to go back next Spring. Good luck!

Happy Trails

(Dave) & Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 14 ft Widebody Burro / 1998 Land Rover Discovery
I found out the reason it is difficult to get a reservation either by phone or through internet, is that when a date becomes available, it is (usually) already taken by someone who reserved some earlier dates and their time frame lapsed into the dates that you are checking on.

Sorry I don't have a remedy for the problem. As stated, it is worth the hassle, Yosemite is incredible ANY time of the year.

Mac B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 1955 Kencraft 20 ft
Quote:
Hello...any one have any suggestions how to successfully call in to reserve National Park camp site/s out west. Sounds tricky with only minutes (so they say) to be lucky enough to reserve a site. Need some idea what we're in for. Live in WI. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Hello , we live here in California and have made reservations in that area before. Here's a site I believe we used to make our reservations www.recreation.gov
Good luck and have a lot of fun up there it's beautiful, especially this time year, be sure to bring warm clothing. It does get cold and there is snow. Sometimes.

Shannon
Shannon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #8

Registry
One option is to make YOUR date two weeks in advance with the last few days the ones you will actually be there. Then cancel the first part sometime after you get the reservation (I'm sure there is a cancellation or change fee but it gives you an earlier crack at the openings- and also gives some one who didn't know to try at the exact minute they opened reservations to get the part you cancel.)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I figured there was some trickery being done on the CA reservations. No way that the sites would be gone when you call the minute they open 6 months ahead unless people were pulling something.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #10

Registry
Greg, it is worse than that, some people buy the reservations and then sell them on Ebay (scalp them, I should say!)
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
I am Californian that never gets tired of Yosemite. It's the most beautiful place in the world as far as I'm concerened.
If it's not snowed in when you get there you must go up to Tuolumne Meadows. It is above the tree line with massive boulder outcroppings and green meadows with streams running through them.
Most people never see the most beautiful part of the Park. When you get up to the Meadows you are almost on top of the world. It is so beautiful that you realize there is truly a God in heaven.
I hope I didn't get to mushy,but the beauty of Tuolumne Meadows,to me, is breathtaking. I don't have a better way to describe it.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #12

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
I hope to get a site when they come up Tuesday morning. What campgrounds/sites do you recommend?
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Since you are coming from Wisconsin go into Yosemite from the east side up over Tioga Pass on highway 120. It's a georgeous drive and will take you past Tuolumne Meadows.

Tioga pass is the highest pass in California. It's just a long pull up the hill from the east. Not really as steep and scary as some of our other passes are. I often go to and fro on it to get to the east side of the Sierra's without having to go 2 passes north to the next best pass.

When you get into the valley be sure to take a day ride out highway 41 through several tunnels to the Glacier Point road. It's magnificent to stand at Glacier Point and look down into the valley and across to Half Dome. Then on the drive back into the valley you see a large turnout after the last tunnel. Be sure to stop there and take a picture. It's the most photographed scene in Yosemite, the one most people have seen when they think of Yosemite.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #14

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
I agree with John Tuolumne Meadows is spectacular. And you know Kings Canyon is a beautiful spot too if you can't get into Yosemite. We used to live nearby in Clovis.
GailO
Gail & Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
When I went 3.5 years ago, I got lucky. Decided to go just a month in advance and was able to reserve a campsite at Hodgdon Meadow.

I believe there are a couple of CGs in Yosemite that are first come first served, no reservations. But that is a gamble, waiting in line to see if a site opens up.

Glacier Point was my favorite place in the park. What a view!!!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #16

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail & Tom O. View Post
I agree with John Tuolumne Meadows is spectacular. And you know Kings Canyon is a beautiful spot too if you can't get into Yosemite. We used to live nearby in Clovis.
GailO
That's a great suggestion!
Actually, I'll be coming in from Sacramento (hopefully Washington State to Oregon Gathering to friend's in Sacramento). Any further suggestions?
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #17

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
You can take state rd 120 out of Manteca and go into the north entrance of Yosemite. It looks very curvy. But 120 is what goes to Tuolumne Meadows. We weren't really campers when we lived in CA, except at some horse shows. We did tent camp at Tuolumne a LONG time ago and there were bears everywhere at night. We were new to CA then and we thought they were raccoons LOL!

I used to go to a horse seminar in Fiddletown (SE of Sacramento) and it was so beautiful in May. I see there is an RV campground nearby in Plymouth
(Far Horizons 49er Village RV Resort).

We are taking our EggCamper to Sacramento in June and then on to Corvallis, OR, a long way from Maryland
GailO
Gail & Tom O. is offline   Reply With Quote