10 States for Retirees 2011 - The Good and the Bad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
No but if you've ever sat in traffic crossing that bridge you'll think twice about "routinely" crossing it for shopping LOL! The only real advantage is on big ticket items and how many of those do you buy? Food isn't taxed in Wa.
Good to know about food. As a retiree, I'm pretty good about avoiding traffic.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The problems with the I-5 bridge over the Columbia is mostly at rush hour times.
Lots of people from the Washington side come to Oregon to shop, in fact there's lots of shopping as soon as you get into Oregon.
Steve, you're more likely to get into trouble with "big ticket" items than everyday purchases. Things like RVs and automobiles you'll have to pay the sales tax no matter where you bought them if you're a Washington resident.
Also Vancouver is not all there is to Washington, and the I-5 bridge is not the only bridge.

Another little twist, at this time Oregonians don't have to pay Washington sales tax. You do have to ask and sometimes show proof you're an Oregonian. There's a current movement in Olympia to change that, but I doubt it'll happen.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Delaware, not just a small city in Ohio anymore. I guess all those yrs. behind the nylon curtain were worth it.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #24

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The problems with the I-5 bridge over the Columbia is mostly at rush hour times.
Or construction. I always seem to hit one or the other when I go through Portland. In fact my last trip I went down to Oregon below the Tricities and hit a horrible accident, on the bridge, for over an hour.

Quote:
Steve, you're more likely to get into trouble with "big ticket" items than everyday purchases. Things like RVs and automobiles you'll have to pay the sales tax no matter where you bought them if you're a Washington resident.
I was thinking more along the lines of televisions, washing machines, etc

Quote:
Also Vancouver is not all there is to Washington, and the I-5 bridge is not the only bridge.
Very true, I mostly hang to the coast now and go down through Astoria

Quote:
Another little twist, at this time Oregonians don't have to pay Washington sales tax.
It's the same for all states who either don't have sales tax or a much smaller sales tax. I used to own 3 hair salons in Spokane and we were always getting people wanting the sales tax break on shampoo. I just paid it myself rather than fill out all the paperwork for pennies.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe on most state income tax returns is a line where you are supposed to report out of state, untaxed purchases and then pay a "use tax" equivalent. Pennsylvania contacted me about my Escape due to Custom's and I told them that I paid the use tax when I registered the trailer with the State. Just be careful when filling out your forms this time of year.
I recall years ago some states tried to tax airlines for purchases made "in flight" over the state. One can just imagine that book keeping nightmare.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

Another little twist, at this time Oregonians don't have to pay Washington sales tax. You do have to ask and sometimes show proof you're an Oregonian. There's a current movement in Olympia to change that, but I doubt it'll happen.
It should be noted that the Washington sales tax exemption for residents of Oregon (and other no-sales-tax States/Provinces) only applies to goods removed from the State of Washington. RCW 82.08.0273

Tax is due/collected on such consumables as restaurant meals, lodging, car rentals, and other such used-inside-the-State goods/services.

Also:

Retailers are not obliged by the law to grant sales tax exemptions and many don't/won't due to paperwork requirements. Recourse in that case is for out-of-Staters to seek refunds directly from the Department of Revenue.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Retailers are not obliged by the law to grant sales tax exemptions and many don't/won't due to paperwork requirements. Recourse in that case is for out-of-Staters to seek refunds directly from the Department of Revenue.

Francesca
True but for the sake of arguing with the customers and creating good will I'd just eat it. Not that many people even asked. Also, remember this is "Spokane", Eastern Wa.! Lots of divergent people with lots of divergent ideas about government and taxes. I don't need no enemies LOL!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
True but for the sake of arguing with the customers and creating good will I'd just eat it. Not that many people even asked. Also, remember this is "Spokane", Eastern Wa.! Lots of divergent people with lots of divergent ideas about government and taxes. I don't need no enemies LOL!!!
Is Spokane even in Washington?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Another benefit of NH is the lowest crime rate in the USA, not to mention low unemployment, high SAT scores, no sales tax and no income tax.
No politicians in NH? WOW!
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #30

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
In Steve's case it's actually in Nevada...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I lived in Wa from 85 to 95 before being transferred to Texas. {but I grew up in Texas til my dad who was in the border patrol got transferred to the NY/ Canadian border in 60 ) I loved Wa state, hiking,biking etc. and have property next to Mt Baker. Yep you can barely cut a tree without a permit and it seems they are going nuts up there. I used to drive to Portland and go to Costco and do my shopping there to avoid the taxes. You still have to let someone pump your gas in Oregon too. My daughter lives in Sherwood, OR so I have to say nice things about it. I love the beaches along the coast and the cheese factories. (time to get that camper restored and hit the road west).
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
There was a movement several years ago to carve a new state out of Eastern Washington, North Idaho, and Western Montana. A lot of people in the Spokane area really resent the massive population center in Seattle determining everything for them.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #33

Quote:
.......... A lot of people in the Spokane area really resent the massive population center in Seattle determining everything for them.
Unlike Oregon, where the east and west sides are in perfect harmony.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #34

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
There was a movement several years ago to carve a new state out of Eastern Washington, North Idaho, and Western Montana. A lot of people in the Spokane area really resent the massive population center in Seattle determining everything for them.
Same problem here, only on a much smaller scale.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
NH Politicians

Carl,

Here's one for you, NH has more politicians per capita than any state in the nation. There is one representative for about every 2500 citizens. Typically it means you have one in your neighborhood.

The trick is we only pay them $200 a year. It's something you want to do because you want to do 'good'; it's not a job for life.

Take a look at what a state legislator makes in most states.

Different....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #36

We are torn between AZ and AL. AL is nice and more reasonable in many ways. If we stay in KS, we won't live until retirement because they are in the process of taxing us to death!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #37

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Carl,

Here's one for you, NH has more politicians per capita than any state in the nation. There is one representative for about every 2500 citizens. Typically it means you have one in your neighborhood.

The trick is we only pay them $200 a year. It's something you want to do because you want to do 'good'; it's not a job for life.

Different....
That is just incredible. Good for NH.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Carl,

Different....
Brilliant. That's the way it should be everywhere -- its supposed to be public service!
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote