1-2 year Sabbatical in a FGRV - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora B View Post
But with a cap/topper on a truck we will be able to just mount some kayaks and a SUP on top of the car.
Sounds like you are making head way on picking out what works best for you. As someone who often travels on their own I should warn you that although I loved being able to mount things to the roof of the tug, I find it hard to get items off & on the roof on my own. More so now with a truck with a higher roof line than my previous tug. Something to consider if you plan to do any kayaking when off on your own adventures without your mom.

Carol

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #30

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
You will like the Bigfoot if that is your ultimate choice. I am amazed at how well insulated mine is. I turned on heat and brought it from. 9 deg F to 65 and having to peel off layers in a short period. Comfy in 30 minutes and toasty in an hour. The furnace regulated the temperature very well which is important for my dogs.

I like slide outs for space but opted to avoid them because I wanted weather proof and no leaks or drafts for longevity. If you winter camp slides are a bad idea.

The flat roof of a Bigfoot is perfect for mounting solar panels and anything else you might like, like satellite TV or other antennas. I am thrilled with my solar panels and love my electric blanket as it allows me to avoid furnace use much of the time.

As for tow vehicles, they all seem to get the same mileage while towing--about 12-13 mpg. It takes a certain amount of energy to move something heavy. That cost fuel. If you want to save money on fuel smaller camper are better. Smaller is less scary towing also. Personally, I would go bigger and drive slower.

The smaller tow vehicles don't hold up as well. The big advantage of a smaller tow vehicle is the fuel economy when you are not towing. A smaller tow vehicle is more economical. Which is the primary advantage to a tiny egg camper.

For a Bigfoot, I'd recommend a Chevy or GMC 2500 series with a Duramax diesel. The two wheel drive's get better gas mileage but the 4x4's never get stuck. 22 mpg is achievable with these.
I would feel comfortable buying one of these with more than 100,000 miles. They are built like tanks and superior to anything else available.

I had a very scary experience getting stuck towing once and would never consider 2 wheel drive again. These pickups have better brakes than anything smaller. Dodge and Ford 3/4 ton diesel pickups are good options also.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #31

Name: Lora
Trailer: Shopping for escape or Bigfoot
New York
1-2 year Sabbatical in a FGRV

Night-

Can you tell me more about your solar power set up? I'm just beginning my research on solar.

I'm curious how most full timers access the internet. Cellular or satellite? Do people travel with a sat. phone?

You have piqued my interest, what kind of dogs do you have? How do you handle them when you leave for a few hours?

In the past few days I've come to the same conclusion a 4x4 250/2500 truck.
I hadn't really considered buying a used truck. I'm somewhat worried about the transmission being abused by a previous owner. Maybe I'm too paranoid? Decisions decisions....
Old 06-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #32

Connecticut
I have six 205 watt monocrystaline panels, a 40 amp charge controller, two 200 AH mastervolt slimline AGM batteries. This is overkill for the summer but has worked well in several long stretches of cloudy rainy weather.

I have a spike in the ground type tether for the puppy. The mom stays close usually. I don't leave then unattended for long and I am careful to excerise them several times a day to keep them tired.

Forgot you other questions. Sorry I did not see your post until now.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #33

Connecticut
For Internet access I use my iPhone or pull the SIM card out and put it in a MiFi jet pack which creates a hotspot. I use an amp and a marine antenna for that.

I doth have a sat phone but plan to get one -- mostly for my boat. I recommend the iridium service. Buy their best sat phone and a. 500 minute for one year package and this will provide twice a day up and download of email if you done send and re sieve attachments or reply with all the text of a conversation going back several exchanges.

Please update us on your progress. Hope you are strong and well.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #34

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
On the kayak storage issue, I use an AIRE inflatable kayak (not a pool toy). It folds up into a small tub I can put about anyplace.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 AM   #35

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
On the kayak storage issue, I use an AIRE inflatable kayak (not a pool toy). It folds up into a small tub I can put about anyplace.

I know a few people that use these to get to shore from yachts anchored out. On shore you deflate them, stuff them in a backpack and take them with you. No worries about wall-eyed PO'd crazies slashing your dink.

I like the folding kayaks better but those take too long to set up and take apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV