10 States for Retirees 2011 - The Good and the Bad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another benefit of NH is the lowest crime rate in the USA, not to mention low unemployment, high SAT scores, no sales tax and no income tax.

Norm and Ginny

But they have you !!!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I was planning to shop in Oregon with no sales tax, just across the border.
Years ago that happened a lot, but the states have stepped up enforcement in those areas and now look at sales taxes on internet sales, the states are reaching out for untaxed sources.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The truly money-motivated retiree may find an affordable domicile in Ecuador or Costa Rica. Very low cost of living, affordable health care, lots of fresh edibles in the markets.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
becoming an expatriate has it's risks in losing everything overnight with a government overthrow and you are still subject to US taxation, but your money travels further there.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Years ago that happened a lot, but the states have stepped up enforcement in those areas and now look at sales taxes on internet sales, the states are reaching out for untaxed sources.
Is there a customs / immigration check point on the Oregon - Washington border ?
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Is there a customs / immigration check point on the Oregon - Washington border ?
No but if you've ever sat in traffic crossing that bridge you'll think twice about "routinely" crossing it for shopping LOL! The only real advantage is on big ticket items and how many of those do you buy? Food isn't taxed in Wa.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #21

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
No but if you've ever sat in traffic crossing that bridge you'll think twice about "routinely" crossing it for shopping LOL! The only real advantage is on big ticket items and how many of those do you buy? Food isn't taxed in Wa.
Good to know about food. As a retiree, I'm pretty good about avoiding traffic.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
The problems with the I-5 bridge over the Columbia is mostly at rush hour times.
Lots of people from the Washington side come to Oregon to shop, in fact there's lots of shopping as soon as you get into Oregon.
Steve, you're more likely to get into trouble with "big ticket" items than everyday purchases. Things like RVs and automobiles you'll have to pay the sales tax no matter where you bought them if you're a Washington resident.
Also Vancouver is not all there is to Washington, and the I-5 bridge is not the only bridge.

Another little twist, at this time Oregonians don't have to pay Washington sales tax. You do have to ask and sometimes show proof you're an Oregonian. There's a current movement in Olympia to change that, but I doubt it'll happen.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Delaware, not just a small city in Ohio anymore. I guess all those yrs. behind the nylon curtain were worth it.

jack
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The problems with the I-5 bridge over the Columbia is mostly at rush hour times.
Or construction. I always seem to hit one or the other when I go through Portland. In fact my last trip I went down to Oregon below the Tricities and hit a horrible accident, on the bridge, for over an hour.

Quote:
Steve, you're more likely to get into trouble with "big ticket" items than everyday purchases. Things like RVs and automobiles you'll have to pay the sales tax no matter where you bought them if you're a Washington resident.
I was thinking more along the lines of televisions, washing machines, etc

Quote:
Also Vancouver is not all there is to Washington, and the I-5 bridge is not the only bridge.
Very true, I mostly hang to the coast now and go down through Astoria

Quote:
Another little twist, at this time Oregonians don't have to pay Washington sales tax.
It's the same for all states who either don't have sales tax or a much smaller sales tax. I used to own 3 hair salons in Spokane and we were always getting people wanting the sales tax break on shampoo. I just paid it myself rather than fill out all the paperwork for pennies.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe on most state income tax returns is a line where you are supposed to report out of state, untaxed purchases and then pay a "use tax" equivalent. Pennsylvania contacted me about my Escape due to Custom's and I told them that I paid the use tax when I registered the trailer with the State. Just be careful when filling out your forms this time of year.
I recall years ago some states tried to tax airlines for purchases made "in flight" over the state. One can just imagine that book keeping nightmare.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Another little twist, at this time Oregonians don't have to pay Washington sales tax. You do have to ask and sometimes show proof you're an Oregonian. There's a current movement in Olympia to change that, but I doubt it'll happen.
It should be noted that the Washington sales tax exemption for residents of Oregon (and other no-sales-tax States/Provinces) only applies to goods removed from the State of Washington. RCW 82.08.0273

Tax is due/collected on such consumables as restaurant meals, lodging, car rentals, and other such used-inside-the-State goods/services.

Also:

Retailers are not obliged by the law to grant sales tax exemptions and many don't/won't due to paperwork requirements. Recourse in that case is for out-of-Staters to seek refunds directly from the Department of Revenue.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Retailers are not obliged by the law to grant sales tax exemptions and many don't/won't due to paperwork requirements. Recourse in that case is for out-of-Staters to seek refunds directly from the Department of Revenue.

Francesca
True but for the sake of arguing with the customers and creating good will I'd just eat it. Not that many people even asked. Also, remember this is "Spokane", Eastern Wa.! Lots of divergent people with lots of divergent ideas about government and taxes. I don't need no enemies LOL!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
True but for the sake of arguing with the customers and creating good will I'd just eat it. Not that many people even asked. Also, remember this is "Spokane", Eastern Wa.! Lots of divergent people with lots of divergent ideas about government and taxes. I don't need no enemies LOL!!!
Is Spokane even in Washington?